Bennett quote

On BBC podcast

"Other than the results and the score board it has been a wonderful tour" 

???????????? 

Are we supposed to be happy the squad has had a good old jolly!/ cultural experience?? 

I get annoyed generally when the benefit to the player's world exoerience stuff is even mentioned. They are professionals paid to do a job

If a group of businessmen have a project for a few weeks abroad all that matters is the result not whether they have enjoyed it

Ridiculous... BENNETT OUT

Just now, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

On BBC podcast

"Other than the results and the score board it has been a wonderful tour" 

???????????? 

Are we supposed to be happy the squad has had a good old jolly!/ cultural experience?? 

I get annoyed generally when the benefit to the player's world exoerience stuff is even mentioned. They are professionals paid to do a job

If a group of businessmen have a project for a few weeks abroad all that matters is the result not whether they have enjoyed it

Ridiculous... BENNETT OUT

Thing is it needs to be enjoyable for the players as well , we need tours as something to entice and inspire players; sure the results were not what we wanted but there has to be some view of a bigger picture.

Bennett out I’m in total agreement 

3 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Thing is it needs to be enjoyable for the players as well , we need tours as something to entice and inspire players; sure the results were not what we wanted but there has to be some view of a bigger picture.

If enjoyment means results yes I agree

However if it meant a 4-0 win I'd gladly swap for a divided/unhappy tour and squad 

They are paid well, very well. That is there reward

13 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

However if it meant a 4-0 win I'd gladly swap for a divided/unhappy tour and squad 

This is the first tour in a long time , I’m kind of grateful that we are playing international Rugby again 

37 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

I haven't heard the quote out loud, and am only judging by the words in text, but this looks like a classic case of irony/sarcasm. 

I can assure you he said it Word for word with not a sense of irony. After he talked about how good the experience was for the players.... Honestly I could not care less... I want results 

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I can assure you he said it Word for word with not a sense of irony. After he talked about how good the experience was for the players.... Honestly I could not care less... I want results 

We all want results but we need to play games! I hate Bennett’s style ; it reminds me of schoolboy stuff where people are learning the basics of the game! These are elite level pros so they should be thought about creative plays rather than 5 drives and a kick

I want the players to enjoy playing for England/GB and I hope they did enjoy the tour, despite the results. Yes, they're getting paid, but I still appreciate their efforts. They put their bodies on the line so that I can sit on my sofa and enjoy watching the matches. The players will be more disappointed than anyone that things didn't go well on the field. We didn't lose because of a lack of effort or because they didn't care. In sport you lose sometimes. Hopefully they can learn from the mistakes and do better next year against the Aussies.

30 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Parts off the last two games it seemed that way

I agree with this.

I am very wary to criticise professional Rugby League players for effort or attitude as they play such a tough game and put their body on the line every game.

But from 10-0 up to 28-10 down against PNG Great Britain were not beaten by a more skilful or more talented team, they were beaten by a team who wanted to win more.

Of all the things we can criticize Bennett for, this is the big one.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

How much do they get paid? 

27 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree with this.

I am very wary to criticise professional Rugby League players for effort or attitude as they play such a tough game and put their body on the line every game.

But from 10-0 up to 28-10 down against PNG Great Britain were not beaten by a more skilful or more talented team, they were beaten by a team who wanted to win more.

Of all the things we can criticize Bennett for, this is the big one.

Yes I agree. I remember watching the PNG game and feeling the players overall were not in the mood after half time and that they could have tried more. 

I rarely feel this about professional RL or RU players as given the physicality of the sport you cannot coast in a game. 

I can only reflect that the tactics and selections / mood within the camp had demoralised the players and once they saw some serious resistance from PNG they could not get up for it mentally enough to compete. 

I would love to hear an account of the tour in years to come from one of the players who was there. 

What happened to Coote for example? Full back in game one and a logical stand in at wing or centre once there were injuries yet he did not get a look in after the first game (he was fit as far as I know). 

It seemed certain players were going to get picked regardless of how they preformed. And this may have got to the others. 

Archived