Manu Tuilagi in serious talks with Toronto Wolfpack

TIWIT

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Still can't find that Tuilagi thread. Thanks in advance for the correct link.

I started it so I know it's around here somewhere. Like everything else, it's buried under the avalanche of anti-Toronto sentiment.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Davo5 said:

But there is a risk with any signing,how many antipodean players have come into Superleague only to quickly depart on the homesick excuse,how many former NRL players have come over on big money only to be found out as past it and not worth the money,id take a Manu Tuilagi to make a better go of Superleague than a Willie Tonga.

Willie Tonga when he was 27 ?

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

For starters the Wolfpacks acadmey when they start it will be based in London.I'm surprised you didn't that.

Now give me an excuse why a Rugby League team with over 100 years of playing the game can't find 25 to 30 young men to play Rugby League in a city of over 100,000 people?

The original suggestion was Greater Manchester , if you haven't read the original question don't comment 

I could find 30 young men who play RL tomorrow , none of them would ever make it to the pro ranks though 

Salford have run academies in the past as have Leigh,Oldham,Swinton,Rochdale and all the Yorkshire clubs , they have all produced International players , but now the system is different , and all the best are signed up much earlier than they were then , any late developers also end up at the top clubs 

So you believe that Toronto would be able to compete with Wigan,Saints and Warrington for those players ?

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

The original suggestion was Greater Manchester , if you haven't read the original question don't comment 

I could find 30 young men who play RL tomorrow , none of them would ever make it to the pro ranks though 

Salford have run academies in the past as have Leigh,Oldham,Swinton,Rochdale and all the Yorkshire clubs , they have all produced International players , but now the system is different , and all the best are signed up much earlier than they were then , any late developers also end up at the top clubs 

So you believe that Toronto would be able to compete with Wigan,Saints and Warrington for those players ?

Why wouldn't they? Some might even see it as a way out of their small corner of the world.

2 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Why wouldn't they? Some might even see it as a way out of their small corner of the world.

Because those existing local clubs have history and records of developing future pro and international RL players , they also pick them up at age 11/12 and place them in scholarships , they monitor them prior to that age , they have networks of scouts in amateur clubs letting them know of any talented lad 

We need more kids playing the game from 6/7 , more junior clubs in more area's , more schools playing more schools competitions , more development officers 

Just having another academy slicing up the talent a bit thinner isn't going to bring through more players , we have it probably just about right now with 3/4 academies in the north west , a similar number in West Yorkshire and 1/2 in Hull , add in Newcastle and London 

As Scotchy has just suggested , look at Wales or better still Canada ?

4 hours ago, TIWIT said:

I started it so I know it's around here somewhere. Like everything else, it's buried under the avalanche of anti-Toronto sentiment.

Ah well, thanks for looking.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Willie Tonga when he was 27 ?

12 hours ago, Dave T said:

Indeed, but the question was "How can the recruitment of RU players improve the quality of a RL competition? "

The answer I gave is evidence based. The question wasn't about level of risk, or value - and actually used the word 'can'. 

RU players have absolutely added value to the RL comp over the years by being very good players, adding to the player pool - that is the answer to the question how can recruiting RU players improve the quality of an RL comp.

Then after we teach Sonny Bill all of those things that is when the training will really start.....we will start him with the box lacrosse drills and teach him the hardest of all sports: CURLING!   Once he learns the art of curling how could any old regular English bloke even touch him let alone tackle him?  So that is how we will make Sonny Bill a star.

Then the other Canadian lads will naturally step up and we will dominate Super League.....take it all...and do ya wanna know why?......because we can!!!!!  Look at how our Canadian lads dominated League 1 and then Championship....Super League will be no different.

You can't stop destiny.

14 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Then after we teach Sonny Bill all of those things that is when the training will really start.....we will start him with the box lacrosse drills and teach him the hardest of all sports: CURLING!   Once he learns the art of curling how could any old regular English bloke even touch him let alone tackle him?  So that is how we will make Sonny Bill a star.

Then the other Canadian lads will naturally step up and we will dominate Super League.....take it all...and do ya wanna know why?......because we can!!!!!  Look at how our Canadian lads dominated League 1 and then Championship....Super League will be no different.

You can't stop destiny.

Curling has no place here.

2 minutes ago, SL17 said:

I was watching American football yesterday. The commentator made preference to a baseball player who now plays in the NFL. He put the players skill down to being an ex baseball player. Not sure how that works!

Speed, hand eye coordination, quick reflex action, performance under pressure....big fat hotdogs covered in mustard......WHAT ELSE IS THERE REALLY????

7 hours ago, SL17 said:

I was watching American football yesterday. The commentator made preference to a baseball player who now plays in the NFL. He put the players skill down to being an ex baseball player. Not sure how that works!

I assume you are referencing a few quarterbacks.. Kyler Murray for instance was a top draft choice for the MLB but turned that down to go number 1 to the Cardinals and there are others (and have been for a while.. John Elway did the same).. It is about throwing style, the ability to have more range with "stranger" throwing actions, the ability to throw whilst not as "planted" as you would expect of a traditional QB etc etc.. 

One reason I have heard from friends who are into football for us not having the magical midfielders that other countries have is that we dont encourage our footballers to play other sports from a young age, to see the field differently. (one person also said that its because our second sport needs the ball to go backwards too) where as other countries encourage players to play basketball, handball, waterpolo etc

when i used to play RL we used to train with loads of different balls of all shapes and sizes, played random games etc which got you thinking about space in a different way. Training the U12s now I get them player Rugby Netball, football, "korfball style games", with golf ball size balls, basketballs, mini rugby balls and so on.. it gets them to adapt and change.. 

9 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I’m still trying to find the link that Toronto are trying to setup an academy in the north west to recruit from the same pool as other SL clubs............one of us might get there one day ?

Keep looking , but you won't find it , because as you already know the discussion was in response to a poster suggesting they should do so , nothing else , but that is the way of internet MB's , if you haven't realised that by now , then perhaps the internet isn't for you 

16 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Mate seek help you have lost the plot

4 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Mate seek help you have lost the plot

What's up chuck ? , You and your 2 ' buddies ' given up trying to actually answer a question ? 

So just going for a ' generic ' insult ? 

Happy to continue our little debate later , but if you don't feel up to it I won't hold it against you 

All the best 

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

This isn't a book , it's a tablet 

Actually, I'm on a phone. But a topic header is the same on any device.

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

This isn't a book , it's a tablet 

...and this thread is turning into a suppository.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 24/11/2019 at 23:41, Dave T said:

I dont think it is controversial to state that RU players have contributed a great deal to RL over the years.

But they can't pass, can't tackle, are grossly overweight and not very fit.

I know that must be true because I've read it in here for years.

I've never quite understood for the life of me why RU clubs simply don't recruit more RL players given how superior they are and earning far less money. 

Archived