RL does what Sky says

The public's view of Rugby League

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's just another thing for RL fans to be self-loathing about. 

If an individual wants to call something TGG then they can, it is subjective and isn't anything that causes offence other than from people who obviously dislike the sport in the first place.

The sport doesn't use TGG as any kind of strap-line at all.

I doubt anyone who likes football is going to be put off rugby league because some RL fans happily call their game TGG.

They might be a tad more annoyed by the free pass given to people who call soccer 'wendyball' and the like, mind.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Click said:

I would also add in most people that have a "main" sport tend to patronise others when they see them, as they don't enjoy them as much.It isn't an unusual thing to see. Football fans don't need to worry, as they haven't got the competition from other sports, they just attack eachother instead.

I think that’s bang on. And it’s everyone as everyone has a main sport. The only typical crossover is summer and winter sports, like the football codes and cricket.

Even this new age fan that follows 5-10 different sports is a unique species, as the average punter on the street is very parochial and traditional in what they follow.

Where it’s annoying is when people go out of their way to troll. It’s one thing to bash sports among fellow fans on your platforms, but doing what some RU fans do by derailing BBC articles as an example is pathetic.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

I think that’s bang on. And it’s everyone as everyone has a main sport. The only typical crossover is summer and winter sports, like the football codes and cricket.

Even this new age fan that follows 5-10 different sports is a unique species, as the average punter on the street is very parochial and traditional in what they follow.

Where it’s annoying is when people go out of their way to troll. It’s one thing to bash sports among fellow fans on your platforms, but doing what some RU fans do by derailing BBC articles as an example is pathetic.

Why the BBC bother opening comments on articles is beyond my comprehension. 

On 28/11/2019 at 00:58, Kayakman said:

Over here people view Rugby League as Rugby period or (.), whatever suits your crank, ...most don't know the difference with Union...even Union people didn't really know or understand or follow League.

League is being taken very seriously indeed by Union in all of North America now, with the signing of Sonny Bill,....lots of exposure.

League is better to watch for the North American fan because it is faster than football and more exciting than soccer or baseball.....event type atmosphere is very important and critical.

League is better.

So hows the Ontario Rugby league doing then?

8 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

So hows the Ontario Rugby league doing then?

Good...its like a seed of the giant oak...start small then get bigger and stronger....bigger and stronger.  Big plans....big plans.

15 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Good...its like a seed of the giant oak...start small then get bigger and stronger....bigger and stronger.  Big plans....big plans.

Are they still only two teams?

8 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Why the BBC bother opening comments on articles is beyond my comprehension. 

Fans should be allowed to talk about the game without having to think about trolls. The real question is why do RU fans go out of their way to do this. Most of us know the answer. Fear.

14 hours ago, Themusician_2 said:

Are they still only two teams?

What are you talking about?

On 29/11/2019 at 12:33, HawkMan said:

Truth is many RL fans are insular and parochial, the game generally doesn't open itself up to the masses. Some , can't talk about other sports without being patronising,and calling itself TGG doesn't help matters. The public at large have no views on RL , those that do are either fans or have a view of it as " that Northern game " whose fault is that ? There is no generic views on RL that the public hold , as they do with Brexit, Corrie or cheeseburgers or whatever. However on forums for other sports you often get good knowledge and respect for RL in surprising places, see link.

http://www.footballforums.net/threads/rugby-league.267234/

Rugby League calling itself TGG = patronising.

Other sports calling themselves The Beautiful Game, or The Game They Play In heaven, or The Sport of Kings = perfectly fine, apparently.

• Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Rugby League calling itself TGG = patronising.

Other sports calling themselves The Beautiful Game, or The Game They Play In heaven, or The Sport of Kings = perfectly fine, apparently.

Calling itself the beautiful game is not the same as the MOST beautiful game. TGG implies other games are rubbish. I remember the RL correspondent on The Times, Chris Irvine saying that when Mike Stephenson used TGG phrase on Sky Sports News he felt like cringing. It immediately put people off RL. A bit of humility is no bad thing. Also RL fans seem overly concerned with Union, it's taboo or a subject of ridicule. I can't stand it myself but again humility towards it might be better.

