Sign in to follow this  
RL does what Sky says

BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year

I see that the names of  the top 10 candidates have been announced for this year's BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year, one of whom is Caitlin Beevers of the Leeds Rhinos RL women's team.

However, as much as I congratulate her for her nomination and that it is always good to have RL representation, how many would consider her to be the top young player of the year throughout even the entire sport of Rugby League itself in 2019 never mind being among the top 10 in the country for every sport ?

16 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I see that the names of  the top 10 candidates have been announced for this year's BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year, one of whom is Caitlin Beevers of the Leeds Rhinos RL women's team.

However, as much as I congratulate her for her nomination and that it is always good to have RL representation, how many would consider her to be the top young player of the year throughout even the entire sport of Rugby League itself in 2019 never mind being among the top 10 in the country for every sport ?

Which other 18 year old Rugby League player (or 19, or 20) has won the Super League and Cup double this year and been selected to play for their national team?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Which other 18 year old Rugby League player (or 19, or 20) has won the Super League and Cup double this year and been selected to play for their national team?

And refereed at Wembley 

• Like 1

Surf's up!

What's the matter with people on here. We have a talented young Rugby League player who has won the double with her club and toured the Southern Hemisphere with her national team.

For this she has been selected as a candidate for young sports personality of the year which is great for her personally and our sport and yet all half of us can do on here is question her achievements and make fun of her.

It's bloody embarrassing. 

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 20

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

You know the award isn't 'young player of the year' right? Who would you nominate from RL instead?

Many congratulations to Caitlin

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

What's the matter with people on here. We have a talented young Rugby League player who has won the double with her club and toured the Southern Hemisphere with her national team.

For this is has been selected as a candidate for young sports personality of the year which is great for her personally and our sport and yet all half of us can do on here is question her achievements and make fun of her.

It's bloody embarrassing. 

I read the mood differently.   Wasn't the negative response basically poking fun at the BBC as we wouldn't likely get a mention, only for the fact the Beeb feels the need (correctly) to represent more females?   If another RL personality from the male SL had achieved this I really don't think the BBC would be shouting out for him.

I'm not saying this because I don't think Caitlin deserves a nomination, of course she does.   What I'm saying is that the BBC have never really cared about, or represented RL in SPOTY.   We had the Saints team who won team of the year through an internet vote (which the BBC then decried as misrepresentative as it was all RL fans who voted) and then the Kevin Sinfield event, where we failed to benefit from much of a mention despite him coming second (bloody RL fans again influencing results against proper sports).

Edited by Cheshire Setter
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I read the mood differently.   Wasn't the negative response basically poking fun at the BBC as we wouldn't likely get a mention, only for the fact the Beeb feels the need (correctly) to represent more females?   If another RL personality from the male SL had achieved this I really don't think the BBC would be shouting out for him.

I'm not saying this because I don't think Caitlin deserves a nomination, of course she does.   What I'm saying is that the BBC have never really cared about, or represented RL in SPOTY.   We had the Saints team who won team of the year through an internet vote (which the BBC then decried as misrepresentative as it was all RL fans who voted) and then the Kevin Sinfield event (where we failed to benefit from much of a mention despite him coming second (bloody RL fans again influencing results against proper sports).

I can only suggest you go and have a look at the history of the OP and his views on the womens game and how much coverage it warrants in his opinion. It may lead you to a different conclusion. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

You're embarrassing yourself with this one.

• Like 8

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

31 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I can only suggest you go and have a look at the history of the OP and his views on the womens game and how much coverage it warrants in his opinion. It may lead you to a different conclusion. 

Okay fair enough I hadn’t considered that 👍

In my defence I don’t get the chance to read or post much lately as I’ve been busy studying whenever I’m not in work.

Edited by Cheshire Setter
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Ihow many would consider her to be the top young player of the year throughout even the entire sport of Rugby League itself in 2019 never mind being among the top 10 in the country for every sport ?

