14 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Buzkashi

I wanted to play but the other lads said I was too tough for them.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Scotland has a population of 5.4 million, almost identical to the county of Yorkshire. Given the difference in size between the country and the county (result being Scotland is sparsely populated, Yor

So how did we get from talking about Jacksonville Axemen to Scottish football?

Not my cup of tea either, but I’d say it probably is the second biggest sport in the world, certainly in terms of geographic spread (cricket and one billion Indians often gets brought up to counter th

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I wanted to play but the other lads said I was too tough for them.

I wanted to play as well but it wasn't taught in my school. And I can't ride a horse.... Still very popular though, did you know its the national sport of several countries? Well that and some varient versions anyway. 

I played pesapello when I was in finland with some Finnish friends, didn't really understand it but I vaguely know the rules to baseball so I got by. They didn't do that in my school either. It is quite popular though, the national sport of Finland. 

And both are as irrelavent to Jacksonville Axemen as are any of the other random sports that have been mentioned on this thread.

Now, Sumo..... 

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don’t know anything about basketball and nor do I want to, I’d rather watch paint dry. However I do know it isn’t the second sport in the world and it is not the main sport in some of the counties you are quoting. 

It’s the main sport in both countries I said it was. You’re not very good at this.

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I wanted to play as well but it wasn't taught in my school. And I can't ride a horse.... Still very popular though, did you know its the national sport of several countries? Well that and some varient versions anyway. 

I played pesapello when I was in finland with some Finnish friends, didn't really understand it but I vaguely know the rules to baseball so I got by. They didn't do that in my school either. It is quite popular though, the national sport of Finland. 

And both are as irrelavent to Jacksonville Axemen as are any of the other random sports that have been mentioned on this thread.

Now, Sumo..... 

Will you stop mentioning Jacksonville Axemen? They are clearly not the point of this thread.

• Haha 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, westside said:

Numerous posters have already explained to you the difference between an official national sport and the most popular sport, Googleman.

You’re tiresome and won’t admit when you’re wrong, neither are redeeming traits. Will leave you to it. 

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Swimming and sprinting are ' races ' based much more on athletic ability than skill , also both are individual sports not requiring the ability to interact with your team mates , totally different , basketball does require skill and teamwork , but to be an elite Basketball player you do need to be abnormally tall , I'm sure there are basketball players in PNG , I doubt we'll ever see one in the NBA no matter how good he is 

" Iverson was an 11-time NBA All-Star, won the All-Star game MVP award in 2001 and 2005, and was the NBA's Most Valuable Player (MVP) in 2001. He was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2016. His regular season career scoring average of 26.7 points per game ranks seventh all-time, and his playoff career scoring average of 29.7 points per game is second only to Michael Jordan." Allen Iverson was 5'11, is that abnormally tall? 

6 hours ago, yipyee said:

Every kid in every school in the UK will play basketball it's on the criculum. This is alongside football, hockey and cricket.

Only a fraction of schools will play Rugby league in school.

I think you don't like basketball for some reason (maybe you are not very tall??) and are trying to pretend it's not a big global sport.

I dont have an opinion on Netball marra, as this is a RL Forum.

I played Rugby at School and everyone I new also did, it was mainly RU but the lads who liked it ended up playing RL at weekends as I lived in a RL area. I also never played Basketball at school but the girls did play netball and seemed to enjoy them selves.

If you were in a group who played Basketball but not Rugby was it because you wernt very athletic?

Anyway back to the thread - what's your thoughts on the Axemen or even US RL in general.

What's your opinion on

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

So we've gone from Scottish football to Philippines sports, basketball a ton of other sports in a thread about Jacksonville Axemen. 

Yep not for some reason the Basketball wont go away - maybe next we can compair The Axemen to boomerang throwing......

• Haha 1
44 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

I played Rugby at School and everyone I new also did, it was mainly RU but the lads who liked it ended up playing RL at weekends as I lived in a RL area. I also never played Basketball at school but the girls did play netball and seemed to enjoy them selves.

If you were in a group who played Basketball but not Rugby was it because you wernt very athletic?

Anyway back to the thread - what's your thoughts on the Axemen or even US RL in general.

What's your opinion on

Too many knocks to the head or were you born this way?

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, yipyee said:

Every kid in every school in the UK will play basketball it's on the criculum. This is alongside football, hockey and cricket.

Only a fraction of schools will play Rugby league in school.

National Sporting Curriculum -

Pupils should be taught to:

 use and develop a variety of tactics and strategies to overcome opponents in team and individual games [for example, badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders, rugby[both codes] and tennis]. 

 develop their technique and improve their performance in other competitive sports,[for example, athletics and gymnastics], or other physical activities [for example, dance]

 take part in further outdoor and adventurous activities in a range of environments which present intellectual and physical challenges and which encourage pupils to work in a team, building on trust and developing skills to solve problems, either individually or as a group

 continue to take part regularly in competitive sports and activities outside school through community links or sports clubs.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

3 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

National Sporting Curriculum -

Pupils should be taught to:

 use and develop a variety of tactics and strategies to overcome opponents in team and individual games [for example, badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders, rugby[both codes] and tennis]. 

 develop their technique and improve their performance in other competitive sports,[for example, athletics and gymnastics], or other physical activities [for example, dance]

 take part in further outdoor and adventurous activities in a range of environments which present intellectual and physical challenges and which encourage pupils to work in a team, building on trust and developing skills to solve problems, either individually or as a group

 continue to take part regularly in competitive sports and activities outside school through community links or sports clubs.

Well I never played it son but then I'm over 12 years old. As I said the girls seem to like playing it.

The rest of your post is just babbling.

Any actual comments on the Axemen?? Or boomerang? - we will take anything??

We didn’t play basketball in school either, though admittedly that was in the 80s and 90s and obviously things may have changed. 

However even if it is a must according to the national curriculum and all pupils have to do it (which I doubt) it’s not a sign of the popularity of the sport. For example maths is compulsory but it wouldn’t be considered a lesson that most pupils can’t wait to get to. 

At this point I am asking myself why on earth I’m bothering with this inane debate, I bet the Axemen didn’t know they could attract so much attention on a mainly UK RL forum. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

What's your opinion on

Which century did you go to school if you didn't play basketball??

Every school has a sports hall with basketball nets??

Are you seriously saying the only sport you played in high school was rugby? I find that hard to believe!

I was in a school that learnt multiple sports with boys and girls playing all sports with no stereotypical divisions...

Also depending on the criteria basketball is the national sport in many countries... might not be the most popular mind. I also found out the national sport of Scotland is golf??

Now US RL. I think the game is too fast for them but there is definitely a market.

RL has a footprint in the US and there could be a pro club with feeder teams unlike Canada.