Great Britain v PNG

Michael Ashton

Well that's the end of 4 pathetic performances. Thank goodness I recorded the games and didn't get up early.

I thought PNG were brilliant an completely outplayed GB after the first 20 minutes. It was a pleasure to see good performances from Puara and Star. In addition to these 2 Boas was playing and he plays for Doncaster. They were playing mainly against SL players.

Surely Wain Bennett's contract won't be renewed.

42 minutes ago, Dave W said:

I was wondering when was the last time two current Barrow players played in an International? 

Here's a possibility:   18 October 1952 - Jim Lewthwaite and Ted Toohey played for England v Other Nationalities. They also both played in the 1951 CC Final but I don't know if they were both still at Barrow in 1952.

It's a possibility anyway.

1 hour ago, daveh said:

Can't be positive but it could be in the eighties,Chris Camilleri and Mark McJennett in Welsh jerseys,David Cairns in an England one ?

Good shout on the Welsh lads. It's just a case of whether they both played in the same Wales team whilst at Barrow. 1980 European Championship seems most likely but I can't find any team listings. 

7 hours ago, daveh said:

Can't be positive but it could be in the eighties,Chris Camilleri and Mark McJennett in Welsh jerseys,David Cairns in an England one ?

26 Jan 1980: Camilleri AND McJennett against France at Lowerhouse Lane

According to Wikipedia McJennett was at Barrow 79-84 and Camilleri in 1980 but played 44 games. He's only listed as playing 15 games in 80/81 so he must have been there in 79/80  so it looks like he was at Barrow in Jan, 1980.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120601234058/http://www.nwemail.co.uk/sport/raiders/barrow-rl-s-great-britons-1.906283?referrerPath=raiders

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 14:08, Dave W said:

I was wondering when was the last time two current Barrow players played in an International? 

Liam Harrison and Dave Allen for Ireland in 2009?

got a feeling Liam was named in squad but maybe pulled out injured, could be wrong though.

Don't think they ever played all together at international level but Lewthwaite, Jackson, Goodwin and Castle is one heck of a three quarter line especially with Ted Toohey and Willie Horne at halfback.

Did David Cairns and Eddie ever play together at U23 ?

Shipbuilider01.png

7 hours ago, Gus Tyson said:

found this -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_European_Cup

Ireland beat Serbia on 18th October 2009 in the European cup, both Liam Harrison and Dave Allen scored for Ireland.

Dave Allen will have played his last game for Barrow - the 2009 Championship Grand Final, no less! - before this match. Being out of contract, was he still a Barrow player at that point?

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 14:28, Dave W said:

Dave Allen will have played his last game for Barrow - the 2009 Championship Grand Final, no less! - before this match. Being out of contract, was he still a Barrow player at that point?

fair point, suppose you can claim he was as he will have earned his call up from his performances in a barrow shirt.

he was a quality player for us in the little time we had him

Archived