Championship fixtures

leytherz

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Either you are an SL ready pro club or you arent. 

But a lot of them aren't and probably never will be,they are par time teams consisting of players with jobs who are now being asked to do what Fulltime Superleague players found too difficult to do and still go to work the next morning.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Surely professional clubs should be able to play fixtures anytime.

The point is that we've gone from Friday / Monday/ Sunday to Friday / Wednesday / Sunday

That doesn't really seem like much of a step forward in 'player welfare' (which was the point of getting rid of the second game over Easter...)

18 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

The point is that we've gone from Friday / Monday/ Sunday to Friday / Wednesday / Sunday

That doesn't really seem like much of a step forward in 'player welfare' (which was the point of getting rid of the second game over Easter...)

Bradford, Leigh, Whitehaven and Widnes are still playing Friday/Monday/Sunday!

7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

If we want the TV dollar we need to play every day of the week 

I assume you mean there needs to be a game played every day of the week? 

Laying aside the fact that Sky appear to have little interest in showing any Championship (or League 1) games, let along one of 'every day of the week', such a requirement could easily be granted by spreading games over the Easter weekend.

The core of the 'problem' with the 'three games in a week' scenario is that we are playing too many games.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

It's not the number of times they are playing in the number of days, but the days they are playing.

3 times in 10 days, has been a regular occurrence over easter, with the 1895 cup and in years past with other cups. 

Yes , but that wasn't the point I was making , and you know it 

Again , 3 games in 10 days is too much for full time players with bigger squads , but not apparently for part time players with smaller squads than previously ?

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Why would anyone want to show the championship when there are loads of other more popular options on at the same time?

Bigger sports play games more often and at more times more often, as a sport we need to move past the idea that RL is played on sunday afternoons 

Bit contradictory, to be honest

If there are 'more popular options' than showing the Championship (and I'm sure there are) then why does it really matter whether those teams choose to play on Sunday afternoons?

It seems a bit perverse to me that Championship teams would play on Thursday or Tuesday evening, and get far lower crowds, just to make some sort of point about a willingness to 'move past the idea that RL is played on Sunday afternoons'...

While the clubs’ websites are correct and i am looking forward to the fixture, the RFL website still suggests that Toulouse v London is on the 9 Aug yet announced only a couple of days ago that on the Friday 7 Aug. You wonder if anyone actually communicates at HQ.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

47 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

It's not. It's too much for the structure we have now and semi pro clubs pretending to be pro (and that doesnt just apply to fev)

This reply completely ignored my post , is that because you know I'm right , but you don't want to admit it ? 

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

"We would like to thank Leeds Rhinos for the favourable gate share arrangement they have proposed to the Rams."

Cheers, didn't read it all with scrolling a bit too fast. 

12 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

It doesnt it addresses it completely. 

3 times in 10 days isnt too much. We have done it for years. Its too much as part of the stupidly long season we have, and for clubs which arent really fully pro just pretending to be so. 

Players played 3 games in 10 days during origin, lets not kid ourselves that it's impossible.

So why change it for SL ?

11 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

It doesnt it addresses it completely. 

3 times in 10 days isnt too much. We have done it for years. Its too much as part of the stupidly long season we have, and for clubs which arent really fully pro just pretending to be so. 

Players played 3 games in 10 days during origin, lets not kid ourselves that it's impossible.

Absolute rubbish,trotted out by someone who obviously has never had to fall out of bed the morning after being battered for 80 mins to go into work.

4 minutes ago, leytherz said:

i know the rugby league are stupid for playing 3 games over easter.but for the life of me why dont the players who work not book the week off work.

Maybe they want to use their leave at the end of the season and have a holiday with family,not that it matters,players shouldn't have to put their bodies through 3 games in such a short period in what is a tough,high impact sport at whatever level it's being played at.

21 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Surely professional clubs should be able to play fixtures anytime.

That's not the point, Featherstone are a part time team, so surely you can see that the fixture would be better suited to a full time team so no players are taking time off work.

Archived