Embarking on the Wembley trail…

4 hours ago, snoopdog said:

If your asking local amateur clubs to merge you really haven't a clue , pro clubs is a different argument. However this thread is about one Cumberland league team invited into the Challenge cup .

Ermmm firstly the thread is about 44 clubs who are starting on the Wembley trail not one Cumberland club so you must be on the wrong thread.

Secondly I was responding to a post saying the powers that be are abandoning Cumbria which just isn't the case.

You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink!

4 hours ago, Davo5 said:

No development officers,dwindling players and clubs,RFL shutting down the academy and as for the powers that be advising a pro club merger,I've yet to speak with anyone involved in RL up here that was actually approached for their views on the game in the area by this "extensive" study the powers that be carried out.

Development officers where pulled across the country.

Dwindling players is an issue in all sports country wide 

RFL shut down the academy but most other academy's are club run. Should the RFL run academy's in areas with no clear plathway above this level?

Finally the merger. The powers that be did a study and the outcome was that to turn the area proffessional a merger was required.  A failed first season in SL led to the region choosing to stay semi pro and have been left behind since. Semi pro clubs just can't compete with professional clubs.

The powers that be said what was required for success in the area they did not turn their backs and walk away.

Incidently a merged fully pro club would support the academy (thats now gone) and have community officers that would engage with schools and the community's which would increase participation numbers.

15 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Ermmm firstly the thread is about 44 clubs who are starting on the Wembley trail not one Cumberland club so you must be on the wrong thread.

Secondly I was responding to a post saying the powers that be are abandoning Cumbria which just isn't the case.

You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink!

And you know "the powers that be " haven't abandoned Cumbria how???

Do you live in Cumbria ?

Are you aware of the decline in a once hotbed of RL ? 

6 hours ago, DoubleD said:

It would likely have to be even earlier if those who wished the final to be played in May again 

No it really wouldn't, there are now more Pro/Semi Pro clubs than there has ever been, it used to be that a couple of Amatuer teams were invited to make the numbers up and everyone was thrown into the hat together, hence an amateur team could have been drawn against a top pro team full of internationals, the long list of amateur clubs now invited is only there to allow SL teams to enter at a late stage - some later than others, bottom 9th 10th and 11th from the previous season plus the promoted club one round earlier than the top 8 finishing clubs.

The likelihood is that the finalists will be from the top 8 SL teams who enter the comp at it's 6th round stage meaning they only have to win 3 games to reach Wembley, it is no wonder the comp is losing its appeal.

How about, we now have 36 pro/semi pro clubs, if the bottom 8 C1 clubs from the previous season played in a preliminary round then the 4 victors could join the remaining 28 clubs making 32 in total, they could then all be thrown into the hat and we could have a proper draw, no seeding, everyone in, that would be interesting, 5 rounds to reach Wembley.

3 hours ago, snoopdog said:

You haven't a scooby doo .

A Scooby more than a snoopdog

Stick your head back in the sand mate, be careful though as next time you pop it up you will be further in the past as the region is left behind through their own failings

10 minutes ago, yipyee said:

A Scooby more than a snoopdog

Stick your head back in the sand mate, be careful though as next time you pop it up you will be further in the past as the region is left behind through their own failings

There's only one sticking it in the sand ?you probably don't even know where Cumbria is. Another touchline international  who's got an opinion about everything but offers absolutely nothing (other than typical Cumbrian stereotypes) 

26 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No it really wouldn't, there are now more Pro/Semi Pro clubs than there has ever been, it used to be that a couple of Amatuer teams were invited to make the numbers up and everyone was thrown into the hat together, hence an amateur team could have been drawn against a top pro team full of internationals, the long list of amateur clubs now invited is only there to allow SL teams to enter at a late stage - some later than others, bottom 9th 10th and 11th from the previous season plus the promoted club one round earlier than the top 8 finishing clubs.

The likelihood is that the finalists will be from the top 8 SL teams who enter the comp at it's 6th round stage meaning they only have to win 3 games to reach Wembley, it is no wonder the comp is losing its appeal.

How about, we now have 36 pro/semi pro clubs, if the bottom 8 C1 clubs from the previous season played in a preliminary round then the 4 victors could join the remaining 28 clubs making 32 in total, they could then all be thrown into the hat and we could have a proper draw, no seeding, everyone in, that would be interesting, 5 rounds to reach Wembley.

And deny the chance for amateur clubs to have their day in the sun? I know as a player that it was one of the highlights of my year...........it’s part of the magic of the cup (don’t take that little thing away)

24 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

There's only one sticking it in the sand ?you probably don't even know where Cumbria is. Another touchline international  who's got an opinion about everything but offers absolutely nothing (other than typical Cumbrian stereotypes) 

Erm this is a forum to discuss opinions.

My opinion may differ to yours but it doesn't make it wrong!

My observation is that after the pro clubs didn't take the proffessional advice on how to turn the region into a 21st century proffessional sport there has been a downhill path taken.

Whilst you need a solid foundation you need a top for the pyramid. 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yeah denying entry to amateur teams is sure to get more people interested in the cup,dear me those same amateurs have provided some of the better highlights in recent years.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

By choosing 8 clubs to go into a prelim round you have seeded it and it isnt a 'proper draw'.  

15 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah denying entry to amateur teams is sure to get more people interested in the cup,dear me those same amateurs have provided some of the better highlights in recent years.

C'mon Dav you ought to know my respect for the Amateur game, you have read enough of my comments, most of my existance is having a relationship with the amatuer game in a whole range of various functions. 

I wrote it for a reaction, and pleasantly surprising those who have commented have 'stood up' for the amatuers, now all we need is a about 20,000 more to join us, to get along next season to support their local team, also if they can help out and assist in whatever capacity do so, but just attending is just fine, get the kids involved, and watch our game blossom.

Archived