Breakthrough players 2020

On 19/11/2019 at 14:15, OMEGA said:

There's also Dom Young whose possibly the best of the lot!

6'6" 108KG centre or wing who has genuine speed and know how to play. Still only 18 and has had a number of NRL clubs sniffing around, most notably Melbourne Storm and Canberra.

Features a bit in tese highlights

As a regular at academy games, I have seen Dom from when he first stepped up to academy level, he's still very raw, certainly has the physique, speed, strength and skill, it's whether he can maintain that and build on that, he's a very talented and exciting player no doubt, but still very much in the learning stage, although i wouldn't be surprised to see him get a chance in the first team fold again this year.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 19/11/2019 at 18:27, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

At Leeds we have Jack Walker who could be an international in a year or 2.

Further off we have Harry Newman and Mikolaj Oledski who hopefully will establish themselves as good Super League players this year.

Corey Johnson could well break into Super League this year and Tom Holroyd looks a great prospect too. 

Is Jack Walker another in the Stevie Ward/Sutcliffe, Oledzki, Cameron Smith mould, young Leeds players who had the world stacked on their shoulders after 4 or 5 games? but haven't really hit the heights?

Walker was lauded as a world superstar after 4 games as a 17 year old, but doesn't seem to have kicked on a right lot, admittedly i don't watch him every week, but for 3 years now he's been talked up by the media and fans alike, a bit like the others I've mentioned, yet he seems no nearer to becoming the superstar everyone made him out to be, is this the year we really see him step up?

On 21/11/2019 at 16:49, Saint Toppy said:

Is he the lad who played for Hudds 1st team this year in the game at Saints ?

If so, he had a real mare - looked way out of his depth 

He got our MotM, he didn't do too bad, considering we had 5 academy lads in a back 7 that included Tom Holmes, we had around 20 SL appearances in positions 1-7, we also had 3 more academy  lads in the pack and on the bench, so they were probably all out of their depth in all honesty, especially against a saints side with a full strength team of internationals to choose from.

He took the ball in well, looked for work and ran strong, but a I've already said, he's still very much developing, as is our team in all ways!

20 minutes ago, meast said:

Is Jack Walker another in the Stevie Ward/Sutcliffe, Oledzki, Cameron Smith mould, young Leeds players who had the world stacked on their shoulders after 4 or 5 games? but haven't really hit the heights?

Walker was lauded as a world superstar after 4 games as a 17 year old, but doesn't seem to have kicked on a right lot, admittedly i don't watch him every week, but for 3 years now he's been talked up by the media and fans alike, a bit like the others I've mentioned, yet he seems no nearer to becoming the superstar everyone made him out to be, is this the year we really see him step up?

Not entirely convinced by Jack Walker either...

What heights should they have hit? Both Walker and Oledski are excellent young players.

Walker has just turned 20, he already has a Super League Winners medal, made 56 appearances for Leeds and is an England Knights International.

Oledski too is an England Knights International despite only been a 21 year old prop forward.

If it wasn’t for injuries Stevie Ward would have played for Great Britain this year.

43 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Not entirely convinced by Jack Walker either...

But your convinced by Welsby? Walker was playing, and playing well , in Grand finals and world club championships when he was Welsbys age. 

Club bias aside, both are very good young players who could be top class.

3 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

But your convinced by Welsby? Walker was playing, and playing well , in Grand finals and world club championships when he was Welsbys age. 

Of course I am not convinced... potential needs to be realised. I am not entirely convinced Walker has the all round game to be genuine top class; Welsby has already shown better ability to distribute the ball than Walker IMO. Both are excellent young prospects but need to realise that potential. Only time will tell...

31 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Of course I am not convinced... potential needs to be realised. I am not entirely convinced Walker has the all round game to be genuine top class; Welsby has already shown better ability to distribute the ball than Walker IMO. Both are excellent young prospects but need to realise that potential. Only time will tell...

Distribution at Academy level and distribution at first team level are completely different challenges. Time will tell, right now though, il take the lad who's actually done something at first team level. 

This isnt a knock on Welsby by the way, i think he's a fantastic prospect.

7 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

Distribution at Academy level and distribution at first team level are completely different challenges. Time will tell, right now though, il take the lad who's actually done something at first team level. 

This isnt a knock on Welsby by the way, i think he's a fantastic prospect.

I saw enough of Welsby's distribution skills against Warrington and Leeds last year in SL to think he's got a bit of extra ability in that department. That said, you are right (and Nadera), Walker has won something in a starting 13 so no doubt you'll take him...

Lets hope both are challenging for international honours (along with Herbie Farnworth) for the next 10 years; will only benefit the national side.

9 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I saw enough of Welsby's distribution skills against Warrington and Leeds last year in SL to think he's got a bit of extra ability in that department. That said, you are right (and Nadera), Walker has won something in a starting 13 so no doubt you'll take him...

Lets hope both are challenging for international honours (along with Herbie Farnworth) for the next 10 years; will only benefit the national side.

Indeed...When it comes to young British players,  the more good ones the better. Despite the rivalry between teams, if Saints, Wigan, Giants  or whoever...Are producing quality youngsters, then im happpy. 

