Super League moving 'as fast as the slowest man', says Brian McDermott

Eddie

This is the the problem with SL...the intention was good but the long term result is not and has led to a slow demise.

People need to follow what Toronto is doing....we need to modify some of the old rules which are holding progressive clubs back...some of these ideas currently ion practice make me think of the old Communist Russia...and we all know how that turned out.

Time for RL and SL to rethink and then reload.

He is right it’s a managed decline rather than trying to grow. No excuses when we have a very similar sport in union to act as a barometer. I am not saying do everything like union but acknowledge the good aspects and try and implement them.

10 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

But he wasn't saying this while at Leeds.

I think he had tangible reasons* whilst at Leeds.

Now he sees himself as the great god of all soooper doooper league ?

Saying that, he does have some good points, the game, in my opinion has declined rapidly in the last 8-10 years.

*Excuses for their failings.

I agree that the salary cap should be increased to attract or keep the type of players in SL that could become more household names.

I don't agree about not having a restricted quota for overseas players. I think not having quota could damage pathway for younger players. Maybe seeing them leave the game. Has to be a balance of some sort.

4 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I agree that the salary cap should be increased to attract or keep the type of players in SL that could become more household names.

I don't agree about not having a restricted quota for overseas players. I think not having quota could damage pathway for younger players. Maybe seeing them leave the game. Has to be a balance of some sort.

Absolutely

If the SBW is the tip of the iceberg then maybe Toronto should have joined another sport with more money/profile.

I understand their intentions but let's face it. Super leagues biggest club (leeds) is from a city a quarter the size of Toronto.

I don't think anyone but TWP can afford the investment they are talking about.

I'd be happy the let them do it but I don't think many will follow suit so I can't see it improving anything long term.

And while at least half of SL struggle to spend the cap now will they vote to raise it?

TV will decide in the end...if the new sky deal is twice as much the cap can double in size

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I don't think you can have P&R AND a salary cap. if you have a cap in place its a franchise system, no cap = P&R.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

This is the the problem with SL...the intention was good but the long term result is not and has led to a slow demise.

People need to follow what Toronto is doing....we need to modify some of the old rules which are holding progressive clubs back...some of these ideas currently ion practice make me think of the old Communist Russia...and we all know how that turned out.

Time for RL and SL to rethink and then reload.

What makes you think that any of the traditional teams have either the nous or the money to follow what Toronto is doing?

1 hour ago, tuutaisrambo said:

If the SBW is the tip of the iceberg then maybe Toronto should have joined another sport with more money/profile.

I understand their intentions but let's face it. Super leagues biggest club (leeds) is from a city a quarter the size of Toronto.

I don't think anyone but TWP can afford the investment they are talking about.

I'd be happy the let them do it but I don't think many will follow suit so I can't see it improving anything long term.

And while at least half of SL struggle to spend the cap now will they vote to raise it?

TV will decide in the end...if the new sky deal is twice as much the cap can double in size

Not join another sport but create another (RL) league, a franchised transatlantic league modelled on the major North American pro leagues with its franchises located in major globally-recognized cities strategically chosen to maximize the value of its TV and sponsorship contracts.

38 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

What makes you think that any of the traditional teams have either the nous or the money to follow what Toronto is doing?

I understand that but if they are not going to get on board (for whatever reason) then the least they could do is get out of the way.

54 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I expect some have the nous (Saints, Leeds and Wire at least), maybe not the money but money isn’t everything and the big 5 in SL could certainly spend over the current cap. 

42 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Toronto has spunked an awful lot of money on a distinctly average squad.

Will the other clubs want to introduce systemic wage inflation to do the same as Arygle & co? I very much doubt it.

Since joining the RL community all I've heard is that RL is doing things wrong and needs to change, that's why there's a slew of threads on how to do things to improve the game....is this not one of the ways? Maybe the game needs new owners with more money to make the game more appealing to new fans (do old fans want new fans) and get the game more mainstream. Looking at basic life math almost everyone on this forum won;t be here in 30-40 years...so whos going to watch the game? You need to start appealing to the future fans now, make the game a big sport. SH isn't having issues like the NH, the north need's to change and Argyle is showing them a clear way to move forward. Raise the profile of the game and attract new investors/owners to keep it going up up and up.

choose to be a PROFESIONAL MAJOR sport or stay small time amateur

So what is his proposal? 

More overseas players and a higher cap?

We need to be careful of unintended consequences. 

We have plenty of overseas players in SL - a fair few of them pretty average, I don't think we are missing out on World Class players because we can't fit them into our quota system. I don't think Lami Tasi at Wire last year prevented us from signing Cameron Smith.

Over the last few years we have made changes to the cap, this now sees TWP spending probably £4.5m next year as things stand, up from a cap of £1.8m just a couple of years ago.

So, I ask again, what is the proposal, because we have just increased the cap and introduced marquee player rules. 

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

He acknowledges the salary cap in your link.Just as he does in this later one

https://www.totalrl.com/leeds-land-richie-myler-on-three-year-deal/

Nowhere does he mention changes to it,raising it,getting rid of it.

Not until 2019 after the confirmation that he has made an expensive signing at Toronto.

I'm guessing you didn't find one from his time at London?

Can you confirm you agree with him,please?  Then confirm that those pleb clubs in League 1 and The Championship can spend what they like and get into elite Super League..from whichever country can find a wealthy benefactor...

That you also think the way ahead is to sign expensive,well-known union players,from overseas....?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

2 hours ago, meast said:

I think he had tangible reasons* whilst at Leeds.

Now he sees himself as the great god of all soooper doooper league ?

Saying that, he does have some good points, the game, in my opinion has declined rapidly in the last 8-10 years.

*Excuses for their failings.

This could have been an interesting discussion, but as soon as someone posts the phrase "Sooper Dooper League" I realise this isn't a thread for adults.

3 hours ago, Bert1 said:

He is right it’s a managed decline rather than trying to grow. No excuses when we have a very similar sport in union to act as a barometer. I am not saying do everything like union but acknowledge the good aspects and try and implement them.

Rugby union is all about internationals.......the club game is a mess with a lot of financial issues just like rugby league.

They have a club who play in black with a very rich owner who spends a fortune on players and look how that is turning out now.

We only need to follow Union in one aspect and that is the put International rugby first and stay that way for about 50 years then we might catch them up.

Or we can spend £5m a season on an old cross code star and see if that works instead.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

Archived