Trent Merrin on his way back to the NRL?

18 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

The Merrin situation has been handled badly by both him and the club.

Im interested in who they pick as captain now. Ward would be the obvious choice although injuries may count against him

Not sure what the club could do... except to insist he sticks to his contract and having to accept his unhappy partner situation. Meaning either his partner stayed in Australia whilst he stayed here or his partner accepting staying here but clearly in a difficult personal state of mind.

If a player says he is coming back they can't terminate his contract as they would be in breach of said contract.  If subsequently he asks to leave (again) then back to above paragraph.

What exactly should the club have done ?

The only thing I would say was to have been more communicative about the situation - I guess they would have needed Trent to agree to communicating the ins and outs of it

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I’m not surprised, more disappointed with how its unfolded, he should have just stayed up n Australia rather than ####### the club about

I doubt he did it deliberately, it’s just the way things manifest. He was always going to head back if the opportunity arose. I just hope we can sign a good replacement (Prior was going to sign regardless). 

Otherwise we look a bit light in 2nd row with no Ablett, JJB, Merrin, Ferres or Trout this year. Maybe Ferres will come back ?

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I doubt he did it deliberately, it’s just the way things manifest. He was always going to head back if the opportunity arose. I just hope we can sign a good replacement (Prior was going to sign regardless). 

Otherwise we look a bit light in 2nd row with no Ablett, JJB, Merrin, Ferres or Trout this year. Maybe Ferres will come back ?

they would be better off Graham Eccles coming back.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

25 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Then he shouldn’t have come back saying he was fully committed.

Anyway to be fair it’s better off him going now rather than midway through the season.

No real winners here in the sense that I do believe Merrin would’ve stayed had it not been for the awful events earlier this year and obviously leaves Leeds without arguably their best player almost a month into preseason. I do agree after there was no joy down under at the end of the season and he said he was committed he’s made himself and Leeds look a bit foolish when the reality was he absolutely was still open to a route back to Aus. 

Leeds need to replace him - as others have said Prior was coming regardless. Who to replace him with is the question?

Also, Luke Gale or Stevie Ward as captain. 

27 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

No real winners here in the sense that I do believe Merrin would’ve stayed had it not been for the awful events earlier this year and obviously leaves Leeds without arguably their best player almost a month into preseason. I do agree after there was no joy down under at the end of the season and he said he was committed he’s made himself and Leeds look a bit foolish when the reality was he absolutely was still open to a route back to Aus. 

Leeds need to replace him - as others have said Prior was coming regardless. Who to replace him with is the question?

Also, Luke Gale or Stevie Ward as captain. 

Gale or Ward would both be an improvement on Merrin as a captain.........if either of them stay fit

I don’t get the love for Merrin,  yeah sure he tried hard and his stats were solid but the only stat I care about is missed tackles.

he is just an average plodder and nowhere near marquee standard. 
I rate Matt Prior though, he’ll be better than Merrin I less money.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

13 minutes ago, Emosi Koloto said:

I don’t get the love for Merrin,  yeah sure he tried hard and his stats were solid but the only stat I care about is missed tackles.

he is just an average plodder and nowhere near marquee standard. 
I rate Matt Prior though, he’ll be better than Merrin I less money.

He actually often tried too hard last year and the consequence was that he gave away quite a number of penalties........mainly because Leeds we’re regularly losing the ruck

From the Aussie media so to be taken with a pinch of salt but...

“Trent could’ve jumped like a kangaroo all the way back to Australia he’s that excited to come back to the Dragons,” said the club’s director of rugby league pathways and list management Ian Millward.

“Trent has indicated to the club several times over the past 12 months that he’d love to come home;”

I don't think he ever wanted to come over here in the first place but had no other option as most doors were shut for him so he took the money and held his nose. Once he saw what a shambles he had landed himself self in I think the only suprise was that he saw out the season, it wasn't as if he didn't try to find a escape on his trip back mid season. All in all a waste of time and money on both sides that no-one comes out of with credit.

Let's face it, Leeds have never replaced JP, Kylie Leuluai and Kevin Sinfield. Ablett and JJB have had injuries and were aging,also Stevie Ward is rarely fit. They tried to fill the gap but haven't really done so. 

Trent Merrin was not the answer, we missed a trick in not signing George Burgess and should have broke the bank to buy Chris Hill from Warrington. 

Will Merrin be missed? No I don't think so.

5 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

I can think of better places to go on holiday.

Lol. There have been quite a few players from the NRL wanting to play in super League and let's say get paid for an holiday. I don't understand why Leeds are signing 32 year olds?????

10 hours ago, Rhinoferg said:

Lol. There have been quite a few players from the NRL wanting to play in super League and let's say get paid for an holiday. I don't understand why Leeds are signing 32 year olds?????

Because we lack experience and leadership 

2 minutes ago, Rhinoferg said:

Cuthbertson,Gale, Ward.... Is Lunt still at Leeds? We shouldn't be buying has been Aussies we should be having players who know the English game, Chris Hill and Joe Wardle would be ideal

Ward is often injured and Cuthbertson is on his last legs. Lunt is no longer at Leeds.

Chris Hill is the same age as Prior. Joe Wardle is not a prop. 

Prior played State of Origin last year, he’s hardly a has been

Archived