Help. My TVs sound is going and the Wife is keen to replace. Striking whilst the iron is hot I want to buy asap

However, I am always so confused and scared to buy it takes me months to decide.

I want a 65 inch I think. 4K seems to be the norm.. smart etc I presume. What does this even mean?

Do I want OLED or QLED? I’m currently looking at a Samsung qa65q9famk.. is this good?

I am completely lost.. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

40 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Help. My TVs sound is going and the Wife is keen to replace. Striking whilst the iron is hot I want to buy asap

However, I am always so confused and scared to buy it takes me months to decide.

I want a 65 inch I think. 4K seems to be the norm.. smart etc I presume. What does this even mean?

Do I want OLED or QLED? I’m currently looking at a Samsung qa65q9famk.. is this good?

I am completely lost.. 

4K is super high definition (like modern movies on Blu-Ray). Do you need that so much? Regular HD is very good indeed, at a lower price.

And a cheaper alternative to a Smart TV could be a regular TV, plus a Fire TV Stick/Chromecast/Roku. It is also a more flexible option, as many Smart TVs severely limit which apps you can install.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 hours ago, MattSantos said:

I am completely lost.. 

I wouldn't worry, am sure whatever you buy will be obsolete and out of date by easter.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Recently bought a LG 49" smart OLED. Picture quality is excellent, but ...

I get my TV over the internet using a VPN. Having hooked up the TV, I discovered that, while Samsung use an android OS, LG use their own OS (WebOS) in their smart TVs. WebOS won't download VPN software. I have to use my desktop PC and an HDMI connector. Picture quality is very good, but depends on internet bandwidth.

I now wish I'd bought the Samsung equivalent.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

35 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Recently bought a LG 49" smart OLED. Picture quality is excellent, but ...

I get my TV over the internet using a VPN. Having hooked up the TV, I discovered that, while Samsung use an android OS, LG use their own OS (WebOS) in their smart TVs. WebOS won't download VPN software. I have to use my desktop PC and an HDMI connector. Picture quality is very good, but depends on internet bandwidth.

I now wish I'd bought the Samsung equivalent.

You can load (or side-load) a VPN service onto a Fire TV/Chromecast etc. That was one of the things that limits a lot of smart TVs, so you can get around it by plugging a pretty cheap gadget into the back of a regular (non-smart & cheaper) TV set. You can also use a device like that to access the OurLeague website, or ViaOccitanie, or whatever, thus increasing the amount of RL available.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

You can load (or side-load) a VPN service onto a Fire TV/Chromecast etc. That was one of the things that limits a lot of smart TVs, so you can get around it by plugging a pretty cheap gadget into the back of a regular TV set.

Yes. I did work that out eventually. The problem is making the on/off process simple enough for my wife to use confidently. The Firestick/Chromecast option still requires a PC running alongside the TV, which means two things to switch on or off.

Also, I don't really get how the Fire stick works. I assume I need a tablet or smartphone to cast the tv signal to the stick, but I could be wrong. What I really want is to be able to just use the TV without a computer, but I think I will have to wait until someone writes a VPN app for WebOS.

Sorry. I almost forgot. Thanks for the response.

43 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Yes. I did work that out eventually. The problem is making the on/off process simple enough for my wife to use confidently. The Firestick/Chromecast option still requires a PC running alongside the TV, which means two things to switch on or off.

Also, I don't really get how the Fire stick works. I assume I need a tablet or smartphone to cast the tv signal to the stick, but I could be wrong. What I really want is to be able to just use the TV without a computer, but I think I will have to wait until someone writes a VPN app for WebOS.

Sorry. I almost forgot. Thanks for the response.

The various stick options only require a PC running if you are using a service like Plex, to play files from your PC's hard drive, or if you want to select videos on the PC and then cast them. The latter is not something I use much. For YouTube, I just add anything I want to my "Watch Later" folder while browsing on my PC, then pick that saved content up via the Fire Stick's own YouTube app.

Otherwise, it works on its own. Even with Plex, if the PC's logged in, the stick can browse its folders without the screen being on. But for using streaming apps from the BBC/ITV/C4 apps to YouTube to Netflix, to the built-in web browser, you can do it with the remote control and no PC at all.

In my case, my Fire Stick has a faster processor than my Smart TV and runs a bit more reliably when streaming. The (Toshiba) TV's smart features are okay, but you can only install apps from their own store, which is limited in choice. There are workarounds for some apps, but they are a bit clunky to use. So I switch to the Fire Stick for most streaming.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

30 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

I have chromecast already. I have a VPN. How am I best off getting iplayer onto my TV.

TV purchase on hold as I got too scared

Oops, I was lumping slightly different gadgets together. The Chromecast does seem to require an external device to initially cast, as it does not come with a remote control. Fire and Roku are more self-contained, although you can cast to them if you really want.

When the Fire TV or Roku is started, you get a homepage which you can navigate with the remote, or use voice search.

new-fire-tv-interface-home-screen-header

Roku-home-page.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for all the information, Futtocks. It seems like there are options out there. I'll think it over for a while and probably get a Fire stick in the New Year.

I bought a new smart TV at the start of the year without checking the connectability, and my DVD player does not have a HDMI exit port, and my new TV does not have a Scart input. As a lot of my DVDs are American imports I can only play my DVDs through my computer. Multi zone dvd players, new ones with HDMI exits are expensive.

50 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I bought a new smart TV at the start of the year without checking the connectability, and my DVD player does not have a HDMI exit port, and my new TV does not have a Scart input. As a lot of my DVDs are American imports I can only play my DVDs through my computer. Multi zone dvd players, new ones with HDMI exits are expensive.

Do the two have any other compatible inputs/outputs? Composite or component, like the ones to the right of the SCARTS in the picture below? Any of them would give better sound and picture than SCART, for a start. The latter is a legacy analogue connection that's being phased out.

But, to be honest, most DVD players from £25-30 on up have HDMI these days. If you need multi-region, Google the ones that have simple unlocks you can do with the remote.

av-connections-explained-136390588431402

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Do the two have any other compatible inputs/outputs? Composite or component, like the ones to the right of the SCARTS in the picture below? Any of them would give better sound and picture than SCART, for a start. The latter is a legacy analogue connection that's being phased out.

But, to be honest, most DVD players from £25-30 on up have HDMI these days. If you need multi-region, Google the ones that have simple unlocks you can do with the remote.

There are cheap SCART-to-HDMI convertor boxes available, but you're really short-changing yourself on quality if you use continue to use SCART. The DVD's AV quality is downscaled and converted to analogue, just to be compatible with the old connection's limitations. That's quality you'll never get back.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 18/11/2019 at 06:42, MattSantos said:

I am completely lost.. 

COstco will have some amazing OLED offers offers on Black Friday - I know as I'm supplying them!

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

On 19/11/2019 at 15:26, Futtocks said:

Short answer, no, no compatible inputs

Archived