Manu Tuilagi in serious talks with Toronto Wolfpack

TIWIT

31 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

The bit I was referring to and highlighted in bold......? 

What makes you think they're close to signing him? 

Read the above post from Westside.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Oh dear, so you have nothing more than a UK tabloid rag to go off? I'll go back to my earlier statement - not a chance this will happen. 

There is more....why don't you send him a twitter and ask?

1 hour ago, Tre Cool said:

TWP need to be careful.. SBW is one thing, we know he can play.  But if too many of their high earners are inexperienced League players from rah rah they risk being uncompetitive and having an unbalanced side.  They won't win SL with a squad of players who are learning the game and may or not succeed in what is actually a very different sport.  If Burgess and Farrell played centre in rah rah (I think that's right?)  I can only assume a rah rah centre is very different to a League centre!!

TWP are responsible for their actions.  Sonny Bill could have a serious injury and his presence then will be diluted.  Tuilagi could be the next John Gallagher and bottle it.  He’ll soon realise there’s more this game than a spin pass.

The biggest step to climb will be the workrate.  

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

It all goes back to being aspirational doesnt it? Something which we have forgotten as a game as the buzz word was sustainability.

I suppose that makes sense with an accountant in charge for so long.

It feels like we have maybe gone through our period of austerity, got our house in order (in the main) and now is the time to get the swagger back. I think the introduction of marquee players a couple of years ago was a good sign, although as expected the vast majority are not true marquee players I.e. putting bums on seats.

That’s bang right Dave , when you have a failed accountant running the game they know nothing about bringing the sparkle and bums on seats! Barba was great for SL and we need as many of those types as possible. We are just going down the percentage game of 5 drives and a kick and force an error, that is not why we signed up to the running code of rugby

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

TWP are responsible for their actions.  Sonny Bill could have a serious injury and his presence then will be diluted.  Tuilagi could be the next John Gallagher and bottle it.  He’ll soon realise there’s more this game than a spin pass.

The biggest step to climb will be the workrate.  

I imagine if Tuilagi got hit by a Karl Fairbank character he would give just as good as he got ! Gallagher was mentally weak as Mr Fairbanks proved.

30 minutes ago, iangidds said:

I imagine if Tuilagi got hit by a Karl Fairbank character he would give just as good as he got ! Gallagher was mentally weak as Mr Fairbanks proved.

We shall see.  It’s not just about throwing a few fists.  Whether he’s an ru international or not, he will have his work cut out dealing with the speed of the game.

Hopefully, this could be the trigger for one or two from ru to try it.  All publicity is good imo.

3 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

We shall see.  It’s not just about throwing a few fists.  Whether he’s an ru international or not, he will have his work cut out dealing with the speed of the game.

Hopefully, this could be the trigger for one or two from ru to try it.  All publicity is good imo.

4 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Just for the record Fairbanks did not punch Gallagher 

3 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

TWP need to be careful.. SBW is one thing, we know he can play.  But if too many of their high earners are inexperienced League players from rah rah they risk being uncompetitive and having an unbalanced side.  They won't win SL with a squad of players who are learning the game and may or not succeed in what is actually a very different sport.  If Burgess and Farrell played centre in rah rah (I think that's right?)  I can only assume a rah rah centre is very different to a League centre!!

There are some big lumps playing centre in Union, the 'crash ball's type of centre who's primary role is to take the ball to the gain line (usually first phase from a set piece) and recycle quick ball. This is the role that England had for Farell and subsequently Burgess.

Conversely there are some very athletic players who are good on their feet... like Jonathan Joseph at Bath. As an example, Kyle Eastmond plays centre in Union.

Despite his size, Tuilagi is in the latter category.  He is good on his feet for a big man and more than just a 'bash and barge' centre. 

I disagree with a couple of others who have said move him to the pack in League. I think he could be an absolutely destructive runner in the centre and would keep him there.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

52 minutes ago, iangidds said:

We are just going down the percentage game of 5 drives and a kick and force an error, that is not why we signed up to the running code of rugby

Don't get me started on this one mate! :kolobok_biggrin:

23 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Would I like to see David Arygle spunk more of his money on him anyway? Yes.

Why?

He could be a good league centre and certainly entertaining.  He’s also a potentially huge commodity of the field.

The Wolfpack can make their own decision about whether he’s “worth” £x a year to them and, were it not for the salary cap, it wouldn’t be anyone else’s business either.

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

There are some big lumps playing centre in Union, the 'crash ball's type of centre who's primary role is to take the ball to the gain line (usually first phase from a set piece) and recycle quick ball. This is the role that England had for Farell and subsequently Burgess.

Conversely there are some very athletic players who are good on their feet... like Jonathan Joseph at Bath. As an example, Kyle Eastmond plays centre in Union.

Despite his size, Tuilagi is in the latter category.  He is good on his feet for a big man and more than just a 'bash and barge' centre. 

I disagree with a couple of others who have said move him to the pack in League. I think he could be an absolutely destructive runner in the centre and would keep him there.

Oh yah yah i agree, i love the way he rucks the ball on the third breakdown after the number 11 gouges the rolling maul into the turnover yah.

15 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

Oh yah yah i agree, i love the way he rucks the ball on the third breakdown after the number 11 gouges the rolling maul into the turnover yah.

I thought we were having a sensible discussion on how Tuilagi may transfer over to League based on the differences between the centre role in both sports. 

If you want to take the ###### out of Union sycophants, I can assure you I am not the right target.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I thought we were having a sensible discussion on how Tuilagi may transfer over to League based on the differences between the centre role in both sports. 

If you want to take the ###### out of Union sycophants, I can assure you I am not the right target.

I'll bring back on topic. Even though i've made clear I don't think this has any real legs, i'm happy to discuss what might be. 

I see him as a second row/Loose forward in RL. I think attacking he could play anywhere from LF/SR all the way through to wing to be honest, but it's in defence I think he'd struggle to adapt as a centre IMO. It's just about the hardest position on the field (after FB) to make defensive decisions and I just don't see how he could get up to a high standard to start there at SL level. 

14 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I'll bring back on topic. Even though i've made clear I don't think this has any real legs, i'm happy to discuss what might be. 

I see him as a second row/Loose forward in RL. I think attacking he could play anywhere from LF/SR all the way through to wing to be honest, but it's in defence I think he'd struggle to adapt as a centre IMO. It's just about the hardest position on the field (after FB) to make defensive decisions and I just don't see how he could get up to a high standard to start there at SL level. 

On topic.  

I don’t think it will happen. IMO it’s a gamble too far in SL.  Sonny Bill will find it difficult enough, but, with SL a couple of months away, it’s a step to far.

If the plan is to introduce him later/sporadically then fair enough, but that’s a plan based on hope.

48 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

You did come over a bit rah rah though to be fair with your gain lines and ball recycling or whatever you were on about

Archived