Trent Merrin on his way back to the NRL?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like a lot of the Antipodeans who come over here, Merrin was an integeral part of a system he played under and a good exponent of it to, he was one of the cogs that kept the machine going.

The role many of these Antipodeans have to play when they come to SL is 'foreign' to what they have played before and when they are a 'High Profile' signing so much more is expected of them, they are deemed to be the drive wheel in the engine when previously they have been in a supporting role, where every one takes to the field and knows the function they have to perform to. 

I have no doubt he will fall straight back into the system he has performed in for nearly all of his professional career, and will be at the top again. 

There are quite a few who could not perform to the level expected of them in our League the most notable I can remember is Mark 'Spud' Carroll an absolute donkey taken out of his environment performing for London Bronco's, but he goes back to Aus and plays Origin again.

Sounds complicated if it hinges on offloading Luciano Leilua and Rhinos signing Matt Prior. I didn't even know Prior wanted to go anywhere. I would have taken him at Wests. He's had a remarkably hardy career for a forward. I think he averages 20 games a year over 10+ years. (Actually I just checked, Without his debut year when he didn't crack first-grade until mid-season, he's averaged 23 games a year over 11 years.)

Maybe Wests won't take Leilua or Prior will decide to stay put and the whole thing will come to nought.

Another point: I wonder how much influence the wives have in these decisions. I know a couple of NRL players came back early because the wife wouldn't shut up about how homesick she was.

The 30-year-old, who was named Rhinos skipper midway through the season, is expecting his first child with partner Jessica and hopes to be closer to their support networks in Australia.

1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

Sounds complicated if it hinges on offloading Luciano Leilua and Rhinos signing Matt Prior. I didn't even know Prior wanted to go anywhere. I would have taken him at Wests. He's had a remarkably hardy career for a forward. I think he averages 20 games a year over 10+ years. (Actually I just checked, Without his debut year when he didn't crack first-grade until mid-season, he's averaged 23 games a year over 11 years.)

Maybe Wests won't take Leilua or Prior will decide to stay put and the whole thing will come to nought.

Prior is nailed on at Leeds regardless 

3 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Prior is nailed on at Leeds regardless 

I'm surprised at that. I thought he could easily do another year at the Sharks. He was at a Sharks beano for sponsors last Friday to publicise the fact they'll be playing 11 games at Kogarah in 2020.   https://www.sharks.com.au/news/2019/11/22/sharks-in-a-kogarah-sneak-peak/

That would leave the Fish with just Woods, Fifita, Hamlin Uele and 2 guys from park footy who've never played NRL.

9 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Like a lot of the Antipodeans who come over here, Merrin was an integeral part of a system he played under and a good exponent of it to, he was one of the cogs that kept the machine going.

The role many of these Antipodeans have to play when they come to SL is 'foreign' to what they have played before and when they are a 'High Profile' signing so much more is expected of them, they are deemed to be the drive wheel in the engine when previously they have been in a supporting role, where every one takes to the field and knows the function they have to perform to. 

I have no doubt he will fall straight back into the system he has performed in for nearly all of his professional career, and will be at the top again. 

There are quite a few who could not perform to the level expected of them in our League the most notable I can remember is Mark 'Spud' Carroll an absolute donkey taken out of his environment performing for London Bronco's, but he goes back to Aus and plays Origin again.

I know DFTT and all that but for anyone else who believes this stuff, Merrin was excellent in his year at Leeds and will be a huge loss if it's true. 

12 hours ago, M j M said:

I know DFTT and all that but for anyone else who believes this stuff, Merrin was excellent in his year at Leeds and will be a huge loss if it's true. 

Suit yourself, if someone has an opinion different to yours you have the audacity to suggest they are trolling, that is rude and downright disrespectful.

I am not surprised at all that you say Merrin was excellent at Leeds, a player of his standing would really have to stoop very low not to stand out in the Leeds pack of last season, it is a simple perspective.

I have watched Trent Merrin for years at St George, Penrith, in Origin and in the Green and Gold uniform, he recieved those last two selections because his form warrented it in the role he played in the system that he was employed in, an entirely different system to how he had to perform at your club.

Your comments suggest you are completely unaware of Trents previous performances before he arrived at Headingley, I am saying that he is a far better player in the enviroment that he performed in for 10 years than the one we saw last season in SL, a situation in my opinion he is not alone amongst other high profile signings from the ARL/NRL to clubs over here.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Suit yourself, if someone has an opinion different to yours you have the audacity to suggest they are trolling, that is rude and downright disrespectful.

I am not surprised at all that you say Merrin was excellent at Leeds, a player of his standing would really have to stoop very low not to stand out in the Leeds pack of last season, it is a simple perspective.

I have watched Trent Merrin for years at St George, Penrith, in Origin and in the Green and Gold uniform, he recieved those last two selections because his form warrented it in the role he played in the system that he was employed in, an entirely different system to how he had to perform at your club.

Your comments suggest you are completely unaware of Trents previous performances before he arrived at Headingley, I am saying that he is a far better player in the enviroment that he performed in for 10 years than the one we saw last season in SL, a situation in my opinion he is not alone amongst other high profile signings from the ARL/NRL to clubs over here.