I would consider her to be the top young player of the year throughout rugby league in 2019. Maybe you should have included a poll to find out how many others do too.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

For this she has been selected as a candidate for young sports personality of the year which is great for her personally and our sport and yet all half of us can do on here is question her achievements and make fun of her.

It's bloody embarrassing

...but oh so predictable.

• Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

We bemoan a lot about the PR and awareness the game gets , so if we get some , and positive at that , maybe we should accept it here and not overanalyse it .  It can’t do any harm , it’s a bit of wider publicity to the women’s game , which I do enjoy watching . And lastly well done to her

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I would consider her to be the top young player of the year throughout rugby league in 2019. Maybe you should have included a poll to find out how many others do too.

But that is exactly the question I asked   " .....how many would consider her to be the top young player throughout the entire sport of Rugby League itself in 2019 ...." 

No need for a poll, people can answer on here for themselves.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

You're embarrassing yourself with this one.

Why do your always feel the need to insult people when there is no need to ?

I just asked the question of how many people would consider her to be the top young player in RL of 2019 ?

You have obviously decided, for your own reasons, to read more into that than there is ... so it is not I who should be embarrassed !

Its a reasonable conclusion. You wrote, "However, as much as I congratulate her for her nomination and that it is always good to have RL representation, how many would consider her to be the top young player of the year throughout even the entire sport of Rugby League itself in 2019 never mind being among the top 10 in the country for every sport ? "

However = but = qualifier 

Four legs good - two legs bad

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Its a reasonable conclusion. You wrote, "However, as much as I congratulate her for her nomination and that it is always good to have RL representation, how many would consider her to be the top young player of the year throughout even the entire sport of Rugby League itself in 2019 never mind being among the top 10 in the country for every sport ? "

However = but = qualifier 

Yes, I congratulate her on her nomination but ask if people consider her to be the best young RL player of 2019 ... what's wrong in that ?

It's only like congratulating Tonga on beating Australia but asking if people consider them to be overall a better team throughout 2019.

Stop trying to find things that aren't there.

Apologies if I misunderstood the tenor of your post. I suspect that am not alone in my interpretation. Next time might be worth you reviewing what you have written for the avoidance of any doubt. It certainly conveys the impression that you think that there are others more deserving in the ranks of young players. 

Four legs good - two legs bad

7 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Are you suggesting there are males more deserving? 

12 hours ago, Copa said:

And her being up for the award might take some attention away from the glories of the Lions tour. :kolobok_wink:

• Haha 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

12 hours ago, Copa said:

Where in my question do I distinguish between males and females ?

Why is it that whenever someone questions anything which includes a woman that some people immediately make it a sexist issue ?

As an example from another walk of life ... in the "Apprentice" tv programme last night, the two females from a group of five were asked to work in a kitchen while the three males did other tasks - that was because the skills of each person were being used to their best advantage. Yet twice it was later mentioned in the programme about it being a sexist to put women in the kitchen even though there were good reasons for doing so other than their gender.

This political-correctness attitude is ruling everything thesedays and is being used as a complaint about everything even when the reasons for doing something are perfectly right.

To answer your question .... I am not suggesting that ANY other player is more deserving. The question I originally asked to ascertain people's opinion about if they thought Caitlin Beevers was the top overall young player within RL for 2019.

13 hours ago, JohnM said:

Apologies if I misunderstood the tenor of your post. I suspect that am not alone in my interpretation. Next time might be worth you reviewing what you have written for the avoidance of any doubt. It certainly conveys the impression that you think that there are others more deserving in the ranks of young players. 

What doubt ? I asked people for their opinion if they thought she was the best young player of 2019 - I didn''t give an opinion so how can that convey the impression that I thought there were better ones ?

I can only write a question ... how other people want to put their own interpretation on it is not my fault.

4 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The question I originally asked to ascertain people's opinion about if they thought Caitlin Beevers was the top overall young player within RL for 2019.

As I have said before. Name another young player in the game who has achieved as much as she did this year?