Manu Tuilagi in serious talks with Toronto Wolfpack

TIWIT

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Put your dummy back in... ? 

The signings of Burrrell and SBW are good IMO. Hopefully Tuilagi (Toronto) and Ford (Leeds) will follow.

Aye, didnt Adam Pearson claim SL was gonna start raiding Union?

Would be welcome in my eyes.

Some of the loss of awareness has come from the lack of cross code transfers imo.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Celt said:

i actually think as an 'On Field' signing, he would be the best of the best.

SBW will be huge from a promotional point of view, but Radradra is a sensational player, who would come back from union as a lethal strike winger.  

A huge amount of cash for any team to use on a winger though.  For that reason, i suspect it is very unlikely.

I agree, as Good Wingers are plentiful in RL and OZ RU for one is becoming reliant on RL to develop wingers. If he was a half back of similar ability the need is higher in RL. 

That being said, what salary would get Semi? 500k? He would be awesome in SL and would really give the press someone to rave about. 

I would love to see him at Les Dracs... 

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Bateman was a great signing. Not as huge a name as Offiah or Jiffy ended up being, but switched codes really effectively.

As for Tuilagi, I've heard his name a lot. However, his name gets into sports reports quite often regarding injuries, so we shall have to wait and see.

There is an argument for saying George Fairbairn was the best of the lot I've seen. Which goes to show you don't have to be a big Union name.

5 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Leicester are complete this year so Manu may just jump ship.

I think they are very close to signing him.

Thing is I think we need a good strong prop forward like Philbin or someone like him...there must a Tongan or Samoan forward available?

We need a big hitter!!

12 minutes ago, Blackpool rl said:

Tuilagi is under contract with Leicester until June 2021. He won't be the same player then and will rapidly decline. This is for publicity. 

And great publicity is what we need ! SBW , Tuilagi and Radrada ; then you are talking world class that captures the imagination of Tv   Sponsors , the wider public etc etc . Creating a team of John Wilkins will create next to nothing as he stated about Ben Barba

36 minutes ago, iangidds said:

And great publicity is what we need ! SBW , Tuilagi and Radrada ; then you are talking world class that captures the imagination of Tv   Sponsors , the wider public etc etc . Creating a team of John Wilkins will create next to nothing as he stated about Ben Barba

It all goes back to being aspirational doesnt it? Something which we have forgotten as a game as the buzz word was sustainability.

I suppose that makes sense with an accountant in charge for so long.

It feels like we have maybe gone through our period of austerity, got our house in order (in the main) and now is the time to get the swagger back. I think the introduction of marquee players a couple of years ago was a good sign, although as expected the vast majority are not true marquee players I.e. putting bums on seats.

Im surprised Latrell Mitchells name hasn't popped up yet.

Maybe im crazy, but hear me out. He is holding out for $1M a season in Oz, thats 500,000 quid. Isn't that a quarter of what they are paying SBW?

Why would they throw huge money at Manu Tuilangi if they could possibly get Mitchell for a season or two.

5 minutes ago, gnidir said:

Maybe im crazy, but hear me out. He is holding out for $1M a season in Oz, thats 500,000 quid. Isn't that a quarter of what they are paying SBW?

Why would they throw huge money at Manu Tuilangi if they could possibly get Mitchell for a season or two.

At the moment I would say Toronto are looking at strengthening the squad and making headlines and building publicity/awareness in equal measure.

While Mitchell would be a better signing than Tuilagi on the field he wouldn't be as big a signing for the club overall. At least not in the short term.

(Don't get me wrong, I know which I would have)

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, gnidir said:

Because more people in wider rugby circles know who Tuilagi is than Mitchell and that's all this is about. Otherwise you don't go sign SBW, you sign Jason Taumalolo and/or Boyd Cordner. 

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

At the moment I would say Toronto are looking at strengthening the squad and making headlines and building publicity/awareness in equal measure.

While Mitchell would be a better signing than Tuilagi on the field he wouldn't be as big a signing for the club overall. At least not in the short term.

(Don't get me wrong, I know which I would have)

and he'll count less to the cap allowing them to look again at someone else like mitchell.

23 minutes ago, gnidir said:

I’d say the chances of Mitchell leaving the NRL at this stage in his career are somewhere between none and none 

1 hour ago, gnidir said:

You really can't hope to survive in SL with a squad of 10...

10 hours ago, SL17 said:

You can’t feed forwards without half's. Money Williams will take center stage at center. So I agree with you big names are fine but they are filling the wrong positions. Or the same position.

You think he will be playing at center?

TWP need to be careful.. SBW is one thing, we know he can play.  But if too many of their high earners are inexperienced League players from rah rah they risk being uncompetitive and having an unbalanced side.  They won't win SL with a squad of players who are learning the game and may or not succeed in what is actually a very different sport.  If Burgess and Farrell played centre in rah rah (I think that's right?)  I can only assume a rah rah centre is very different to a League centre!!

3 hours ago, gnidir said:

Because no-one, absolutely no-one, who hasn't an in depth knowledge of the NRL has a clue who Latrell Mitchell is. 

Manu Tuilagi, on the other hand, is far better known (rightly or wrongly) and will generate interest in the team and game outside its established communities.

Archived