Smaller squads ?

Stirlin

It doesn’t work for most clubs. Suppose you could say it works if your at or near the top as in fev last season and YORK the season before. For everyone else it’s a failure or that’s the excuse. For me it’s just plain wrong on every level

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

On 22/11/2019 at 12:52, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

See what he says come June

but he is saying in the article that he is expecting to recruit throughout the season, including Loan moves. 

It strikes me that all he is saying is that he isnt filling up the squad for the sake of it and would rather run with a smaller squad and add to it rather than sign people he is not sure about now and not have room later and have to play people he is pretty sure now arent going to be up to the job. If you look down the squad of almost every team you get to a point of thinking "if he's playing we really are in the sh**" hes just not signing those players.. 

its a different approach but seems eminently sensible to me and will potentially save them money too which is no bad thing. 

Could still end up with a 30 man squad at the end of the season but one that he has more faith in to play when needed.

Each week there will be just over 200 players play in a SL game, and almost 240 players will play tier 2 in the Championship.

But the 12 SL squads also tend to contain, as well as the 200 most talented players, players 201-400 in terms of ability as well (very roughly speaking, clearly there are some Championship players who are better than existing SL fringe players).

So if each Championship squad has 21 players, that would mean those guys are, again very roughly, players 401-700 in terms of ability.

But with DR and loans allowed by the regulations, why would Championship teams want to sign players outside the top 700 in terms of ability to pad out their 1st team squads when there are 200 players in the top 400 each week who aren't getting a game and are going to be available?

Yes, clubs need to make contingency plans for a bad run of injuries especially as the season progresses, but I think quite a few clubs are looking at Fev's template from last season and trying to emulate it (see also Bradford's very different approach in terms of squad size compared with their huge squad last year).

2 hours ago, RP London said:

but he is saying in the article that he is expecting to recruit throughout the season, including Loan moves. 

It strikes me that all he is saying is that he isnt filling up the squad for the sake of it and would rather run with a smaller squad and add to it rather than sign people he is not sure about now and not have room later and have to play people he is pretty sure now arent going to be up to the job. If you look down the squad of almost every team you get to a point of thinking "if he's playing we really are in the sh**" hes just not signing those players.. 

its a different approach but seems eminently sensible to me and will potentially save them money too which is no bad thing. 

Could still end up with a 30 man squad at the end of the season but one that he has more faith in to play when needed.

Exactly. York did a similar thing last year - running with an initial squad of 24 players - and went ok.

Without a team in the reserve structure (yet) there's no point in the Knights running with a squad of 30-odd players.

7 hours ago, RP London said:

Team spirit and values take time to instil though. For me there is value in starting the year with a full squad and setting out your stall. That way everyone on board

I know later signings can work but as a Broncos fan I will tell you they often don't 

On 26/11/2019 at 16:47, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Team spirit and values take time to instil though. For me there is value in starting the year with a full squad and setting out your stall. That way everyone on board

I know later signings can work but as a Broncos fan I will tell you they often don't 

yes and no... team spirit is all well and good but if you have no trust in 10 of the squad then you can/will still have issues when it gets to the end of the season. There is no point in having players just to fill the numbers on a squad list. Its not about panic buys later in the season but its about adding them when you think you are getting the best players. The old adage of "no deal is better than a bad deal" is true in this case.. you are betting a little on the fact you wont suddenly get an injury crisis and that is a risk but equally there is a risk with the finances that you employ 33 people with the intention of not playing 10 of them unless you absolutely must (because you don't rate them high enough) and then you dont have a sudden injury crisis and you have wasted £150k + on wages for 10 players you didnt really want anyway.. 

have to say I'm with York.. it doesnt always work out but its probably a gamble worth taking.. 

8 hours ago, SL17 said:

Not really much depth, unless you have other measures in place.

The bonus being they have kept the core players.

Others have upgraded..

Seriously? Out of all the likely top 5 contenders, York are the ones who have most obviously improved on paper. Clarkson, Keinhorst, Washbrook, Sharp and possibly Johnston and Green all look upgrades over the previous incumbent. The only significant loss I can see is Graeme Horne.

All the other contenders, whilst making new signings, have lost players of significance - the likes of Douglas and Cator at Leigh, King, Jones, Golding & Walters at Fev, plus Ryan Carr (though we have recruited well too), Marguerite, Curran, Hepi and one or two others at Toulouse, and virtually an entire starting XII at London.

On 29/11/2019 at 11:07, The Phantom Horseman said:

Seriously? Out of all the likely top 5 contenders, York are the ones who have most obviously improved on paper. Clarkson, Keinhorst, Washbrook, Sharp and possibly Johnston and Green all look upgrades over the previous incumbent. The only significant loss I can see is Graeme Horne.

All the other contenders, whilst making new signings, have lost players of significance - the likes of Douglas and Cator at Leigh, King, Jones, Golding & Walters at Fev, plus Ryan Carr (though we have recruited well too), Marguerite, Curran, Hepi and one or two others at Toulouse, and virtually an entire starting XII at London.

I see where london went wrong last year now!!! ?

Archived