1895 Cup

A lot of people have complained loudly about Toulouse and London not playing at the Summer Bash. For me that wasn't an issue, they don't really gain anything from being absent, they're just playing in their own mini-Bash and frankly I'm happy they have been matched together as it means one of the likely top 5 challengers will lose a game.

However one piece of news that has attracted virtually no publicity is that London won't be entering the 1895 Cup. Toulouse also presumably won't be doing so again as they are not full members of the RFL.

This is much more significant to me as if we enter this competition we could potentially end up playing four more matches than two of our most serious rivals, and they will be midweek matches. That's a definite disadvantage in terms of the League campaign.

I think a while ago someone from the club made comments about wanting to make a serious run at the 1895 Cup this year. I can see the upside for this for the players and fans to potentially have a visit to Wembley, and clearly it's a competition we have a strong chance of winning with Toulouse and London not entering.

But those extra games, and extra possibility for injuries, might take their toll, and a potential Wembley trip could easily prove a distraction (I don't think either Widnes or Sheffield played especially well after they had reached Wembley). I don't think there's much of a financial reward either.

Last year we kind of compromised and rested six of our best players and lost in the first round. We would again probably be able to use plenty of Leeds' DR lads in this competition (whereas we might not be able to in the Challenge Cup).

It's a valid question for me...is a trip to Wembley worth possibly jeopardising our play-off/Super League prospects,  in a year where reaching SL is probably more of a possibility for us (with Toronto out of the way) than any time in recent history?

31 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

A lot of people have complained loudly about Toulouse and London not playing at the Summer Bash. For me that wasn't an issue, they don't really gain anything from being absent, they're just playing in their own mini-Bash and frankly I'm happy they have been matched together as it means one of the likely top 5 challengers will lose a game.

However one piece of news that has attracted virtually no publicity is that London won't be entering the 1895 Cup. Toulouse also presumably won't be doing so again as they are not full members of the RFL.

This is much more significant to me as if we enter this competition we could potentially end up playing four more matches than two of our most serious rivals, and they will be midweek matches. That's a definite disadvantage in terms of the League campaign.

I think a while ago someone from the club made comments about wanting to make a serious run at the 1895 Cup this year. I can see the upside for this for the players and fans to potentially have a visit to Wembley, and clearly it's a competition we have a strong chance of winning with Toulouse and London not entering.

But those extra games, and extra possibility for injuries, might take their toll, and a potential Wembley trip could easily prove a distraction (I don't think either Widnes or Sheffield played especially well after they had reached Wembley). I don't think there's much of a financial reward either.

Last year we kind of compromised and rested six of our best players and lost in the first round. We would again probably be able to use plenty of Leeds' DR lads in this competition (whereas we might not be able to in the Challenge Cup).

It's a valid question for me...is a trip to Wembley worth possibly jeopardising our play-off/Super League prospects,  in a year where reaching SL is probably more of a possibility for us (with Toronto out of the way) than any time in recent history?

Very good post.A personal opinion would be forget the 1895 cup.You must be up there amongst the favourites for promotion this next season.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

...is a trip to Wembley worth possibly jeopardising our play-off/Super League prospects,  in a year where reaching SL is probably more of a possibility for us (with Toronto out of the way) than any time in recent history?

No definitely not

20 hours ago, RobLambert said:

No definitely not

Couldn't agree more. We should be opting out of what is essentially a meaningless competition, and the thought of playing a final in front of a largely empty Wembley is (for me) no enticement.

In a season where we might just be realistic contenders for promotion - providing the transition from Carr to Webster doesn't have an adverse effect on our levels - we need to be smart about this kind of thing, particularly where it looks like our league rivals are taking the same long view, and this can only serve as a distraction and increased injury risk. I'd much rather turn up for the business end of the season 2 or 3 games fresher, just as London/Toulouse are likely to do.

Bffff. If they made the 1895 concept look tinpot and shabby with the way it was organised (and sponsored) in 2019, then next year is shaping up to be a real doozie in terms of RFL organisation and marketing.

Still like to see us win at Wembley and reach Super League in 2020 though.

Archived