Teams you want to see promoted

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, meast said:

Out of interest, I see this phrase "would add something" floating about as much as the tiresome "bring/add nothing"

So can anyone actually tell me what exactly do certain teams "add", what is it they are "adding"? as opposed to someone like Dewsbury or Rochdale, for example, who seemingly won't  "add anything"

It's an open question, not solely meant for you, I'm just quoting you to give and example.

So if anyone can tell me what, say, Bradford or Sheffield might "add" then please do.

Similarly , what is the obsession with York these days?

It's not that those places offer nothing, they all offer something. But the top players they develop could be serviced by other local clubs if they weren't there, they don't bring many fans after so many years and they aren't a large population centre.

The clubs mentioned service new areas in terms of fans and players, have all got access to good facilities, are in big population centres, are fairly popular tourist destinations (Bradford aside ?) and very well known places. 

If we're trying to be attractive to sponsors nationally, we need bigger areas that are more well known around the country to build scope and recognition. 

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

On 17/11/2019 at 15:44, AB Knight said:

Not sure what you mean by Huddersfield would be crucified if they did what York/Toronto do - if Hudds moved into a more suitable stadium for their needs, more than tripled their crowds, opened a shop in Huddersfield train station and had droves of kids coming through the turnstile I’d hope they’d be commended. 

I absolutely love what Toronto are doing, making matches into events instead of just 80mins of rugby. Some clubs, and I include York in this to a certain extent, should copy what they are doing. 

But then I’m a glass half full guy and wish as a sport we’d focus more on the positives, and give more air time to chairmen who talk up the sport instead of those who constantly criticise.

Interestingly I’ve just read a great book on Batlry Bulldogs from when they had Kear in charge and made the Super 8s and I don’t think even the club themselves were wanting promotion! But again if they were averaging 4,000, finishing 3rd in the Championship then yes I’d say that there would be calls for them to make the push.

I agree with you and like i say, I've nothing against York and believe they are on solid ground and on the up, but just not the games saviour like a lot seem to think.

My comments about Huddersfield were mainly because, when we've offered cheap deals or tried gimmicks or tried to something positive and attract people, it's usually because we are desperate and are tinpot and shouldn't be doing certain things, Salford the same, although Salford may be granted a reprieve after last year.

As I've said, good luck to York.

2 hours ago, meast said:

I agree with you and like i say, I've nothing against York and believe they are on solid ground and on the up, but just not the games saviour like a lot seem to think.

My comments about Huddersfield were mainly because, when we've offered cheap deals or tried gimmicks or tried to something positive and attract people, it's usually because we are desperate and are tinpot and shouldn't be doing certain things, Salford the same, although Salford may be granted a reprieve after last year.

As I've said, good luck to York.

Of course 

Giants offering free or cheap ticket deals = desperate and tin pot 

Bulls offering free or cheap ticket deals = stupid 

Toronto offering free or cheap deals on tickets = innovative and clever marketing 

?

On 17/11/2019 at 14:14, meast said:

Out of interest, I see this phrase "would add something" floating about as much as the tiresome "bring/add nothing"

So can anyone actually tell me what exactly do certain teams "add", what is it they are "adding"? as opposed to someone like Dewsbury or Rochdale, for example, who seemingly won't  "add anything"

It's an open question, not solely meant for you, I'm just quoting you to give and example.

So if anyone can tell me what, say, Bradford or Sheffield might "add" then please do.

Similarly , what is the obsession with York these days?

Nice place.  Very few pound shops.

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 17:59, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I really couldn’t care less. All three offer good pubs/places to eat. 

But not in the immediate vicinity of the Sheffield "stadium"

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 18:55, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It's not that those places offer nothing, they all offer something. But the top players they develop could be serviced by other local clubs if they weren't there, they don't bring many fans after so many years and they aren't a large population centre.

The clubs mentioned service new areas in terms of fans and players, have all got access to good facilities, are in big population centres, are fairly popular tourist destinations (Bradford aside ?) and very well known places. 

If we're trying to be attractive to sponsors nationally, we need bigger areas that are more well known around the country to build scope and recognition. 

That doesn't come remotely close to answering the question, and is merely the usual list of sound bites trotted out whenever this subject is raised. Would you also apply those same 'criteria' to the current incumbents with regard to which clubs you would like to see relegated?

50 minutes ago, Rob Nash said:

Predictably as usual I understand the appeal of Newcastle and York but what makes Sheffield the best option south of the M62?

I can't quite understand the fairly recent love-in for Newcastle when in recent years,as Gateshead,they were struggling and were only rescued after being taken over by the owner of the union club,north of the Tyne.They don't own their own stadium and the club may not be on the firmest of foundations.

