Classic matches

JohnH685

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1978. 5th November. GB v Australia at Odsal . Included a tough as teak front row of Mills, Fisher and Lockwood and the best British standoff I have ever seen in Roger Millward. And of course a GB win.

Fairbairn; Wright, Joyner, Dyl, Atkinson; Millward (captain), Nash; Mills, Fisher, Lockwood, Nicholls, Lowe, Norton. 
Subs. Holmes, Rose.

I though the 1987 CC Final was a great game, doesn't get the kudos it deserves.

Also the 1990 1st and 2nd Tests Gt Britain v Australia

1985 NZ v Australia and Great Britain series were all great games, plenty of action.

1986 3rd Test Gt Britain v Australia for GB's great tries and the brilliant passing game of Harry Pinner.

2 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Not sure if these are old enough to be considered classics but:

2013 RLWC Semi Final - England v NZ

2010 NRL playoffs - Roosters vs Wests

Both are definitely worth watching

Simon Dwyer on JWH sure is

I started watching international RL properly in 1987, and these have been absolute classics, and well worth digging out if they can be found. I make no apologies for the Eng/GB slant, and these are just from those first few years following INt RL. This is generally why I am such a huge fan of Test RL!:

1988 - Aus v GB 3rd Test in Sydney - possibly more a classic from a GB fan pov, but so many iconic moments, Mike Gregory 70m try, Henderson Gill's bit of a boogie...

1990 - GB v Aus 1st Test at Wembley - maybe as above, but less iconic!

1992 - Aus v GB 2nd Test in Melbourne - a great win for the underdog

1994 - GB v Aus at Wembley - that Jonathan Davies Try, GB down to 12 men. I got on telly after Davies scored. All great memories!

1995 - WC Eng v Aus at Wembley - great opener, win for the underdog set the tournament up nicely

1995 - WC NZ v Tonga at Warrington - this was one of the most memorable games of my life, and I genuinely think this game gave real hope that international RL could be more than 5 teams playing each other. And it was a classic match with an amazing atmosphere.

1995 - WC Wales v Samoa - a packed stadium in Swansea, watched this on Live TV, was a brutal game. Seeing the Welsh fans passionately get behind their team was a superb sight.

1995 - WC Aus v NZ Semi Final - this nearly changed it all. The Aussies almost went out in this game. That would have been huge, and we still haven't seen the Aussies knocked out before the final yet in modern WC's.

1995 - WC Final Aus v Eng - not a classic tbh, but if you watch the above, you may as well see the final!

Archived