Breakthrough players 2020

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Butler was very good for the England Knights last month. Plenty of go-forward.

Surprised he hasn’t been signed by a Super League club to be honest.

Only 21. He came on leaps and bounds in the second half of the season and will benefit from working with Ward and playing regularly.

We don't need another Lewis Bienek....

Is he still playing? 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Next year should see Lewis Dodd of Saints get his chance. Very exciting halfback prospect.

As for England, Morgan Smithies simply has to be in the next squad. I’m hoping the likes of Matty Lees, Morgan Knowles, Tom Johnstone, Jack Walker, Harry Newman and Dom Manfredi will be knocking on England’s aging, creaking door.

Ahem.... Mr Knowles is a Welsh international.

The standouts from Huddersfield for me are Innes and Louis Senior, Jake Wardle and Oliver Wilson, I'm also hopeful that Sam Hewitt, Ollie Russell, Jon-Luke Kirby can kick on but i can see their game time being limited should we keep a relatively fit squad.

As I've said on another thread, i believe Wardle is better than Newman and some of the others, and Wilson is as good as some of the Wigan and Saints lads, and better than the likes of Oledzki, they don't get recognition because of who they play for, the fact that most of the names on threads like this only mention the players from the top clubs who get seen regularly and not the likes of Wardle and Wilson.

Similarly, I've been impressed with Crowther at Wakefield, Butler and Walker at London, Ashworth at Saints, Matongo at Hull to name a few,and if we are really struggling with wingers, would Naulogo qualify? would he be good enough? he's more "British/English" than Austin or Hastings having served in the armed forces.

8 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Hope Jack Welsby gets more game time at Saints next year. He's got the ability to play full back and stand off IMO. I think he's a better option for the England full back position than Jack Walker.

Have we got any decent sized backs coming through? As all of our FBs are small, be it in height like Lomax, or just general size like Walker.

Most of our backs get monstered at International Level, as all the opposition players seem to be twice the size.

I think this is a reason we will never see too much from Gildart at that level. Need to invest in bigger bodies for the outside backs!

Morgan Smithies has had a great start to his career, and is clearly a very hard worker, but personally i think he lacks real go forward currently, so don't think he's ready for that step up just yet. He needs time to develop properly IMO.

With my limited knowledge of the young lads coming through at the SL clubs i would say Newman at Leeds looks like he could be special. I don't get the same sense from Jack Walker, hopefully i'm wrong on that count.

Barring further injury, Manfredi should be playing for England in a season or two.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

13 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I would expect so. He is English, to be fair

You might want to ask him about that. Born in Barrow, yes, but both parents are Welsh and he's played for them right through the age groups into seniors.

You being so desperate for him to play for England that you mention his name in every single thread feels a bit...stalkerish. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

46 minutes ago, Click said:

Have we got any decent sized backs coming through? As all of our FBs are small, be it in height like Lomax, or just general size like Walker.

Most of our backs get monstered at International Level, as all the opposition players seem to be twice the size.

I think this is a reason we will never see too much from Gildart at that level. Need to invest in bigger bodies for the outside backs!

Yes, the likes of the Senior twins, Josh Simm, Jack Broadbent, Harry Newman all have size and athleticism. Jake Wardle too but he needs to fill out a bit.

I get your point on Gildart, although he did well vs NZ.

1 hour ago, Click said:

Farnworth is about 6' 3" or 4" and over 15 stone and absolutely rapid. 19 year old so probably got a bit of developing to do. 

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Hope Jack Welsby gets more game time at Saints next year. He's got the ability to play full back and stand off IMO. I think he's a better option for the England full back position than Jack Walker.

I agree. Welsby looks like a very good prospect. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

Farnworth is about 6' 3" or 4" and over 15 stone and absolutely rapid. 19 year old so probably got a bit of developing to do. 

He's no Blake Austin on the wing!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

Welsby and Wardle are above 6ft and 14st as well. Newman is tall-ish but light at 13.5st currently whilst Walker is very lightweight.

Tedesco/Wighton are not much bigger than Wardle/Welsby - only Mitchell is significantly bigger. Tuvisa-Sheck is not much bigger than Wardle/Welsby either.

Welsby looks a real talent, I think his performances this year have gone under the radar really. He provided and scored more tries in fewer games than players like more established players playing more regularly like Jamie Shaul. 

Heard good things about Nico Rizelli too but I think we’re unlikely to see him in 2020. Josh Simm played a fair bit at Leigh this year and played a few for Saints, I think he could get more games in 2020. 

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Yes, the likes of the Senior twins, Josh Simm, Jack Broadbent, Harry Newman all have size and athleticism. Jake Wardle too but he needs to fill out a bit.

I get your point on Gildart, although he did well vs NZ.

Having seen Gildart vs the Roosters in the WCC - I would be wary of pinning any long term England hopes on him.

His defence that night was criminal.

40 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree. Welsby looks like a very good prospect. 

Looked great for the schoolboys when beating the Aussies.

But was poor in both games vs London at Ealing. 

Hopefully he kicks on.

Archived