RL does what Sky says

The public's view of Rugby League

There has just been an obituary on the 6 O'Clock BBC News for broadcaster and writer Clive James during which the following comment was made ....

"Clive James could write about anything, from a commentary about Proust to an appreciation of Eddie Waring".

ie .. What was meant is that he could write about the sublime to the ridiculous ... once again another put down of Rugby League and to show that the game is still not regarded too seriously other than by those with a vested interest in it.

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Maybe it was meant as an illustration of CJ's breadth of interests. You might just be seeking offence.

• Like 23

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

what one of the 5* reviewer said about his book ‘Clive James on TV’...

If you were watching TV during the years covered by this book then I strongly suggest you buy a copy and enjoy Clive James' criticisms of the programmes. Written with humour and a real love of the medium they are the best of TV criticism. Then again, some might say they are the only books on TV criticism but I think that is not really true. Particularly amusing are the yearly articles written on the various sporting events (Wimbledon, World Snooker Final, Olympic Games etc) with particular reference to the strange way of speaking of the commentators. This brought back to me many memories of Frank Bough and Eddie Waring amongst others. Of course the standing joke, though maybe not appreciated by Clive James himself, is that his Australian accent has been butchering the English language on screen these 30 years and more! Just a warning, if youi are too young to remember the years covered I don't think you will understand much of what is going on!

3 minutes ago, Bluebags1973 said:

A renowned St. George Dragons fan. He even hosted the NRL Footy Show as a one-off in the absence of Fatty Vautin and Peter Sterling: https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/clive-james-replaces-fatty-20050623-gdlk9u.html

It's not as if Sterlo was young in 2005, anyway, sorry Sterlo for laughing during reading that article, i assume it was meant to be written in a funny sort of way.

Eddie Waring may be a figure of controversy for some in Rugby League, but outside the M62, Eddie's profile was boosted by TV shows such as It's a Knockout and Morecambe & Wise leading to impersonation by the likes of Mike Yarwood etc. In doing so he gained a greater profile for Rugby League, for good or Ill depending on your view, than anyone else has since.

For the benefit of you younglings, here's Eddie, Frank Bough, Richard Baker and some others I cannot place on the Morecambe and Wise Special in 1977.

spacer.pnged by

• Like 1

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

Over here people view Rugby League as Rugby period or (.), whatever suits your crank, ...most don't know the difference with Union...even Union people didn't really know or understand or follow League.

League is being taken very seriously indeed by Union in all of North America now, with the signing of Sonny Bill,....lots of exposure.

League is better to watch for the North American fan because it is faster than football and more exciting than soccer or baseball.....event type atmosphere is very important and critical.

League is better.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Eddie Waring may be a figure of controversy for some in Rugby League, but outside the M62, Eddie's profile was boosted by TV shows such as It's a Knockout and Morecambe & Wise leading to impersonation by the likes of Mike Yarwood etc. In doing so he gained a greater profile for Rugby League, for good or Ill depending on your view, than anyone else has since.

For the benefit of you younglings, here's Eddie, Frank Bough, Richard Baker and some others I cannot place on the Morecambe and Wise Special in 1977.

spacer.pnged by

Micheal Aspul , don't know , Barry Norman , Frank ,Eddie , Richard and another newsreader 

Richard Baker was no stranger to light entertainment - my dad booked him for a very enjoyable concert where he sang and recited poetry, accompanied by Raphael Terroni on piano. He pretty much did the same set as the video below - a small repertoire, but performed with charm and enthusiasm.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

59 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Micheal Aspul , don't know , Barry Norman , Frank ,Eddie , Richard and another newsreader 

Michael Aspel, Philip Jenkinson (Presented "Late Night Line Up" on the BBC in the 1970s), Barry Norman, Frank Bough, Eddie Waring, Richard Baker, Richard Whitmore.

I wonder how many non-RL followers could give the name of the current BBC RL commentator.

12 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Michael Aspel, Philip Jenkinson (Presented "Late Night Line Up" on the BBC in the 1970s), Barry Norman, Frank Bough, Eddie Waring, Richard Baker, Richard Whitmore.

I wonder how many non-RL followers could give the name of the current BBC RL commentator.

Dave Woods does plenty of other sports, so I'd say he was as well known a name and voice as most BBC commentators.

53 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Dave Woods does plenty of other sports, so I'd say he was as well known a name and voice as most BBC commentators.

But would people know he is the RL commentator ?  Maybe they would - I'm only asking.

I suspect that if non-RL followers were asked to name an RL commentator then many would still say Eddie Waring.  Hence when the comment was made about Clive James on the BBC News then people not involved with the sport would even now still know who Eddie Waring was and which sport he covered. 

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

To be fair, I wonder how many could name a current rugby league player?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Over here people view Rugby League as Rugby period or (.), whatever suits your crank, ...most don't know the difference with Union...even Union people didn't really know or understand or follow League.

League is being taken very seriously indeed by Union in all of North America now, with the signing of Sonny Bill,....lots of exposure.

League is better to watch for the North American fan because it is faster than football and more exciting than soccer or baseball.....event type atmosphere is very important and critical.

League is better.

When do you expect the game to overtake gridiron and baseball? Sounds like it could be weeks from now going by your sentiments. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DiH68 said:

To be fair, I wonder how many could name a current rugby league player?

Non-RL followers wouldn't be able to name any players let alone the commentator. Where I live, the most common question I get when I mention rugby league is "is that the one they play in the 6 Nations?". It used to be "is that the one Jonny Wilkinson plays?" Most people outside of the heartlands don't even know what RL is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

But would people know he is the RL commentator ?  Maybe they would - I'm only asking.

I suspect that if non-RL followers were asked to name an RL commentator then many would still say Eddie Waring.  Hence when the comment was made about Clive James on the BBC News then people not involved with the sport would even now still know who Eddie Waring was and which sport he covered. 

What, you mean the average guy won't know who Rugby League's main commentator is, that retired in 1981? Surprisingly, I don't know who Footballs commentary was back then either.

14 minutes ago, Click said:

What, you mean the average guy won't know who Rugby League's main commentator is, that retired in 1981? Surprisingly, I don't know who Footballs commentary was back then either.

No - read the words of my previous post that you highlighted.

15 minutes ago, Click said:

people not involved with the sport would even now still know who Eddie Waring was and which sport he covered. 

I actually said "... WOULD even now know ..." not WOULDN'T know.

I doubt  very much whether anyone under the age of 45 would know or care who Eddie Waring was. He's been dead 33 years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr Wind Up said:

When do you expect the game to overtake gridiron and baseball? Sounds like it could be weeks from now going by your sentiments. 

Well this is the magical thing that the old dyed in the wool M 62 ers just don't get....if everything goes well this spring the answer is that RL could well overtake gridiron in Toronto AND be considered on the same footing as the other major sports...a huge advancement!

This is what the Naysayrs simply fail to comprehend....sad but true...the Naysayers are slow but we are patient.

Edited by Kayakman
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1