Teams you want to see promoted

23 hours ago, Scubby said:

The amount of times we see this fallacy of away fans from clubs that are yet to be promoted is ridiculous. I remember Hull KR fans lauding how many thousands they will take to away grounds week in, week out when they got into SL. And for a few rounds they did. Now, on a Friday night in Warrington there may be a couple of hundred die hards, as there is from Huddersfield or Wakefield. Then you have to subtract the number of home fans who are giving this game the swerve because it is a less attractive fixture (or even a repeat/loop fixture). Away fans then become some kind of comfort cushion to soften the blow of lethargy at your own club.

Having 29 fixtures with 6 loop fixtures is absolutely nuts. So the question of who do you want promoted is simply a question of who can potentially give a quick fix sticky plaster to SL for a few weeks. York or Toulouse probably win that as there is a trip to a new town/stadium or new destination to play around with. In York's case you have the novelty of a fan base that will take a few months to dwindle down to 200 away fans at Warrington on the September Friday night loop fixture.

In the end by October you have the same old ####, the same loop fixtures and the same old who do you want promoted to give a new sticky plaster to the first few weeks of SL next year.

How many games do you attend Scubby?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, meast said:

The last 2 times Leigh have visited Huddersfield, their away support, barring Catalans and London have been the 2 lowest, so in my opinion, Leigh's travelling support was the poorest from all the heartland clubs.

Also bearing in mind that a 6,500 average, whilst being very good is not really representative of the fanbase, a lot of that support was based on a winning team, a moneyman throwing money at it, a lot of bluster and a lot of bandwagoners, due to the winning etc.

I would say Leigh's real hardcore fanbase is around 2,500, that's the kind of figures they would post if they weren't winning every week, possibly, 4,500 if they were a middling super league club?

No disrespect Meast but Huddersfield is the most dreary ground to visit, nothing wrong with the stadium it is great, it is the atmosphere inside the ground or the complete lack of it would be a better description for Giants games, I have attended test matches there and the place transforms completely.

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No disrespect Meast but Huddersfield is the most dreary ground to visit, nothing wrong with the stadium it is great, it is the atmosphere inside the ground or the complete lack of it would be a better description for Giants games, I have attended test matches there and the place transforms completely.

In fairness though if you stuck any team in a 3/4 empty all seater ground it would be a bit dreary. You won't find many Giants fans who disagree that the stadium is far too big for them. Castleford, a club with a ground that I sometimes think only gets given a Health and Safety certificate because of its admittedly pretty good "atmosphere", would be the same if they were playing out of Elland road every week.

51 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

In fairness though if you stuck any team in a 3/4 empty all seater ground it would be a bit dreary. You won't find many Giants fans who disagree that the stadium is far too big for them. Castleford, a club with a ground that I sometimes think only gets given a Health and Safety certificate because of its admittedly pretty good "atmosphere", would be the same if they were playing out of Elland road every week.

Agree with that Tommy, but it still does not make a visit to Huddesfield any better.

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Agree with that Tommy, but it still does not make a visit to Huddesfield any better.

I know what you're saying Harry but you could extend that logic to just complain about most of the league and come up with reasons not to go. It's just the reality right now and as much as I'd love them to get a purpose built 12000 capacity ground but it just isn't likely to happen in the next decade. 

52 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Is this a badge of honour question or something? What has this got to do with it?

I usually find those who comment most about attendances don't actually go to live games, I hear it in the pub from people who don't attend make comment about bad crowds, just wondering if you fall into that category.

You can either answer the question or keep your own council, no badge of honour just a curiosity on my part.

17 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I usually find those who comment most about attendances don't actually go to live games, I hear it in the pub from people who don't attend make comment about bad crowds, just wondering if you fall into that category.

You can either answer the question or keep your own council, no badge of honour just a curiosity on my part.

Well you are wrong on both counts. How difficult is it to see St Helens v Hull KR, or Wigan v Wakefield on a Friday night in June and see hardly any fans in the away end? 

39 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Watching on TV just makes it obvious.  Probably more from the way the cameras are controlled by the TV company than anything.

Its not uncommon for people to comment on the crowd, high or low, so I can’t see what being a passholder or occasional paying fan has to do with it.

Meast isn’t happy no matter how many Hull or HKR travel to Hudds ?

10 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

And what has that got to do with Leigh's low away following?

I partly agree, I would move out tomorrow if we could, but we can't.

On 24/11/2019 at 17:42, yipyee said:

Leigh are a good club with good supporters. 

However if we are to challenge other sports we need to continually grow. 

The SL should have its top clubs with 20-40k target averages 

The championship 10-20k and so on down the pyramid

The only way to achieve this is for a national and international league.

We should be looking to expand after years of consolidation.

40k target average? Can I have some of what you’ve been smoking?

8 minutes ago, Scubby said:

When they were floating around Hillsborough and Doncaster that is plausible 

It’s pretty implausible that a family from Sheffield who like RL enough to have season tickets at a SL club don’t even know Sheffield Eagles exist. 

56 minutes ago, meast said:

And what has that got to do with Leigh's low away following?

I partly agree, I would move out tomorrow if we could, but we can't.

I suppose that similarily when the Giants have visited Hilton Park and the LSV , we aren't a big draw for your fans either

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s pretty implausible that a family from Sheffield who like RL enough to have season tickets at a SL club don’t even know Sheffield Eagles exist. 

Doubtful they don't know , don't care ? , Very plausible 

48 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do you think there are Wasps season ticket holders that don't know Coventry RFC exists? Again, plausible. 

20 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I suppose that similarily when the Giants have visited Hilton Park and the LSV , we aren't a big draw for your fans either

Our away support is poor we don't claim otherwise, I've certainly never thought otherwise, everyone claims to take big numbers everywhere, especially to Huddersfield where the perception is that the away fans "outnumbered" the home fans, it's not true,.it's probably only happened 3 times in 20 years and never by Leigh, Wakefield or anyone else with lower average crowds who thinks they have.

19 hours ago, Bartholemew Smythe said:

Jeez ..North Wales bring more to away grounds than your teams pathetic following. Fart own.

Again, I'll ask what has Huddersfield's "pathetic following" got to do with the fact that Leigh have failed to bring the massive numbers they like to think they have?

Not sure why you feel the need to be belligerent, I was replying to a question that was asked about people's views of Leigh's away support.

I probably shouldn't tell you that we brought more to your place than you brought to us, but for agendas sake I will ?

3 minutes ago, meast said:

Again, I'll ask what has Huddersfield's "pathetic following" got to do with the fact that Leigh have failed to bring the massive numbers they like to think they have?

Not sure why you feel the need to be belligerent, I was replying to a question that was asked about people's views of Leigh's away support.

I probably shouldn't tell you that we brought more to your place than you brought to us, but for agendas sake I will ?

You didn't in 2002 

Archived