Mr Perez and his 'Hall of Fame '

Rach

Firstly before anyone slates me as an M62 luddite then take last 4 seasons watching expansion clubs (stags , All Golds . Bears n Crusaders )..erm clearly not ...

But our Bulls new honcho takes the biscuit for insulting our current teams in this missive  ... 

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/18034949.perez-keen-highlight-importance-northern-bulls-heritage/?ref=rss&fbclid=IwAR3fblj8gH88AKXI1rwDqt4AASS7I6XrxZXPtLIyKZSNGtk_zhVUJSYU-FI

So respecting our former players is something we don't do as a sport ?? Want to view the Hall of Fame 's at Keighley ( since the late 90's ) , Barrow , Hunslet . Batley , Whitehaven , Workington ,Widnes ,Featherstone , Dewsbury etc etc  All compiled by volunteers interested in preserving our games heritage .but your Hall of Fame is something you are bringing to game ??

no doubt its all something new if Toronto have overseen it ..

All for growing the game but take the proverbial out of those that have given to the sport of their own volition n you are on dodgy ground ..

Just now, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Not saying there is one, but that implies it's new concept over here and no one else had done it before.

It doesn't imply anything of the sort unless your desperately hunting for something to be outraged about. 

51 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Not saying there is one, but that implies it's new concept over here and no one else had done it before.

Is right. 

The hall of fame is a German concept dating from 1807;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walhalla_memorial

As a concept the hall of fame has a higher profile in NA than here as more kudos is given to it (certainly in music and sport) whereas plaques (English heritage), murals and statues are more the norm (and highest accolade) here to commemorate sports stars, musicians, writers, actors etc. Bobby Moore is in the English football hall of fame, but that accolade is dwarfed by his statue at the entrance of Wembley. The UK music hall of fame only lasted about five years..Bowie’s Ziggy stardust statue, The Beatles statue in Liverpool, English heritage plaques to Freddie Mercury, Elton John etc etc. again they dwarf any music hall of fame.

The one new thing Perez could be talking about is replicating the handing out of blazers to RL hall of fame members (which they do in Gridiron). If so, it’s just a further Americanisation of RL (other examples being handing out rings to the winning team, nicknames included in official team names, cheerleaders). I’d scrap all this gimmicky stuff and return to authenticity. Proper team names, real support, medals etc. Get rid of the fluff.

52 minutes ago, DC77 said:

Is right. 

The hall of fame is a German concept dating from 1807;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walhalla_memorial

As a concept the hall of fame has a higher profile in NA than here as more kudos is given to it (certainly in music and sport) whereas plaques (English heritage), murals and statues are more the norm (and highest accolade) here to commemorate sports stars, musicians, writers, actors etc. Bobby Moore is in the English football hall of fame, but that accolade is dwarfed by his statue at the entrance of Wembley. The UK music hall of fame only lasted about five years..Bowie’s Ziggy stardust statue, The Beatles statue in Liverpool, English heritage plaques to Freddie Mercury, Elton John etc etc. again they dwarf any music hall of fame.

The one new thing Perez could be talking about is replicating the handing out of blazers to RL hall of fame members (which they do in Gridiron). If so, it’s just a further Americanisation of RL (other examples being handing out rings to the winning team, nicknames included in official team names, cheerleaders). I’d scrap all this gimmicky stuff and return to authenticity. Proper team names, real support, medals etc. Get rid of the fluff.

The hall of fame is taken from vikings isnt it? Im sure i read it was a place in valhalla. 

I've not looked at the article but I've always felt for what was once the most forward thinking club in RL in England we have gone way backward. We had a bitty HOF in the old Trevor Foster Lounge in the 80's but nothing of note really since. I feel its the same with RFL. They should make a big hoo-ha about retiring players each year and maybe alongside the Man Of Steel awards have a Hall of Fame ceremony. How can a club (yes I'm Biased) have about 3 to 4 people currently in a club that has had:

Dai Rees, Peter Fox, Trevor Foster, Ernest Ward, Ellery Hanley, Keith Mumby, Lesley Vainikolo, Jack Mclean, Sam Burgess, Brain Noble to name nigh on nowt and have hardly anyone in their hall of fame.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

5 hours ago, Rach said:

Firstly before anyone slates me as an M62 luddite then take last 4 seasons watching expansion clubs (stags , All Golds . Bears n Crusaders )..erm clearly not ...

But our Bulls new honcho takes the biscuit for insulting our current teams in this missive  ... 

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/18034949.perez-keen-highlight-importance-northern-bulls-heritage/?ref=rss&fbclid=IwAR3fblj8gH88AKXI1rwDqt4AASS7I6XrxZXPtLIyKZSNGtk_zhVUJSYU-FI

So respecting our former players is something we don't do as a sport ?? Want to view the Hall of Fame 's at Keighley ( since the late 90's ) , Barrow , Hunslet . Batley , Whitehaven , Workington ,Widnes ,Featherstone , Dewsbury etc etc  All compiled by volunteers interested in preserving our games heritage .but your Hall of Fame is something you are bringing to game ??

no doubt its all something new if Toronto have overseen it ..

All for growing the game but take the proverbial out of those that have given to the sport of their own volition n you are on dodgy ground ..

Its a fantastic idea from Perez....he is not afraid to till new ground and plant seeds.  Your post does a disservice to all progressive rugby fans....your slur against Toronto is totally unwarranted and shows an alarming lack of knowledge.

Sad really.

54 minutes ago, Rach said:

Ok hands up  might not have read correctly ?

Blame the T & A's flipping paywall that only gives you one attempt before  reaching 'your free article limit '..

We all get a call wrong. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

6 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

In the list of things that need to be sorted out with the Bulls, I doubt that I'd put starting a 'Hall of Fame' in the top twenty...

It will be slightly surreal having presentations to ' hall of famers ' for Bradford , at Dewsbury 

Am I the only one to read the "Mr" in the title as being pejorative? If you don't like the man in the first instance then you are unlikely to be generous in your views.

Just consider what he is trying to do, which is to massively boost the commercial impact of Bradford. You don't achieve this by carefully checking that every statement won't upset somebody somewhere.

I know that it is the close season but surely RL fans can find something other than the game to be outraged about for a couple of months - mince pies in November; Noddy Holder; all politicians; people who switch their heating on before December?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, Rach said:

Ok hands up  might not have read correctly ?

Blame the T & A's flipping paywall that only gives you one attempt before  reaching 'your free article limit '..

We forgive you but only if you promise to buy a ticket and support Toronto for a game over there this season.

14 hours ago, Wollongong said:

The only surprising thing is that Bradford don’t  already have one?!?

They did actually name a 'team of the century' a few of years ago - voted by the fans, iirc - but it has no physical presence whatever or even an appearance on the club's website, which is sad really. That said, considering Mr Perez isn't going to be here for more than a month or three it does seem strange to initiate such an obviously long term venture.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Archived