Challenge Cup R1 - No Red Star Belgrade

25 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Well, Red Star have opted out, rather than been excluded, so at least it is their decision. A shame though, as I'd like to see them in the Cup again.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Probably a financial decision as they seem like a very progressive club (from an interview I heard with their owner on Chasing Kangaroos). Shame as they’re such an iconic sports club and can only help grow the image of the game, I’d love to see them in League One. 

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Well, Red Star have opted out, rather than been excluded, so at least it is their decision. A shame though, as I'd like to see them in the Cup again.

Perhaps they couldn't afford the £500,000 bond required for overseas teams?

16 minutes ago, headtackle said:

The league should have covered their travel costs. Fairly minimal in the scheme of things and based on last year recovered many times over by the media and tv coverage.

I think the problem is (from what I recall) that they’re all amateur and would need loads of time off to come, it’s not like they can get a Ryanair flight to Barrow from Belgrade if they draw Millom and they also needed a couple of nights before the match, one after etc and the cost and time racked up. 

If Red Star have pulled out because of demands on the players, does that mean players can't afford to give up work time for games and lose money? I ask because Red Star are competing in the soccer Champions League this season, can't they fund the RL team. Perhaps they do , anyone know?

21 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

If Red Star have pulled out because of demands on the players, does that mean players can't afford to give up work time for games and lose money? I ask because Red Star are competing in the soccer Champions League this season, can't they fund the RL team. Perhaps they do , anyone know?

Why would Red Star Belgrade football team fund the Rugby League team? It’s not like they’re dripping with money themselves, and just why would they anyway? It’s like saying why don’t Spurs offer financial support to the Skolars as they play on White Hart Lane. 

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why would Red Star Belgrade football team fund the Rugby League team? It’s not like they’re dripping with money themselves, and just why would they anyway? It’s like saying why don’t Spurs offer financial support to the Skolars as they play on White Hart Lane. 

I thought they might be a multi sport franchise like Barca, don't they have various sports under their umbrella so to speak. Obviously not the case with Red Star, pity. BTW , we're now supposed to call them Crvena Zvezda, just think in ten years time we could see Crvena Zvezda vs Wigan !!

4 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I thought they might be a multi sport franchise like Barca, don't they have various sports under their umbrella so to speak. Obviously not the case with Red Star, pity.

Sorry I must have sounded like a right bell end then. They are a multi sport franchise but the RL side isn’t funded like the more established sports as I understood from their owner’s interview. Hopefully it will be one day though! 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_Crvena_Zvezda

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Sorry I probably sounded like a bell end then. They are a multi sport franchise (with stuff like Volleyball and Handball) but the RL side isn’t part of that as I understand. Hopefully it will be one day though! 

The RL side is part of it, hence why they are allowed to take the same name. If they weren't, they wouldn't be allowed. 

What isn't clear is whether there is revenue sharing across the clubs. 

At Barcelona, the football club does fund other activities. At Red Star, probably not. Barcelona's basketball club is called FC Barcelona Basketball, while Red Star's basketball club is just called Red Star KK, with no reference to the football club. That might suggest that at Red Star it's fine to share the name and even facilities but that you fund your own way. 

What benefit would Red Star get from possibly one game? To improve you need regular matches which the cup doesn't offer. The money spent could be used in better ways.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

15 minutes ago, RayCee said:

What benefit would Red Star get from possibly one game? To improve you need regular matches which the cup doesn't offer. The money spent could be used in better ways.

Send over a regular supply of BARLA sides. 

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

Nice if they did!

On 18/11/2019 at 21:18, Eddie said:

I think the problem is (from what I recall) that they’re all amateur and would need loads of time off to come, it’s not like they can get a Ryanair flight to Barrow from Belgrade if they draw Millom and they also needed a couple of nights before the match, one after etc and the cost and time racked up. 

We are surely still not talking massive numbers

If the league agreed to meet lost wages for all the squad + flights and a modest hotel we are still not talking huge sums of moneye. 

Based on last time the payback in terms of media coverage would more than outweigh the costs.   

7 minutes ago, headtackle said:

We are surely still not talking massive numbers

If the league agreed to meet lost wages for all the squad + flights and a modest hotel we are still not talking huge sums of moneye. 

Based on last time the payback in terms of media coverage would more than outweigh the costs.   

Why not offer one or two spots a year all expenses paid? Any team could be invited across Europe, I’m sure it would be exciting for the clubs and fans as well as creating good media coverage?

22 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

This is where the RLIF should come in and help cover the cost of travel, like what world rugby do with the Fijian Drua in the Aussie league. This competition could be a great way to increase interest in clubs like Red Star.

I doubt the RLIF are awash with money to be fair. 

Archived