Teams you want to see promoted

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toulouse as French RL needs more opportunities for players to play SL. 

Newcastle and York as I feel they offer alot as Big places, well run teams and Newcastle a Fans favourite for nights out. 

Bradford as potentially good crowds there and a Historically big team. One of only 4 GF winners in SL era 

Now there's a 16 Team SL. If only there was enough TV money for 2.5m a team a season and we would have some competition! 

Well obviously my own but otherwise in L1 it’s got to be Newcastle. All the ingredients are there to grow the club and RL in the NE. In Championship we need London back in SL. 

On 15/11/2019 at 18:30, Wellsy4HullFC said:

London, Bradford, Sheffield, York, Newcastle, Toulouse. All would add something substantial I feel.

Out of interest, I see this phrase "would add something" floating about as much as the tiresome "bring/add nothing"

So can anyone actually tell me what exactly do certain teams "add", what is it they are "adding"? as opposed to someone like Dewsbury or Rochdale, for example, who seemingly won't  "add anything"

It's an open question, not solely meant for you, I'm just quoting you to give and example.

So if anyone can tell me what, say, Bradford or Sheffield might "add" then please do.

Similarly , what is the obsession with York these days?

28 minutes ago, meast said:

Similarly , what is the obsession with York these days?

New stadium: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb_title&time_continue=72&v=VIX_uC4izEM

Crowds up by 259% under the current owners (and might I add, not solely off the back of free/cheap tickets) all while being the little brother at a dilapidated stadium.

Highest placed English team outside of SL in 2019 - just 2 years on from getting beat by Oxford and nearly going out of business.

York now have a few presence in the heart of one of the most visited cities in the UK outside of London. Most clubs only have a shop in their ground and that’s it, York have opened a shop right in the centre = more exposure.

Plenty of youngsters at games too. This for me is the biggie, as outside of SL at most grounds I’ve been to there haven’t been many kids at games. You go to grounds like Batley (a club I really rate and respect) and there’s maybe 10-20 kids....where are the future supporters coming from? At York I estimate 1 in 5 are under 16.

Unlike some Chairmen he hasn’t come in all billy big balls releasing controversial statements and splashing the cash. York had the 2nd lowest Championship budget in 2019 and he seems very modest.

Still a long way to go, but so far so good ?

3 hours ago, AB Knight said:

New stadium: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb_title&time_continue=72&v=VIX_uC4izEM

Crowds up by 259% under the current owners (and might I add, not solely off the back of free/cheap tickets) all while being the little brother at a dilapidated stadium.

Highest placed English team outside of SL in 2019 - just 2 years on from getting beat by Oxford and nearly going out of business.

York now have a few presence in the heart of one of the most visited cities in the UK outside of London. Most clubs only have a shop in their ground and that’s it, York have opened a shop right in the centre = more exposure.

Plenty of youngsters at games too. This for me is the biggie, as outside of SL at most grounds I’ve been to there haven’t been many kids at games. You go to grounds like Batley (a club I really rate and respect) and there’s maybe 10-20 kids....where are the future supporters coming from? At York I estimate 1 in 5 are under 16.

Unlike some Chairmen he hasn’t come in all billy big balls releasing controversial statements and splashing the cash. York had the 2nd lowest Championship budget in 2019 and he seems very modest.

Still a long way to go, but so far so good ?

And that's all very admirable, and good luck to York in their quest, but again, using Batley as an example, if the same happened at Batley would there be such a desire and a clamour to have them in the top league? I doubt it, Toronto are pretty much despised for anything, Huddersfield would be crucified if they did everything York and Toronto did/do.

I've absolutely nothing against York and i wouldn't mind seeing them in SL, but just don't get the obsession among other fans about York, and let's not forget this brand spanking new facility appears to be just another out of town concrete box to a lot of people, although I'm sure it is a great facility.

2 minutes ago, meast said:

And that's all very admirable, and good luck to York in their quest, but again, using Batley as an example, if the same happened at Batley would there be such a desire and a clamour to have them in the top league? I doubt it, Toronto are pretty much despised for anything, Huddersfield would be crucified if they did everything York and Toronto did/do.

I've absolutely nothing against York and i wouldn't mind seeing them in SL, but just don't get the obsession among other fans about York.

Not sure what you mean by Huddersfield would be crucified if they did what York/Toronto do - if Hudds moved into a more suitable stadium for their needs, more than tripled their crowds, opened a shop in Huddersfield train station and had droves of kids coming through the turnstile I’d hope they’d be commended. 

I absolutely love what Toronto are doing, making matches into events instead of just 80mins of rugby. Some clubs, and I include York in this to a certain extent, should copy what they are doing. 

But then I’m a glass half full guy and wish as a sport we’d focus more on the positives, and give more air time to chairmen who talk up the sport instead of those who constantly criticise.

Interestingly I’ve just read a great book on Batlry Bulldogs from when they had Kear in charge and made the Super 8s and I don’t think even the club themselves were wanting promotion! But again if they were averaging 4,000, finishing 3rd in the Championship then yes I’d say that there would be calls for them to make the push.

It would seem a nice 25th anniversary present to those back at the club where they endured a bit of injustice to gain promotion in 2020

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/discord-strikes-cougar-country-1614897.html

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

On 15/11/2019 at 16:56, Oliver Clothesoff said:

York, Newcastle and Sheffield. Three great cities for a day/night out. 

It's not about the night out though is it? What on earth would Sheffield bring with small support and poor ground if any? And this is not a dig at Sheffield. 

Archived