Flu Jab

Had yours yet?

If not, two scenarios:

- Can you get it free? Well, why haven't you gone for it yet?
- Do you have to pay for it? Well, go on then!

This year is heading to be a perfect storm of an NHS under immense pressure tied to a flu season that's being predicted to be worse than any in the last decade.

Even if you think you're a superman/woman who can get through any flu infection, what about those you see? What if you gave the flu to your gran who has breathing problems. What about if you infected your office, taking out half your workers and you had to pick up their work? What if you gave your flu to a vulnerable kid in passing on the street and that ended up with that kid in hospital? Plenty of other "carrier" scenarios out there, even if you're not badly affected.

Just do it. I'm not being as nice about it as those adverts asking you nicely to get it done if you're in the vulnerable groups.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

7 hours ago, ckn said:

Had yours yet?

If not, two scenarios:

This year is heading to be a perfect storm of an NHS under immense pressure tied to a flu season that's being predicted to be worse than any in the last decade.

Even if you think you're a superman/woman who can get through any flu infection, what about those you see? What if you gave the flu to your gran who has breathing problems. What about if you infected your office, taking out half your workers and you had to pick up their work? What if you gave your flu to a vulnerable kid in passing on the street and that ended up with that kid in hospital? Plenty of other "carrier" scenarios out there, even if you're not badly affected.

Just do it. I'm not being as nice about it as those adverts asking you nicely to get it done if you're in the vulnerable groups.

have you been watching the "public information films" from the 70s again?  just off for a few fags in bed when I manage to get out of this fridge I fished out of the murky water with a branch.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

As soon as the vaccinations arrive we get marched off to the nurses office to have ours so had it a few weeks ago.  Supposed to be a bad one coming this year.  Always have mine in case the kids get the flu and grandkids need taking care of.

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

Yes, was done in Sept. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

I get it for free because I am (or was, I'm not sure now) in a 'vulnerable' group. Our surgery arranges a mass gathering of recipients on the same Saturday morning each October. It always coincides with the Scottish National Cross-country Relay Championships in the afternoon, an event that I invariably do badly in. I'm sure the vaccination has nothing to do with it.

9 hours ago, gazza77 said:

Yes, was done in Sept. 

Is your trust the same as ours Gaz? 

Ours is a three line whip to get your jab!?

I oft think its counter productive.... if there's owt going to put some folk off doing something its telling them they have to do it!!

Get jabbed..... its just sensible.

3 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Is your trust the same as ours Gaz? 

Ours is a three line whip to get your jab!?

I oft think its counter productive.... if there's owt going to put some folk off doing something its telling them they have to do it!!

Get jabbed..... its just sensible.

We push quite hard, but I've not had my arm twisted, nor my team. We did start early this year, to try to get a steady flow, rather than queues and a mad rush. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder... community pharmacists are reporting short stocks now and there won't be more provided. It's not too late.

Indications from tests done of those reporting the flu are showing that the vaccine would have covered it if only they'd had the jab. It's a good year for the vaccine!

So, if you can get it, go get it. If you have to pay for it, and can, go get it done.

Pretty please, you never know, you not getting it could save someone's life because you didn't pass it on to them.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I've never had a flu jab and I don't qualify for the freeby, but thanks for the reminder. I came down with it two Christmases ago. I went to bed in 2017 and didn't get up again properly until somewhere around the 10th January. I was only really ill for a couple of days, but afterwards I had zero energy and just slept day and night, only coming too to have a bite to eat washed down with a lemsip. I think I was layed up for about 16 days in all.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:18, ckn said:

Had yours yet?

If not, two scenarios:

I had my first and only jab 10 years ago and finished up in bed for two weeks. Never again. Someone up there is watching over me as I have never had any problems.

1 hour ago, Griff9of13 said:

I've never had a flu jab and I don't qualify for the freeby, but thanks for the reminder. I came down with it two Christmases ago. I went to bed in 2017 and didn't get up again properly until somewhere around the 10th January. I was only really ill for a couple of days, but afterwards I had zero energy and just slept day and night, only coming too to have a bite to eat washed down with a lemsip. I think I was layed up for about 16 days in all.

A lot of people claim to have flu when they really have a heavy cold.

A doctor once advised me that you could tell the difference by your reaction to seeing a £20 note on the floor in front of you.

If you have a heavy cold you'll pick it up; if you have flu you won't.

I assume you were in the latter category.

I'm lucky never to have had it, but in the last couple of years I've taken the precaution of having a jab. I couldn't afford the risk of being out of action for that long.

Do you remember the millennium celebrations - loads of parties, big firework displays etc. ?

I don't.

I had the 'flu and can't remember a damn thing about it, I was so ill.  You could have put £1000 in front of me and I couldn't have picked it up. Needless to say, I make sure I get the 'flu jab every year. I would also be devastated if I made someone else as ill as I was,  if I could do something to avoid it.

Had my first flu jab courtesy of my then employer back in 1983 and have had one every year since, moved onto the 'at risk list' a couple of years after that. I always remember some who wouldn't have it because they were frightened of needle's, when they came down with flu they changed their minds the following year.

6 hours ago, saddleworth said:

I had my first and only jab 10 years ago and finished up in bed for two weeks. Never again. Someone up there is watching over me as I have never had any problems.

Bob you daft bug ger.... get vacc'd.

No disrespect here at all, but at your age if you get a flu it could see you off man....for the love of jimmy thompson man..... get vacc'd.... please!!?

It's easy to tell if you have flu. Quite simply, you think you are going to die. Some do,.

"In the UK it is estimated that an average of 600 people a year die from complications of flu. In some years it is estimated that this can rise to over 10,000 deaths (see for example this UK study from 2013 , which estimated over 13,000 deaths resulting from flu in 2008-09. "

Unless there are good medical reasons not to, you should get vaccinated. Not to do so is selfish. 

If you don't qualify for a free jab,  you can get it done at boots for £12.99

My son in law was due to have his jab and it got postponed. He caught it and within 2 days was fighting for his life in hospital. He's made a reasonable recovery but has residual breathing problems.

I had it in 2006 - after a week my boss rang home and asked why I wasn't back at work. Considering my wife had to bring the phone to me in bed as I still couldn't get up I suggested that driving to work was not an option.

I make a point of telling people who say they've got flu but are walking around, and might need a day off, that they really haven't.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Archived