6 hours ago, rhinos78 said:

Let’s be 100% straight here, if Leeds had any one of Barba, Lomax, Coote or sometimes Makinson available then Walker wouldn’t have got close to being the established first choice full back.

I like him, I’ve seen him develop from being at U12s but he’s hit a plateau in his development at the moment, hopefully he’ll kick on again at some point.

11 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Let’s be 100% straight here, if Leeds had any one of Barba, Lomax, Coote or sometimes Makinson available then Walker wouldn’t have got close to being the established first choice full back.

I like him, I’ve seen him develop from being at U12s but he’s hit a plateau in his development at the moment, hopefully he’ll kick on again at some point.

Its irrelevant how he got his opportunity, daft argument that could be used for any youngster getting a first team chance.  he got his chance, and he's played well in the biggest games a club side will play and regularly plays well at superleague level, right now, thats way more than Welsby has done.

His development is going fine, he's only turned 20 in August and when fit, which has been an issue for him, he's been good. 

19 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

I’m inclined to agree with this, even as a Leeds fan. Walker’s development has plateaued a bit, in part due to a season disrupted with injury. This season is a big one for him, although he still has plenty of time to develop his other attributes.

What he does have is a good turn of pace, bravery, and footwork but he is somewhat limited - his passing game leaves a lot to be desired, particularly under pressure and he doesn’t have a kicking game. So I agree Welsby has a better all round game at the moment. 

There are a number of full backs in the league which lack the all round game now expected of top full backs, including England hopefuls Shaul, Evalds and McIntosh. 

11 hours ago, rhinos78 said:

Its irrelevant how he got his opportunity, daft argument that could be used for any youngster getting a first team chance.  he got his chance, and he's played well in the biggest games a club side will play and regularly plays well at superleague level, right now, thats way more than Welsby has done.

His development is going fine, he's only turned 20 in August and when fit, which has been an issue for him, he's been good. 

No, it’s a daft argument to use Walkers status an 18 year old at Leeds  with Welsbys status at the same age at Sts to suggest Walker is a better player. The opportunities & circumstances at the two clubs couldn’t be more different and Walker wouldn’t be near the first team if he were at Sts!

34 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

No, it’s a daft argument to use Walkers status an 18 year old at Leeds  with Welsbys status at the same age at Sts to suggest Walker is a better player. The opportunities & circumstances at the two clubs couldn’t be more different and Walker wouldn’t be near the first team if he were at Sts!

Its not how quickly he got the oppurtunity, its what he done with those oppurtunities, Walkers played well in the biggest club games possible when he was Welsbys age and gone on to play well regularly at superleague level, playing in a poor team. So far, Welsbys an academy star with a few first team games in a well coached team, some good games , some not so. To say he's a better player than Walker at this stage isnt just daft, its ridiculous. Welsbys got serious talent, So has Walker, Walkers got the miles on the clock.

Leeds decided they didnt need to sign a fullback because they had an teenage Walker, Saints decided to sign Coote, despite having a teenage Welsby, so once again, its irrelevant how he got his opportunity.

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 19:42, OMEGA said:

I don’t think so as he was recovering from a bad foot injury early in the season, that said he would only have been 17 years old at that time as well.

Had he not sustained the foot injury he was due to fly to Melbourne and spend a couple of months training with the Storm to aid his development.

Went back & checked - yes it was Dom Young who played on the wing at Saints back in round 18 in June. I remembered him because he stood out so much for his size, particularly as a wingman. Sadly for him on that day he also stood out for the numerous errors he made. He was thrown into an already badly performing team, but hopefully it didn't do any lasting damage to his confidence. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

On 18/11/2019 at 21:48, Mr Frisky said:

Everyone, including a lot of us on here talks a lot about Johnstone. Hes not that young anymore, has been injured alot and it begs the question -  if he is that good why haven't any of the big boys come in for him yet?

Are we missing something?

That's because unlike you most people know what they are talking about.

The big boys as you put it were in for him, that's why Trinity nailed him down to a five year deal, that's clearly something you were missing.

He's not been injured 'a lot' he has had only two injuries, both unfortunately both were season ending.

On 18/11/2019 at 21:57, Man of Kent said:

He’s always injured! 

Defensively he’s a bit suspect but he’s got pace and some power.

Watched the highlights of the PNG game earlier and it struck me GB didn't have any players with the pace to do what that Kumuls player did from acting half at the end of the first half. We’re in dire need of pace.

So go on where has this 'defensively suspect' tag come from other than your ignorant imagination? Johnstone has never been any such thing, yes he got caught out once or twice as a 19 year old but name me one that doesn't at that age. Now he's as sound as any other player, end of. As for being always injured then yet more staggering ignorance on your part, he's player 80 games at aged only 24, that's a reasonable record by any standards. Had he not suffered his ACL injuries it would have been about a 100, so thats 80% availability, go on think about it.

If he gets back from injury and regains his form he will be back in contention for full honours.

Note: Tom Johnstone is hardly a breakthrough player so why he's even being discussed on this thead baffles me.

Archived