Manu Tuilagi in serious talks with Toronto Wolfpack

TIWIT

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, westside said:

Confirms Manu is interested, would be a 2-3 year deal.

Would be nice to see him play for Samoa at the World Cup but I wonder if England wouldn’t chase him given how the Lions tour went...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-7693515/amp/Manu-Tuilagi-lined-Super-League-Toronto-Wolfpack.html

Thanks for the link. They were quite insistent I turn off my ad blocker and since I wouldn't I couldn't get the link.

1 hour ago, westside said:

Confirms Manu is interested, would be a 2-3 year deal.

Would be nice to see him play for Samoa at the World Cup but I wonder if England wouldn’t chase him given how the Lions tour went...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-7693515/amp/Manu-Tuilagi-lined-Super-League-Toronto-Wolfpack.html

I think making the England side might be easier than Samoa... The likes of Tim Lafai and Joey Leluia are pretty good players. Besides, I've read before that this guy considers himself English, having lived there since childhood and played for the national rugby union side for years. Even though I think that with Gildart, Percival and hopefully Watkins all back to full fitness next year England shouldn't despair about their centre stocks, Tuilagi could well be a very handy addition! Even Luther Burrell might be in the conversation by the end of next year. Those two certainly have the size and power to be pretty handy.

23 minutes ago, Allora said:

And.....

and... wouldn't it be great to have a global star and a current Union test player move to League after seeing so much movement in the other direction in the last two decades.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Allora said:

Can he play Rugby League At the highest level ?

Shall we wait and see before implying he isn't going to make it? He may not even switch codes...

But there's one thing about this signing if it happens; it'll be massive news over here in the UK. Tuilagi is a huge name in RU in the Northern Hemisphere. The sport over here is desperate for media attention... and such a signing would bring massive attention.

1 minute ago, Allora said:

Can he play Rugby League At the highest level ?

I would say he has all the attributes necessary to be successful yes.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

Shall we wait and see before implying he isn't going to make it?

I am not implying anything. I am asking a question.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, cookey said:

Another one with ongoing injury issues. He has a permanently pulled hamstring. I fear that Noble does very little due dilligence.

Sadly this is true, He has ongoing issues with fitness. Did have a good world cup though in terms of Hamstring holding up, so there's hope he can handle more games . Great player who I would love to see in SL. Issue is how many games of say 35 would be be available for? 

In regards to Noble, I feel there is a element of go for big names, whose game suits RL and who is available for code switch. Manu ticks both boxes imo. 

8 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Sadly this is true. Great player who I would love to see in SL. Issue is how many games of say 35 would be be available for? 

Hes been out a bit for various reasons.  Certainly a big lump to deal with in the centre.  In defence, I dont know.  Maybe hes coming for the money??

2 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

I think making the England side might be easier than Samoa... The likes of Tim Lafai and Joey Leluia are pretty good players. Besides, I've read before that this guy considers himself English, having lived there since childhood and played for the national rugby union side for years. Even though I think that with Gildart, Percival and hopefully Watkins all back to full fitness next year England shouldn't despair about their centre stocks, Tuilagi could well be a very handy addition! Even Luther Burrell might be in the conversation by the end of next year. Those two certainly have the size and power to be pretty handy.

I doubt he would go into the centres.. he has 13 written all over him for me.. got a pretty good offload, runs like a truck, bit of pace and a step.. Not saying he wouldnt go ok in the centres but think he would be better at 13. 

He is one of the those that if you put a list out of "who do you think would make it in RL" he would probably be top 2 or 3 on everyone list (except Allora obviously).

14 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Hes been out a bit for various reasons.  Certainly a big lump to deal with in the centre.  In defence, I dont know.  Maybe hes coming for the money??

I would think a big payday would be very much appreciated by Manu. Hes now about 28 so unlikely to make it to the next RU World Cup, so if TWP offer him 1m a year I don't see him turning it down. 

The Polynesian players have alot of pressure on them to earn as much as they can to help out often a very big extended family back home. 

Aside from the Money I can't really think of why Manu would switch as he didn't play RL as A Kid and TWP would still involve alot of travel, so not a huge saving there for him. 

Will be hard as he's on around 400k a year at Leicester I think plus 22k a England game. 

So I feel TWP will have to offer alot of money to get him to switch. 1m a year for 3 years sort of money. 

Archived