Elite 1 Magic Weekend

audois

In Carcassonne this weekend to launch the newseason, Same 10 sides as last year – no sign of promotion or relegation. Carcassonne nearly didn’t start at all in 2018 but went on to appear in both Cup and Championship Finals. We have been down 8 sides not long ago, I like to think it’s going OK. Across the board it’s coming together nicely.

Toulouse Olympique reserves (Broncos) back runners last couple of seasons are slowly improving, Seb Raguin of Dragons fame is their new coach and hopefully will be looking to two new arrivals in full back/centre Benjamin Laguerre from Salon and half back Hugo Bravo from Carpentras. Little Palau from Catalogne fight above their weight. Experienced Olivier Elima I reckon doing more than a decent job as coach will be strengthened with two other former Dragons veterans in Ben Pomeroy and Jamil Fakir, With probably the smallest budget at around €250,000 they’ll be outside the 6 playoff places but at home will be difficult to beat.

Avignon had a poor season last time out especially for them as top-dogs not so long ago, Still under the coaching of Renaud Guigue would be looking to make progress. The Vaucluse region still treiziste turns out still lots of youngsters- the best finishing up at the Dragons.Their U18s were Champions again last year and some will be pushing for Elite 1 from now on. St Gaudens now to be led by the former TO Broncos boss Julien Gerin will rely possibily on three new Australians in Freeman/Keenan/Green to do the business, It’s along time back when they had real standing – Dulac and centre partner Sirvent were wonderful.

2019 has seen Albi and Villeneuve both getting up off the ground – at last. Both made the play-offs and could be close again. The former have ten new faces including a pair of Tweedheads Seagulls in Cook and Murphy plus Hull FC’s Nzoungou. USV will miss Goffin their young tearaway backrower but under new coach Devecchi look like they will also not be far off too. Full back Lasvenes Elite 1 player of the year last time out returns which will be big plus along side Ousty from Albi.

The Aude as usual will be there. Carcassonne will want to build on last years efforts.Two of their stalwarts Baile and Saddaoui have retired. But wing power house Lo is returning from PNG and Leigh’s front rower Emmitt is heading over plus an Australian Pellow from West Tigers. Big spenders FCL €800,000 will want to make up from last years disappointments, Marginet is back from his Newcastle stint supported by St Esteves lively prop Bartes. Limoux who also missed out last season. Coach Greseque will turn a page with Texido and Murcia retiring and losing star running back Lasvenes. A pair of Townsville Blackhawks in Santo and Nona plus Murphy from North Sydney will hopefully take up the slack,

Lastly St Esteve-XIII Catalans. Will they repeat last years achievements ? Goffin was with the likes of Cozza and Salabio in New Zealand recently with France U19s gaining experience, Fascinating to see how these lads et al develop in 2020.

Lezignans new stand growing nicely at Stade Moulin

Les-travaux-du-stade-du-Moulin-avancent.png

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I read earlier that two clubs have €800k budgets this year - pretty impressive, shame they’re not competing in L1 or the Championship.

Any idea what sort of crowds the teams get Audois?

Seems like Budgets for Elite 1 clubs range from 250,000 to 800,000 Euro's making France the 3rd best country to play rugby league in professionally after Australia and UK. French Elite One competition needs to be lifted to the level of the UK Championship with Catalan & Toulouse in Super League and French TV rights deal. Then promotion & relegation can happen between French sides in Super League and Elite 1. Remember you heard it here first!

Thanks for a typically thorough and comprehensive resume of the forthcoming Elite 1 season, audois - much appreciated!

15 hours ago, Eddie said:

I read earlier that two clubs have €800k budgets this year - pretty impressive, shame they’re not competing in L1 or the Championship.

Any idea what sort of crowds the teams get Audois?

We're talking lots of hundreds really. Derby fixtures especially in the Aude will pull a few thousand-  there being 6 in total. Catalan derby St Esteve-Palau will get four figures too. Shame we have too few. Avignon once had Carpentras but thats been gone some years now.Villeneuve, Albi and St Gaudens too far apart. Everyone needs a Derby fixture.

There's talk that the Championship Final in 2020 will be returning to Narbonne. If two Aude sides got there could pull maybe 6000. Some would have it that the Dragons-TO evolution is the problem. I attended the 2002 Final in Beziers between UTC-Villeneuve infront of 4,000 or so.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

Keep an eye out for Latrell Schaumkel at Villeneuve. Has played NSW cup at Newtown, Norths and Manly and has played plenty of Ron Massey Cup for Glebe-Burwood. He has plenty of pace and can break a game in a heartbeat. He’s over there with his relative Pita Godinet. Hopefully a big year ahead for Villeneuve.

6 minutes ago, Rage said:

1st match kick's off at 2.30pm & the 2nd @ 4.30pm. 

And 12:30, 2:30 and 4:30 tomorrow.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pleasant day here in Carcassonne today fortunately . USC played a Pro 16 fixture last night at Stade Domec.- will the pitch stand it I ask.

23 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

If i'm not mistaken, the colours on the score graphic are the wring way round. Avignon playing in blue. 

Yep, Avignon in blue, Palau in red. 12-6 at half-time.

3 hours ago, audois said:

Pleasant day here in Carcassonne today fortunately . USC played a Pro 16 fixture last night at Stade Domec.- will the pitch stand it I ask.

The playing surface looks a little agricultural, after just one match.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's Great to see French RL get some coverage. I always cringe when nay sayers about RL say its only played in the North of England, OZ, PNG and Auckland. Its Far more popular in France than they realise. 800k a year is a decent budget tbh. 

There must be some Anzacs making a decent wadge and living a good life playing in Elite 1.

Hopefully some talent comes through to SL as if France can ever get 30-50 Players at SL level as Starters they will have some National Team. 

Quite a bit of "le bif" in match 2. Good entertainment overall.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 hours ago, barnyia said:

Toulouse v st gaudens canceled tomorrow, half the team have gone down ill. 

Fair to say the St. Gaudens fans not happy about this. I can't remember the last time a pro game in Britain was postponed due to one team being ill. The Carcasssone groundsman probably not too upset though.

Archived