Formula E

New season starts with a double header of two races on Friday and Saturday in Saudi Arabia.

I’ve never really followed it in the past, but am going to give it a go as it’s on Eurosport and BBC online.

Found this season’s F1 very disappointed and believe Formula E enjoys greater competition across the board as the cars handle more evenly.

Anyone else on board?

5 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

I enjoy it apart form the random "powerups" or whatever they call them which seem like a computer game gimmick "drive on the glowing arrow and you get extra power"

I believe this year the fans can vote to give a driver a power boost at some point during the race.

Seems a bit gimmicky, but I guess it makes it more interactive and could lead to some exciting racing situations.

Like the ethos that fans are encouraged to use public transport to attend the many street circuits that make up that make up the championship.

33 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I believe this year the fans can vote to give a driver a power boost at some point during the race.

Seems a bit gimmicky, but I guess it makes it more interactive and could lead to some exciting racing situations.

But it takes away from the technical prowess of the team or driving skills of the Driver

Going a bit too much towards the film Deathrace or even MarioKart

I like single make series etc where you know it is the drivers skills (and their teams fettling prowess) you are watching not a twitter popularity contest

49 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

But it takes away from the technical prowess of the team or driving skills of the Driver

I like single make series etc where you know it is the drivers skills (and their teams fettling prowess) you are watching not a twitter popularity contest

There's a middle ground; in Moto2 and Moto3 (the levels below Motorcycle Grand Prix), they all have the same engines in their respective classes, but can design their own chassis and other aspects of the bikes. More variety than one-make (which can look a bit samey regardless of the paintjobs) and still very competitive.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

giphy.gif

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Well imagine car A leads car B by a few seconds and the people watching choose to give a boost to car B.

What could be more exciting in motorsports than real head to head action?

It’s got to be more interesting than this year’s sadly predictable F1 snore fest at least.

In what way is an artificial boost based on the motorsport equivalent of the OurLeague app "real head to head action"?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

36 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

There's a middle ground; in Moto2 and Moto3 (the levels below Motorcycle Grand Prix), they all have the same engines in their respective classes, but can design their own chassis and other aspects of the bikes. More variety than one-make (which can look a bit samey regardless of the paintjobs) and still very competitive.

I love even lower level bike racing - especially supersports where the bikes are close to what you can buy. Same with touring cars and things like Ginetta Jnr

You can tinker with sporting rules to quite a degree but sometimes you go just that bit too far and lose focus of what the underlying point of your sport is. Forumula E is an interesting concept and I'd be open to watching it. But it should be a test of driver and car against driver and car. DRS in F1 is very close IMO but fans determining who can challenge and when nudges it too close too, in fact beyond, the Mickey Mouse line.

Imagine if we could vote for Kendall to give less favourable calls to St Helens in the Grand Final; it would have made it more competitive and we'd have enjoyed it all but it's just wrong as a process.

23 minutes ago, M j M said:

You can tinker with sporting rules to quite a degree but sometimes you go just that bit too far and lose focus of what the underlying point of your sport is. Forumula E is an interesting concept and I'd be open to watching it. But it should be a test of driver and car against driver and car. DRS in F1 is very close IMO but fans determining who can challenge and when nudges it too close too, in fact beyond, the Mickey Mouse line.

Imagine if we could vote for Kendall to give less favourable calls to St Helens in the Grand Final; it would have made it more competitive and we'd have enjoyed it all but it's just wrong as a process.

Here’s a link to how it actually works:

https://fanboost.fiaformulae.com/info

Seems to me it will be far less decisive than you might fear.

It’s a gimmick for sure for a motorsport trying to attract new fans.

I don’t believe it’s something that would detract from anyone’s enjoyment of the racing, but I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

43 minutes ago, M j M said:

If we allowed fan votes in RL, that would require the return of capital punishment before anyone was even slightly satisfied. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

If we allowed fan votes in RL, that would require the return of capital punishment before anyone was even slightly satisfied. 

Press 1 to give a penalty to Home side for £1

Press 2 to give a penalty to Away side for £1

Press 3 to activate the electrodes on the refs testicles £10

Press 4 to power those electrodes £100

On 21/11/2019 at 11:41, SSoutherner said:

Everybody gets Power Boosts during the race, the team skill is when to use them, drivers skill is making sure you drive over both arrows to activate power boost, if you miss, you have to wait another lap, when it may not be tactically advantageous.

On 21/11/2019 at 11:41, SSoutherner said:

That would be quite entertaining actually - drivers taking each other out with heat seating red shells and dropping banana peels to make other cars spin round. I think you're on to something there.

As for Formula E, I watched a bit of the Saudi Arabia race but I got a bit bored and switched over. It was ok but the track was quite narrow and there wasn't too much overtaking going on. I'd be willing to give it another try though as I do like some motorsport - I've enjoyed the F1 this year. I expect they've got a website for it so I'll have a look and see when and where the other races are,

Archived