York had one of the longest lasting owners,John Guildford,who went through a procession of head coaches but was liked by the supporters.That relationship suddenly changed during the time talks were being undertaken about sharing a new stadium with the local soccer club.

See what happens when the new stadium 'bounce' settles down.

Sheffield have enjoyed success on the field - spoiled somewhat by the enforced merger.Started again from the bottom and despite obvious hostility from the council,and foolishly accepting empty words from politicians have still enjoyed success without ever owning their own stadium.

The determination to succeed,spearheaded by one man on and off the field,has not been emulated anywhere else.

Despite Doncaster being taken under the umbrella of the soccer club they have not been so successful on the field.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

I take your point. However I'm talking about where Sheffield are now. Astonishing they survive. Which is to their credit. What do they have to sell to sponsors/corporate backers? This is a team based in a major population centre yet their lower league neighbours attract (marginally) better crowds and have no trouble filling the corporate boxes. So yes. I do believe Doncaster are better placed.

5 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

That doesn't come remotely close to answering the question, and is merely the usual list of sound bites trotted out whenever this subject is raised. Would you also apply those same 'criteria' to the current incumbents with regard to which clubs you would like to see relegated?

Yes it does. It answers the question perfectly fine. You just didn't like the answer.

I'd apply it both ways, yes.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

If York can improve their team. they could be good for the game, and re-establish it in the city.  I'd like to see this happen.  But TBH they were pretty poor against Fev last season, at Blackpool, at Fev and at York.  They besa Fev in the league game, but Fev were extremely unlucky that day and really deserved to win.  But given the area and lack of other attractions I think RL could really take off in York.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

If York can improve their team. they could be good for the game, and re-establish it in the city.  I'd like to see this happen.  But TBH they were pretty poor against Fev last season, at Blackpool, at Fev and at York.  They besa Fev in the league game, but Fev were extremely unlucky that day and really deserved to win.  But given the area and lack of other attractions I think RL could really take off in York.

As poor as they were they still finished above Leeds reserves?

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Just now, DEANO said:

As poor as they were they still finished above Leeds reserves?

I didn't call your team Hull KR/Hull reserves, why do you insult mine?

Clement Attlee.

50 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Sheffield is one of the best nights out in the country, it would be great for away fans if they went up. 

Except Sheffield haven't got a ground in the accepted sense of the word, they have a field.

Clement Attlee.

Good grief, who comes up with these daft questions? Honestly, for this one , for me OLDHAM. Which club would you like to see a millionaire invest in? OLDHAM. Which club would you like to get the rub of the green? OLDHAM.  Which club would you like to see at Wembley? OLDHAM. From which town  was the the northern rugby union first run for its first 25 years? OLDHAM. ?

8 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I can't quite understand the fairly recent love-in for Newcastle when in recent years,as Gateshead,they were struggling and were only rescued after being taken over by the owner of the union club,north of the Tyne.They don't own their own stadium and the club may not be on the firmest of foundations.

York had one of the longest lasting owners,John Guildford,who went through a procession of head coaches but was liked by the supporters.That relationship suddenly changed during the time talks were being undertaken about sharing a new stadium with the local soccer club.

See what happens when the new stadium 'bounce' settles down.

Sheffield have enjoyed success on the field - spoiled somewhat by the enforced merger.Started again from the bottom and despite obvious hostility from the council,and foolishly accepting empty words from politicians have still enjoyed success without ever owning their own stadium.

The determination to succeed,spearheaded by one man on and off the field,has not been emulated anywhere else.

Despite Doncaster being taken under the umbrella of the soccer club they have not been so successful on the field.

My bold.......where do you get your info ? Guilford was unpopular long before anything to do with new stadium.

I suggest you have a wander through the York forum prior to the timeline you spout.

7 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Good grief, who comes up with these daft questions? Honestly, for this one , for me OLDHAM. Which club would you like to see a millionaire invest in? OLDHAM. Which club would you like to get the rub of the green? OLDHAM.  Which club would you like to see at Wembley? OLDHAM. From which town  was the the northern rugby union first run from for its first 22 years? OLDHAM. ?

You've convinced me ? , I say promote Oldham 

Toulouse, London, Bradford and Newcastle are the only clubs that would offer something valuable to Super League.

Toulouse and Bradford would each have a large fan base, while London and Newcastle could have large fan bases if well marketed, winning games,  and playing in decent stadiums. But equally important the latter two are strategically located far from the M62, giving the game a more national appearance.

Toulouse's promotion would help build the game in France, which is very important, and may also result in a television deal with Catalans that could provide one home game in France on television every weekend.

Archived