Who has recruited best for 2020?

Dunbar

So, who do we think has recruited the best for the 2020 season to date?  I think that the list below is pretty much up to date (from https://www.totalrl.com/club-by-club-guide-to-super-league-recruitment-for-2020/)

Clearly KR has the most volume while Saints have the most stability.

I would say that FC and Wigan look to have made the best quality recruits, Mahe Fonua, Josh Jones and Manu Ma’u could all be quality additions for FC while George Burgess and Jackson Hastings are good signings for Wigan I think, particularly Hastings who could be the one to take them to Old Trafford again this year.

CASTLEFORD TIGERS
George Griffin (Salford Red Devils)
Tyla Hepi (Toulouse Olympique)
Derrell Olpherts (Salford Red Devils)
Sosaia Feki (Cronulla Sharks)
Danny Richardson (St Helens)

CATALANS DRAGONS
Tom Davies (Wigan Warriors)
Josh Drinkwater (Hull Kingston Rovers)
James Maloney (Penrith Panthers)
Joel Tomkins (Hull Kingston Rovers)

HUDDERSFIELD GIANTS
Kenny Edwards (Catalans Dragons)
James Gavet (Newcastle Knights)
Ashton Golding (Leeds Rhinos)

Aidan Sezer (Canberra)

HULL FC
Joe Cator (Leigh Centurions)
Mahe Fonua (Wests Tigers)
Jordan Johnstone (Widnes Vikings)
Josh Jones (Salford Red Devils)
Manu Ma’u (Parramatta Eels)
Ligi Sao (New Zealand Warriors)
Adam Swift (St Helens)

HULL KINGSTON ROVERS
Jordan Abdull (London Broncos)
Ethan Ryan (Bradford Bulls)
Matty Gee (London Broncos)
Shaun Kenny-Dowall (Newcastle Knights)
Joe Keyes (Bradford Bulls)
Harvey Livett (Warrington Wolves – Loan)
Will Maher (Castleford Tigers)
Rowan Milnes (Bradford Bulls)
Elliot Minchella (Bradford Bulls)
Greg Minikin (Castleford Tigers)
Anesu Mudoti (Bradford Bulls)
Dan Murray (Salford Red Devils)
Matt Parcell (Leeds Rhinos)
Nick Rawsthorne (Toronto Wolfpack)
Matty Storton (Bradford Bulls)

LEEDS RHINOS
Alex Mellor (Huddersfield Giants)
Luke Gale (Castleford Tigers)

Matt Prior (Cronulla)

SALFORD RED DEVILS
Chris Atkin (Hull Kingston Rovers)
Kevin Brown (Warrington Wolves)
James Greenwood (Hull Kingston Rovers)
Sebastine Ikahihifo (Huddersfield Giants)
Elliot Kear (London Broncos)
Ryan Lannon (Hull Kingston Rovers)
Pauli Pauli (Wakefield Trinity)
Dan Sarginson (Wigan Warriors)
Connor Jones (Featherstone Rovers)
Jack Ormondroyd (Featherstone Rovers)
Rhys Williams (London Broncos)
Luke Yates (London Broncos)

ST HELENS

None

WAKEFIELD TRINITY

Ryan Atkins (Warrington Wolves)
Chris Green (Hull FC)
Jay Pitts (London Broncos)
Adam Tangata (Halifax – loan)
Alex Walker (London Broncos)
Joe Westerman (Hull FC)
Josh Wood (Salford Red Devils)

TORONTO WOLFPACK
Sonny Bill Williams (rugby union)

Brad Singleton (Leeds)

James Cunningham (London)

WARRINGTON WOLVES
Matty Ashton (Swinton Lions)
Keanan Brand (Widnes Vikings)
Anthony Gelling (Widnes Vikings)
Gareth Widdop (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Sammy Kibula (Wigan Warriors)

WIGAN WARRIORS
Jake Bibby (Salford Red Devils)
George Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Mitch Clark (Castleford Tigers)
Jackson Hastings (Salford Red Devils)

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

I don't know about best but Cas have recruited 2 of last season's leading error/penalty kings. 

But Catalan have solved all of their discipline problems by bringing in James Maloney and Joel Tomkins!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I think Cas have done well overall (depending on how Richardson goes) but as alluded to by Red Willow, if they play a certain ex Salford winger every week they will be closer to the relegation spots!

Hull probably top the list but are hamstrung by having a fair few inconsistent players and a coach who fails to impress these days. 

I'm not sold on Wigan despite some decent signings - it all depends how they play Hastings and who they partner him with.

25 minutes ago, Allora said:

James Maloney is the best buy of that bunch if he takes his NRL form to Super League.

I am sure he will add a lot to the way the Dragons attack and that will be a huge positive.

But he is the most penalised player in the NRL last year and also topped the missed tackle count.  This is not encouraging for a team that already struggles with discipline and defence.

