Breakthrough players 2020

Come on guys. Let's move forward.

Given we are only 12 months on from beating the Aussies 2-0 at academy level...who is going to push on this season and bring some fresh blood to SL and England?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next year should see Lewis Dodd of Saints get his chance. Very exciting halfback prospect.

As for England, Morgan Smithies simply has to be in the next squad. I’m hoping the likes of Matty Lees, Morgan Knowles, Tom Johnstone, Jack Walker, Harry Newman and Dom Manfredi will be knocking on England’s aging, creaking door.

1 minute ago, Leeds Wire said:

Default negative reply. Say something positive.

A fair few be playing reserves this year. Reserves alone will mean more playing opportunities, whether in reserves or dual reg. 

I would like to see Ethan Havard get some game time at Wigan this year as he could be very special. Tall rangy front row forward who was great against the Aussies and one of the youngest on the pitch.

Tom Holroyd will be a great prop as well.

And Harry Smith of course at half back but I worry with Hastings arriving at Wigan his chances will be limited. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

40 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Next year should see Lewis Dodd of Saints get his chance. Very exciting halfback prospect.

As for England, Morgan Smithies simply has to be in the next squad. I’m hoping the likes of Matty Lees, Morgan Knowles, Tom Johnstone, Jack Walker, Harry Newman and Dom Manfredi will be knocking on England’s aging, creaking door.

Is Knowles going to play for England?

42 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Everyone, including a lot of us on here talks a lot about Johnstone. Hes not that young anymore, has been injured alot and it begs the question -  if he is that good why haven't any of the big boys come in for him yet?

Are we missing something?

40 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I'll mention Holroyd and Mustapha for starters. 

A lot will depend on injuries but other than those, the likes of Alex Sutcliffe, Jack Broadbent, Corey Johnson, Owen Trout, Sam Walters, Callum McLelland could all breakthrough for Leeds.  

Outside of these, there’s an outside chance of Tyler Dupree, Loui McConnell and Terry O’Connor’s son, Jarrod making an appearance. Iwan Stephens potentially too

4 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Everyone, including a lot of us on here talks a lot about Johnstone. Hes not that young anymore, has been injured alot and it begs the question -  if he is that good why haven't any of the big boys come in for him yet?

Are we missing something?

He’s always injured! 

Defensively he’s a bit suspect but he’s got pace and some power.

Watched the highlights of the PNG game earlier and it struck me GB didn't have any players with the pace to do what that Kumuls player did from acting half at the end of the first half. We’re in dire need of pace.

10 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

From Leeds I think it’s going to be a big year for Jack Walker and Harry Newman who I think will both be internationals in the next year or so, they both have a lot of class about them, weve got some good uns coming through at Leeds, Oledski may also kick on this year

I really want Oldeski to do well but is he any more than a pants Tom Burgess with even worse hands?

16 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I really want Oldeski to do well but is he any more than a pants Tom Burgess with even worse hands?

Yup. Never been impressed.

Rob Butler looks a ton better, but is stuck in the championship for at least a season. 

5 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Yup. Never been impressed.

Rob Butler looks a ton better, but is stuck in the championship for at least a season. 

Butler was very good for the England Knights last month. Plenty of go-forward.

Surprised he hasn’t been signed by a Super League club to be honest.

Archived