Manu Tuilagi in serious talks with Toronto Wolfpack

TIWIT

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

607103.bin?w968h681

This guy :kolobok_biggrin:

I'm a fan of these moves to sign Union players. We have seen some RL legends come from RU, and I think our sport is poorer now these players do not move to RL regularly.

Definitely. Offiah, Davies, Tuigamala spring to mind for 3 Legends who I grew up watching, playing RL after they came over from RU. 

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Definitely. Offiah, Davies, Tuigamala spring to mind for 3 Legends who I grew up watching, playing RL after they came over from RU. 

As a Wire fan, I have very fond memories of Kevin Ellis, Rowland Phillips and Allan Bateman in particular coming up from Welsh RL. Then signing Davies from Widnes. 

10 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

He appeared on Graham Norton or Jonathan Ross the other week, I can’t remember ever seeing anyone whose been associated with playing Rugby League on either programme. 

The times they are a changin.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Given time and luck with injury he'd make a very good RL centre,but TWP don't need centre's and don't te really have the time/cap space to wait for a player to make the transition to a sport he's never played before.

wouldnt count on the cap at all in the first year.. then a percentage in the second IIRC

Anyone who moves across is good publicity. RU trolls have been banging on about RL dying for 25 years now. They also were telling us what a wonderful transformative World Cup they'd had which would result in kids across the world ditching their soccer boots en masse...

Since then a string of bad news. ?

Hopefully more to come...

21 minutes ago, RP London said:

wouldnt count on the cap at all in the first year.. then a percentage in the second IIRC

Yes:

SBW = £150k Cap Value (True value £2.5m)

Marquee Player 2 = £150k Cap Value (True value £500k)

Tuilagi = £0 Cap Value in Yr 1 (True Value £350k)

So on top of the £2.1m standard Cap, it is possible that TWP could have the above and spend £5m on wages next year. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

As a Wire fan, I have very fond memories of Kevin Ellis, Rowland Phillips and Allan Bateman in particular coming up from Welsh RL. Then signing Davies from Widnes. 

Bateman was a great signing. Not as huge a name as Offiah or Jiffy ended up being, but switched codes really effectively.

As for Tuilagi, I've heard his name a lot. However, his name gets into sports reports quite often regarding injuries, so we shall have to wait and see.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes:

SBW = £150k Cap Value (True value £2.5m)

Marquee Player 2 = £150k Cap Value (True value £500k)

Tuilagi = £0 Cap Value in Yr 1 (True Value £350k)

So on top of the £2.1m standard Cap, it is possible that TWP could have the above and spend £5m on wages next year. 

TW have/had  Leutele and Lussick as marquee players already so one will be now be counting on the cap at full true value. Highly likely to be Lussick as Leutele's wage is widely reported/accepted as over £400,000.  So they have tied up in Williams, Leutele and Lussick, £150k x 2 and a minimum of £175k so around a quarter of their cap. They also have other players on six figures and have more or less exhausted the cap as it stands , with a squad probably not as strong or deep as the current favourites for relegation  , hence the need for these zero cap players.

It is going to bite them at some point perhaps both short and long term. They really didn't think ahead in terms of cap management.

1 hour ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

TW have/had  Leutele and Lussick as marquee players already so one will be now be counting on the cap at full true value. Highly likely to be Lussick as Leutele's wage is widely reported/accepted as over £400,000.  So they have tied up in Williams, Leutele and Lussick, £150k x 2 and a minimum of £175k so around a quarter of their cap. They also have other players on six figures and have more or less exhausted the cap as it stands , with a squad probably not as strong or deep as the current favourites for relegation  , hence the need for these zero cap players.

It is going to bite them at some point perhaps both short and long term. They really didn't think ahead in terms of cap management.

I have a feeling they will find some way to bring in more talent and still be within Cap or at least say they are . It just could get interesting a year down the line ala Saracens. 

It would be great if other SL clubs, encouraged by Toronto, get in on this too. I know money is obviously a massive limiting factor but so is the salary cap and players from Union may be the way forward now we know it’s possible. Also this would have the added bonus of kicking sand in their faces, and we all love to see that. 

Just now, Eddie said:

It would be great if other SL clubs, encouraged by Toronto, get in on this too. I know money is obviously a massive limiting factor but so is the salary cap and players from Union may be the way forward now we know it’s possible. Also this would have the added bonus of kicking sand in their faces, and we all love to see that. 

It was nice to see Toronto taking their lead from the original Wolves in SL signing a RU player using the dispensation.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It was nice to see Toronto taking their lead from the original Wolves in SL signing a RU player using the dispensation.

Put your dummy back in... ? 

The signings of Burrrell and SBW are good IMO. Hopefully Tuilagi (Toronto) and Ford (Leeds) will follow.

19 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Feel free to refer me back to this in future if I’m proved wrong. 

There is not a chance any current England international RU player would come over to League. 

You just might have to eat those words.

31 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Feel free to refer me back to this in future if I’m proved wrong. 

There is not a chance any current England international RU player would come over to League. 

I don't think its as clear cut as that. Especially with older/more fringe players 

20 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't think its as clear cut as that. Especially with older/more fringe players 

Ha I’ll make a couple of caveats to my original declaration then. 

There is not a chance any current* England international RU player^ would come over to League.‘

* played for England in the past 6 months 

^ Aged under 31 

Archived