Sign in to follow this  
Tommygilf

England Coach for 2021

Where now for England?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to lead England into the 2021 Home World Cup?

• Keep Bennett
    • Powell
    • Wane
    • McDermott
    • A N Other (English)
    • A N Other (Antipodean)

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 02/02/20 at 00:00

Personally I'd have to say Bennett's time at the helm is up as he has taken us as far as he can. My personal preference for a International coach is not necessarily the same as for a club, where skills development, traditional "coaching", and squad management play a far greater role. For internationals you need to be 2 things at the core - a selector with a vision, and a man motivator in big games. Right now I think the best candidate on those credentials is Brian McDermott who managed to get Leeds teams that were generally not in the top 3 on paper to 8 finals and only losing 2 of them. Although I can certainly see the arguments for Shaun Wane and Daryl Powell too. Who would you go for?

If it was vacant I’d say Powell definitely . Keeping out of all this could have  been a masterstroke

Edited by DavidM

None of the names suggested will provide something new Wayne Bennett and his assistants didn’t already. They are not the answer to our lack of success at international level.

If we do change coach I’d be looking for a coach who has experience in both Super League and the NRL. But I think it’s like changing the deck chairs on the titanic.

I think Wane overseeing the whole program, Powell coaching would be good. Bennett is past his best. He's been making bizarre selections and so on for a while now. England need to move on with a local coaching team.

Apparently, the reason Tony Smith never really succeeded at international level was because he didn't have control of the day to day management of players in the way that he did as Hudds/Leeds coach. That's not a criticism of anyone but an observation by people who know far more than me.

As an international coach you are bringing together a disparate group of players who generally play against each other and not with each other, therefore presumably a different set of skills is required to manage that whole dynamic. 

I don't know enough about potential candidates to pass judgement on who might have the best skills to bring together players who you don't work with every day. What I do know is that it doesn't appear to be Wayne Bennett. His admission that Grace was excluded from GB because he wasn't in the frame for England is a sacking offence, plain and simple.