Teams you want to see promoted

On 02/12/2019 at 20:37, Eddie said:

40k target average? Can I have some of what you’ve been smoking?

I said 20-40k obv you are small minded with no ambition for growth

Some clubs are not far from 20k now so not too ambitious for top end of SL!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, yipyee said:

I said 20-40k obv you are small minded with no ambition for growth

Some clubs are not far from 20k now so not too ambitious for top end of SL!

Which club do you think could average 40k in super league, or 35k?

1 hour ago, Celt said:

To answer the original question:

Out of the current championship, i would like to see Toulouse Olympique promoted.  I think having 2 french clubs would change the dynamic of the competition.  It would mean a game in France every single week effectively, and grow the sport's profile there as well as making the League feel more diverse and international.

At some point in the future I would like to see Bradford Bulls, York City Knights, and London Broncos (if they were playing out of a proper stadium, and thriving) promoted.  I feel the same about Sheffield Eagles - if they could return to playing out of a proper stadium etc (a long way away i suspect) then they could eventually be a good addition to the pro ranks too.

I think the newer Champ clubs - your Dewsburys, Batleys, Whitehavens etc, would be a disaster for SuperLeague even though they are highly unlikely to win promotion, and Featherstone too - although there is clearly a risk that the latter does get through the playoffs.

So all these clubs you want to see promoted at who’s expense

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

8 hours ago, Celt said:

I would only like to see Toulouse promoted currently.  The others are some way off it I feel.

Toulouse I think would add value ahead of Hull KR and Wakefield, both of whom are a bit 'dead wood' IMO.  

Clubs like Bradford I think could be in the Promotion/Relegation mix in a few years, and could potentially offer more than the likes of Huddersfield.  Currently though, that is clearly not the case.

HKR often get put in the dead wood category but I disagree. Their support is a lot bigger than some SL teams, the atmosphere in the ground is good (it makes better tv than various other SL grounds) and they offer us the one city derby which always had a big gate and cracking atmosphere. 

I wouldn’t want to single any one team out as one we could do without in SL as they all have their fans and it would be disrespectful to do so, but I had to there would be at least three ahead of HKR and Toulouse with their 1,500 fans wouldn’t currently be ahead of them. 

8 hours ago, Celt said:

To answer the original question:

Out of the current championship, i would like to see Toulouse Olympique promoted.  I think having 2 french clubs would change the dynamic of the competition.  It would mean a game in France every single week effectively, and grow the sport's profile there as well as making the League feel more diverse and international.

At some point in the future I would like to see Bradford Bulls, York City Knights, and London Broncos (if they were playing out of a proper stadium, and thriving) promoted.  I feel the same about Sheffield Eagles - if they could return to playing out of a proper stadium etc (a long way away i suspect) then they could eventually be a good addition to the pro ranks too.

I think the newer Champ clubs - your Dewsburys, Batleys, Whitehavens etc, would be a disaster for SuperLeague even though they are highly unlikely to win promotion, and Featherstone too - although there is clearly a risk that the latter does get through the playoffs.

Wht can't you just accept that the Club who win the Grand Final thoroughly deserve their chance to take their place in the SL, that is what sport and competition is all about.

1 hour ago, Gooleboy said:

Wht can't you just accept that the Club who win the Grand Final thoroughly deserve their chance to take their place in the SL, that is what sport and competition is all about.

I doubt that is what he's saying and this is a thread about who you'd like to see in SL and why.

1 hour ago, Gooleboy said:

Wrong. The team that wins the league should go up. They have proved themselves over the course of the season and not just a few cup games

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

1 hour ago, Celt said:

Because they don't.

That might have been the answer 30 years ago, when fans stood on open terracing built on railway sleepers, but not nowadays.

It is arguments like yours that lead to the league becoming poorer and poorer each year.

By all means the winner can get promoted, but there has to be some standards in place. Pro sport had to have standards to start with: stadium being the obvious one. The product that the SuperLeague offers should mean a minimum standard for stadia (it did/does actually contain this in the rules, although SL has been a bit 'flexible' with this). There are other minimum standards required too. Pro pathway is extremely important, so club's should have an appropriate academy with proper coaching, S&C, analysis, medical etc in place. Union splits these by region, so each premiership club in that sport has access to a localised region in terms of youth development. Their Yorkshire region is covered by Carnegie (Leeds Rhinos twin club) who are not currently a premiership club (they were) , but meet the criteria to be promoted should they attain that level. If we were to look after our pathway correctly, then some club's who are totally incapable/have no wish to run an academy, should be nowhere near SuperLeague.  The thought of having (for example) 3 Wakefield clubs in SuperLeague would be nonsensical from a regionalised academy perspective.

If the sport wants to reverse its current shrinking, and be able to generate revenue (TV, crowds, sponsors etc) it needs to avoid just promoting any old ramshackle club from a 1 horse town the world has never heard of, who are incapable of putting in place a proper professional squad. An expanded Championship is all very well, but simply because the lower league teams voted for that, should not mean they automatically get to send whoever they like to the SuperLeague!