And I would agree with you Harold. If I were to make a comparison to the business world, in the NRL he was like an employee in a large corporation, where he did very well in his position but had great support networks who looked after all the other functions of the business. 

Coming to the Leeds team, he has joined a small company where everyone has to muck in and he has to lead on multiple fronts and in multiple different functions of the business. People from large corporations who are used to such environment often struggle moving to smaller organisations where they have to wear many hats and get their hands dirty without all the wider operational support they enjoyed previously. 

* I am not saying Leeds are a small company or Penrith/St George a large corporation. But the make up of their respective playing sides at present are the analogy 

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

And I would agree with you Harold. If I were to make a comparison to the business world, in the NRL he was like an employee in a large corporation, where he did very well in his position but had great support networks who looked after all the other functions of the business. 

Coming to the Leeds team, he has joined a small company where everyone has to muck in and he has to lead on multiple fronts and in multiple different functions of the business. People from large corporations who are used to such environment often struggle moving to smaller organisations where they have to wear many hats and get their hands dirty without all the wider operational support they enjoyed previously. 

* I am not saying Leeds are a small company or Penrith/St George a large corporation. But the make up of their respective playing sides at present are the analogy 

Very well put DD. 

Your comparrison emphasises exactly what I was relating to.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

But you're missing the point, Harry. All who follow the NRL know it's structures and how players are asked to play within it. It would've come as no shock to Merrin that wasn't going to be the case at Leeds and I think you pay him a disservice if you think it did. The point is he is Leeds' best forward and was by a mile last season, so what Antipodeans are used to doing in the NRL compared to what they're asked to do in SL is irrelevant in Merrin's case as he could take on the challenge. I'm not naive to players using the 'homesick' escape route when they're not happy and/or have NRL clubs sniffing around, but Merrin's reasons if/when he does leave will be genuine and that sits just fine with me. 

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Kind of works but you're omitting the part where when he interviewed for the job at the 'small company' they told him his role would be more senior than at his last place and as such would take on more responsibilities. Like I just said in response to Harry, none of this was news to Merrin when he joined - he knew wha he signed up for. 

4 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Kind of works but you're omitting the part where when he interviewed for the job at the 'small company' they told him his role would be more senior than at his last place and as such would take on more responsibilities. Like I just said in response to Harry, none of this was news to Merrin when he joined - he knew wha he signed up for. 

I’m not denying that, I think the point that Harry and I are making is that he is less effective in such a system. That’s not to say he wasn’t the best forward for Leeds last year (along with Dwyer)

12 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Indeed. Merrin was fantastic for leeds and we wont find a replacement of similar quality anywhere.

How anyone with any knowledge of RL at all could look at his performances and see anything other than a success is crazy

Anyone with any knowledge of Rugby League would readily understand that even an above average forward would stand out in what was a very weak Leeds pack last season, Merrin is far above the average forward category so it is no surprise he was Leeds best forward, and it is not beyond the imagination to suggest without him Leeds could be competing in the Championship this term.

Look back what I have said, not once have I criticised Mr Merrins abillity or said he played badly at Leeds, I said he was far more effective in the system he is more au fait with.

Is that Trolling as was suggested and you agreed with? 

23 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I’m not denying that, I think the point that Harry and I are making is that he is less effective in such a system. That’s not to say he wasn’t the best forward for Leeds last year (along with Dwyer)

That's fair enough and of course you, as is everyone, are entitled to that opinion. I disagree, I thought he was very effective. Maybe not when compared to the very specific role he did in the NRL but I guess this then comes down to how you measure it. 

Looks like this is all done and dusted now and just to be confirmed by the clubs. To be honest I think Trent has handled this really badly and gone down totally in my estimation, bearing in mind the interview below was less than a month ago.

He clearly wanted (and with fair reason) to stay in Australia, well IMO he should have stayed there not commit to the club and give it all the I'm 100% fully committed BS. The club have been totally fair with him and I feel he has shoved that back in their faces.

The club will spin it as Matt Prior is his replacement but that was on the cards whether Merrin was here or not.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/captain-trent-merrin-gives-his-leeds-rhinos-return-thumbs-828636

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Looks like this is all done and dusted now and just to be confirmed by the clubs. To be honest I think Trent has handled this really badly and gone down totally in my estimation, bearing in mind the interview below was less than a month ago.

He clearly wanted (and with fair reason) to stay in Australia, well IMO he should have stayed there not commit to the club and give it all the I'm 100% fully committed BS. The club have been totally fair with him and I feel he has shoved that back in their faces.

The club will spin it as Matt Prior is his replacement but that was on the cards whether Merrin was here or not.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/captain-trent-merrin-gives-his-leeds-rhinos-return-thumbs-828636

Perhaps in the uncertainty he'd forgotten Richard Agar had got the coaching job full time.

13 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I’m surprised anyone is even remotely surprised by the turn of events

I'm surprised that you are surprised that others are surprised by this turn of events  

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived