Rugby League "Champions League"

jim_57

its a great idea in theory. I'd love to see in RL, this happen.

However, club championships needs to be competed by the 'best' teams - not just by prestigious name.

As previously mentioned...the club game SL needs reducing of its loop fixtures to achieve this. I personally wont be attending my clubs loop fixtures.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toronto, Catalans or Toulouse, NZ Warriors plus an invitation for one Australian and one UK professional team? 

Anyway, critics missed the point that Argyle made, "... to create new opportunities for investment from sponsors and broadcasters."

The event isn't to find the 'best' club team in the world. That's a goal once the competition/event has established itself. The purpose is to raise the profile of the code, the prestige comes later. Like all traditions...

Provincial types will complain that it was tried decades ago or that it wouldn't really be a 'champions' league or that only Australian clubs would win etc etc.

Creative types, however, can work out how to get it up and running. I hope they do.

2 hours ago, Copa said:

The NRL players’ union may have something strong to say about its members playing too many games if this proposal was pushed.

That will depend entirely on how much their appearance fees are.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, The British Lion said:

its a great idea in theory. I'd love to see in RL, this happen.

However, club championships needs to be competed by the 'best' teams - not just by prestigious name.

As previously mentioned...the club game SL needs reducing of its loop fixtures to achieve this. I personally wont be attending my clubs loop fixtures.

My word, Rugby League is full of weirdos. 

17 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

There’s not any time for an International weekend either but we’re getting one of those next year and if the money is right, teams will push for change. 

Yes, but that’s one weekend.

If we’re going to ‘pilot’ a true international club competition with involvement from the NRL then we might need to start small and gradually expand (as soccer did a long time ago).

17 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

If the purpose of this is to prolong an inevitable English SL vs Australia NRL final then I don't really see the point. It would be a pretty stinky trud to polish.  

Nah, the purpose is to provide investment opportunities for sponsors, thereby increasing the code's profile and opportunities. 

14 minutes ago, solly said:

Nah, the purpose is to provide investment opportunities for sponsors, thereby increasing the code's profile and opportunities. 

It is true certainly that this would at least provide an opportunity to increase exposure. For example despite having 3 pro Leagues in Europe I bet the only club comp of t'other code your average joe can name is the Heineken Cup. 

You'd need a conference structure in both the Super League and the NRL to make this credible. I get the idea of having the best from each nation, but a world club competition should be THE best from each competition. If you create conferences, then at least you can argue about them being separate winners.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

You'd need a conference structure in both the Super League and the NRL to make this credible. I get the idea of having the best from each nation, but a world club competition should be THE best from each competition. If you create conferences, then at least you can argue about them being separate winners.

You absolutely do not need a conference structure in Super League at present. Until we get to a point where we have 18-20 strong teams on and off the pitch, we do not need conferences in Super League. 

5 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

You absolutely do not need a conference structure in Super League at present. Until we get to a point where we have 18-20 strong teams on and off the pitch, we do not need conferences in Super League. 

I wasn't implying having one now. I agree, you'd need at least 18 teams. 3 X 6 would work well in both SL and NRL I feel.

58 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

2x9’s would work well in the NRL going forward, they are lightyears ahead of us and a Conference system could/would work better than here. 

Depends what you want to use conferences for. If it's to group by location, 9s would work for to the Sydney clubs.

If it's for fixtures, 6s would work because you'd get (5 + 5) + 6 + 6 to make 22 rounds.

It's ironic because they could do with one of each for those reasons, and we could do with one of each for the opposite reasons (we'd probably want (8 + ? + 9 to make 25, and 6s to group by East, West and expansion areas).

The idea of a champions league in RL is basically pointless. In football it works because it's a level up from domestic leagues.

Man City win their league, as do Bayern, PSG, Real Madrid, Juventus,etc., but who is the best in Europe? That's what the CL is about, a step up in competitive soccer, after the group stages where the teams from the minor leagues play and lose, but UEFA rightly includes them to improve their game.

In RL a Champions league would be a step down from NRL. No NRL coach is going to say, " well we've won the NRL, but wow the champions league , a step up as we play SL teams and teams from Tonga, PNG etc."

It doesn't work, it doesn't really work in yawnion either, with teams from GB and France and er..Italian whipping boys. Apart from this morning 's debacle in Port Moresby, there's nowt to watch for me, except the Euro 2020 qualifiers this weekend, not exactly thrilling but if you look at the games and some of the attendances, that's what a global sport looks like. RL.isn't global and never will be, we should enjoy what we have, nurture it, celebrate the thrill it gives us, and forget pie in the sky ideas. PNG winning today was great for the sport, if not GB, which hopefully is dead as a concept. Roll on 2021.

23 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Sounds a good idea to me if we can get the NRL clubs to play along.

I’d restrict it to just the champions/best team in Australia, New Zealand, Britain, France and Canada.

I guess a big pot of cash may be the best way to lure the NRL clubs to join the party.

Yep I agree. Catalan, Wolfpack, Roosters, Saints and Warriors

Actually I'd chuck in PNG hunters too

9 hours ago, solly said:

Toronto, Catalans or Toulouse, NZ Warriors plus an invitation for one Australian and one UK professional team? 

Anyway, critics missed the point that Argyle made, "... to create new opportunities for investment from sponsors and broadcasters."

The event isn't to find the 'best' club team in the world. That's a goal once the competition/event has established itself. The purpose is to raise the profile of the code, the prestige comes later. Like all traditions...

Provincial types will complain that it was tried decades ago or that it wouldn't really be a 'champions' league or that only Australian clubs would win etc etc.

Creative types, however, can work out how to get it up and running. I hope they do.

Exactly. the World Club Championship determines the best team (IF it is taken seriously by Aus). This is a commercial venture to promote the sport. It would be great to see TWP, NZ Warriors, Catalans, (NY if it happens), Aus team, Eng team.

1 minute ago, redjonn said:

If Gary Hetherington had suggested a Headingley Champions Cup that always included Leeds, a Aussie Team plus Catalan and Toronto I suspect most would rubbish it on here... as a cynical commercial exercise for Leeds.

Correct 

3 hours ago, ojx said:

Exactly. the World Club Championship determines the best team (IF it is taken seriously by Aus). This is a commercial venture to promote the sport. It would be great to see TWP, NZ Warriors, Catalans, (NY if it happens), Aus team, Eng team.

It’s really not all that hard to understand, is it?

Archived