Operating under your simplistic model, the SuperLeague could (admittedly unlikely) include Batley, Whitehaven and Dewbury instead of Leeds Rhinos, Catalan Dragons, and Hull FC after 3 years.  I think anyone could see that the only result of that would be poverty for the sport in terms of sponsors, TV deals etc. The salary cap is already falling in real terms, and the only way to reverse that is to grow the market.

Surely those Clubs already in there that meet all these exacting standards should never be relegated, such as Leeds, Hull and Catalans who you mention. And how can you call a Club ramshackle if they have been good enough to earn promotion on merit?

Say if the City Football Group want another project, and decide to see what can be done with Manchester Rangers, over a 10 year period, using Etihad Campus as a starting point... Games promoted heavily to City fans, schools flooded with promo, shirts, tickets, one off games at the Etihad, top players brought in, academies? That'd be small change to them, massive infrastructure in place. How big would you think they could get? 

On 03/12/2019 at 22:12, Eddie said:

Which club do you think could average 40k in super league, or 35k?

I said clubs should aim for 20-40k

What do you think clubs should aim for?

Attract as many away fans as possible and hope the away team carries us??

Clubs that should be aiming for over 20k are Leeds, Wigan, Hull, Toronto and poss Saints and Warrington but would need to enact their stadium expansion plans. 

Catalan are poss hitting a max and poss why they where let into SL as they are no threat to become larger than the establishment.

Toulouse could in future aim for 20k plus

On standards, stadium is important of course. However what was brought to light by Fev being in the Championship Final was full time professionalism. It is inconceivable that any club in Super League could operate at a semi pro level imo and yet is it clear whether that is a requirement to being in the league or not?

4 hours ago, yipyee said:

I said clubs should aim for 20-40k

What do you think clubs should aim for?

Attract as many away fans as possible and hope the away team carries us??

Clubs that should be aiming for over 20k are Leeds, Wigan, Hull, Toronto and poss Saints and Warrington but would need to enact their stadium expansion plans. 

Catalan are poss hitting a max and poss why they where let into SL as they are no threat to become larger than the establishment.

Toulouse could in future aim for 20k plus

So 20,000 then, not 20,000 to 40,000?

Can’t wait to see Toulouse XIII get bigger gates than their union and football teams. 

On 15/11/2019 at 11:23, Private Baldrick said:

Any U.S, Canadian or continental European pioneers of the game, playing to packed stadiums of 40K+, producing a conveyor belt of international standard players.

Until then, Fev will do.

you are the big mistake in the swimming pool and i claim my £50

On 06/12/2019 at 04:03, Eddie said:

So 20,000 then, not 20,000 to 40,000?

Can’t wait to see Toulouse XIII get bigger gates than their union and football teams. 

No 20-40

Wigan get bigger than both union and football teams (orrell before Whelan destroyed them) 

Or you could just be pessimistic!

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

No 20-40

Wigan get bigger than both union and football teams (orrell before Whelan destroyed them) 

Or you could just be pessimistic!

Sadly Wigan and wigan athletics crowds are very similar, despite Wigan athletic being in the second tier. 

Orrell though - classic ?

I would like to see Swinton go up. I feel that for near 30 years they have been screwed over and over by past directors/owners and the Salford Council. If the council had backed the Lions the way they have the Red Devils, they would still be at home. I think their support have suffered for long enough. 

Then their mad last owner who just decided that they weren't going home and that they were going to lose their identity. I talk to their supporters sometimes and they would have accepted Manchester Swinton Lions as their name, but Manchester Lions was an absolute no no. I believe he didn't even consult them and when they found out from a rag comic (The S*n) they stood up to him and he bolted. 

Now there's talk he's going for Rochdale. 

That's no knocking of Salford, but they have a right to be hard done by. 

in terms of english clubs bradford would be the first one if they could be financially stable.  clearly a club who can average 10k is something the game cant easily replace.

york always had good crowds ten years ago before it fell away.  with the new stadium thats another club.

newcastle should be encouraged as well.  gateshead was always a good club who didnt get a fair shake from the RFL.  the money their owner spends on union would be a pittance in comparison to fund a super league club.

toulose should already be in super league.  clearly after the success of les catalans they shouldve been fast tracked in and given the same immunity from relegation les catalans were

and ottowa even though they dont exist.  perez is one switched on dude.  i think he stands a good chance of replicating the success of the wolfpack

7 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

On another tack, after all the moaning last season about Toronto finishing top, and then getting too many advantages, are we finally having the grand final at Headingley this season? Or do we run the risk of Toulouse getting all these advantages?

I would be surprised if anything changes, let's hope that if the Final is in Toulouse, the thousands of fans they have waiting in the wings, ( that some on here inform us about ) who are waiting for them to get into SL, turn out to cheer them on.

8 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

On another tack, after all the moaning last season about Toronto finishing top, and then getting too many advantages, are we finally having the grand final at Headingley this season? Or do we run the risk of Toulouse getting all these advantages?

Yeh the team that comes first shouldn't get all these advantages.....

Unless it's on the m62

Archived