If Maloney was going to a team with a solid work ethic and discipline I would say he was a great signing but at Catalans I fear he will compound their existing weaknesses.

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am sure he will add a lot to the way the Dragons attack and that will be a huge positive.

But he is the most penalised player in the NRL last year and also topped the missed tackle count.  This is not encouraging for a team that already struggles with discipline and defence.

If Maloney was going to a team with a solid work ethic and discipline I would say he was a great signing but at Catalans I fear he will compound their existing weaknesses.

I like Stats and they don't lie but they can depend on plenty of factors.

Jake Trbojevic is the second highest penalised player and that surprises me.

Victor Radley, Mitchell Moses and Josh Hodgson are all in the top five for missed tackles...

Plenty of teams run at the smaller players in attack which are often Halfbacks or Stand offs.

Lots of players that make plenty of tackles per game often have a higher rate of missed tackles..

I get your point about the Dragons, maybe Maloney will make a positive difference to that team?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

10 minutes ago, Allora said:

I like Stats and they don't lie but they can depend on plenty of factors.

Jake Trbojevic is the second highest penalised player and that surprises me.

Victor Radley, Mitchell Moses and Josh Hodgson are all in the top five for missed tackles...

Plenty of teams run at the smaller players in attack which are often Halfbacks or Stand offs.

Lots of players that make plenty of tackles per game often have a higher rate of missed tackles..

I get your point about the Dragons, maybe Maloney will make a positive difference to that team?

I hope he does.  I like the Dragons and a strong Catalan is great for Super League.

I hope Maloney is a star and a success.

I'd be surprised if Wigan don't make the grand final. Cas I think will fade this season and the same goes for Salford. Leeds have made some shrewd signings and there shouldnt be any danger of relegation tis season but also no real danger of winning anything but could give them a platform to build. Huddersfield and Hull KR will fight it out for the drop.

Looking forward to seeing how Maloney goes at Catalans but will be interested to see how the reunited Team Tompkins win hearts and minds in the bars and bistros of the Languedoc Rousillion......things can get lost in translation y'know!?

Bit of an ask but would you mind keeping the signings up to date in your initial post as they come in @Dunbar ? It's interesting to se them all next to each other ?

When I look at gains v losses I'd have to say Wigan and Leeds (assuming Merrin stays and Prior comes in) have done the best business so far. 

Not going to pretend I know a lot about them, but Hull KR signing what looks like half of Bradford coupled with bringing in some very average SL players would have me concerned. Toronto's signings are solid enough but definitely need at least 4 more to come or that squad looks very light. 

Not sure teams have finished their recruitments yet. Saints haven't signed anyone but Woolf has already said he's actively trying to recruit at least 1 of the current Tonga squad and Saints have left space under their cap by releasing Danny Richardson, Adam Swift and Luke Douglas, plus the addition of a 3rd marquee spot. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

7 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Not sure teams have finished their recruitments yet. Saints haven't signed anyone but Woolf has already said he's actively trying to recruit at least 1 of the current Tonga squad and Saints have left space under their cap by releasing Danny Richardson, Adam Swift and Luke Douglas, plus the addition of a 3rd marquee spot. 

Takeiakho or Taunalolo would be nice... ? 

6 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Bit of an ask but would you mind keeping the signings up to date in your initial post as they come in @Dunbar ? It's interesting to se them all next to each other ?

I may not be best placed to keep track but if people drop any new updates into the thread, I am happy to keep the first post edited and updated. 

Wigan will be most improved by their signings I feel, I might even make them favourites. Quality not quantity.

Cas have picked up a couple of decent signings too which should improve them.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

I am very happy with Hull's recruitment. 

We have an embarrassment of riches across the backline. Fonua, Faraimo, Naulago, Swift, Tuimavave, Connor and Griffin fighting it out for 4 spots. 

Sneyd is limited, but with a good platform he is probably the best in the league at what he does. Kelly is the X factor. He looks in great shape from the pictures I have seen and if he can stay injury free he is man of steel contender quality.

Taylor, Bowden, Satae, Matongo, Fash, Brown are the out and out props in the squad. Plus Ellis, Savelio and Sao who can play there to a good standard.

Ma'u and Jones are quality additions to the back row. I also like what I have seen of Sao. Savelio will be like a new signing and Griffin might get used more as a back rower this year also. So again, lots of good options.

The big question mark is the coaching. Put a quality coach in charge of that lot and I think we would be very good indeed. With Radford I think we will scrapping for the last couple of playoff spots. Maybe Purtill will have a positive impact.

Updated first post with Aiden Sezer's move to Huddersfield.

saints should start as they finished, no need to settle in new players or try out new combinations or gel a new line up, wigan should make the gf would worry for wakefield if they have the injuries hex again.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Salford are undeniably weaker without Hastings but arguably they have actually upgraded in most other positions, plus they still have the Watson factor, lets not forget they were comfortably the 2nd best team in the comp last season, they should and could be thereabouts again in 2020.

Archived