Union fans can chat about league with respect. Check this out, pages of RL on a Union forum.

https://www.therugbyforum.com/forums/super-league-northern-hemisphere.57/

Edited by HawkMan

36 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Calling itself the beautiful game is not the same as the MOST beautiful game. TGG implies other games are rubbish. 

That logic makes absolutely no sense at all.  Saying something is the greatest doesn't imply all over games are rubbish.  Something can be good or even great but something else may be even greater.

However calling something the beautiful game actually does imply the singular which means all the other games are not beautiful... it would be better if they did say the 'most' beautiful game then at least other games can be described as beautiful as well. It is the football descriptor which is the arrogant one.  As for 'the game played in heaven', well that's just daft.

36 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I can't stand it myself but again humility towards it might be better.

Union fans can chat about league with respect. Check this out, pages of RL on a Union forum.

https://www.therugbyforum.com/forums/super-league-northern-hemisphere.57/

Why are you going to Union forums if you can't stand the game?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Fans should be allowed to talk about the game without having to think about trolls. The real question is why do RU fans go out of their way to do this. Most of us know the answer. Fear.

In defence of RU fans, it is only a minority who endlessly troll RL sites. I imagine most either have a grudging respect or are pretty much unaware of the ins and outs of RL. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

That logic makes absolutely no sense at all.  Saying something is the greatest doesn't imply all over games are rubbish.  Something can be good or even great but something else may be even greater.

However calling something the beautiful game actually does imply the singular which means all the other games are not beautiful... it would be better if they did say the 'most' beautiful game then at least other games can be described as beautiful as well. It is the football descriptor which is the arrogant one.  As for 'the game played in heaven', well that's just daft.

Why are you going to Union forums if you can't stand the game?

If I called my wife the most beautiful woman I'd be implying that others are not as beautiful, a lesser beauty, however calling her the beautiful woman doesn't imply anything about any other women, football calls itself the beautiful game, what that means about the beauty of anything else is not implicit.

Yeah, I admit calling itself TGG doesn't imply others are rubbish, but does imply that others are of lesser quality. Anyway the whole beauty,greatness thing is subjective.

I don't usually check RU forums, I just wanted to test a theory that such a forum.had RL pages.

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

In defence of RU fans, it is only a minority who endlessly troll RL sites. I imagine most either have a grudging respect or are pretty much unaware of the ins and outs of RL. 

Whether it’s one person or 100 isnt the point. I dont see any RU fans trolling football articles. Many of them hate football even more than RL. Wonder why they dont show up? No need to respond, I already know the answer.

4 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

If I called my wife the most beautiful woman I'd be implying that others are not as beautiful, a lesser beauty, however calling her the beautiful woman doesn't imply anything about any other women, football calls itself the beautiful game, what that means about the beauty of anything else is not implicit.

Yeah, I admit calling itself TGG doesn't imply others are rubbish, but does imply that others are of lesser quality. Anyway the whole beauty,greatness thing is subjective.

I don't usually check RU forums, I just wanted to test a theory that such a forum.had RL pages.

The beautiful game came about cos it was popularised by one of the game’s greats, Pele, in his book. 

For the people who follow the sport, it probably doesnt sound arrogant when it’s used. To those that dont, there’s nothing beautiful about it.

Same with TGG. It’s used affectionately by fans of the game. If people get upset by it, they werent planning on watching RL in the first place.

19 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Whether it’s one person or 100 isnt the point. I dont see any RU fans trolling football articles. Many of them hate football even more than RL. Wonder why they dont show up? No need to respond, I already know the answer.

Yes....they definitely do, I’ve seen them. 
Ultimately, who gives a toss? They are wasting their time and boosting the traffic to RL articles. Result I say. 

47 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

The Ontario rugby league

What is your point?

17 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

What is your point?

You're feeding the troll Kman. That is his point... wee tiny little thing that it is

It's too cold to hide under bridges this time of year so they all come in here to hang out.

I went to an event (non-sporting) earlier today where most people were not RL followers. However, I was in conversation with some of them and in a subtle way mentioned RL to try and find out what they knew about it.  The only players any of them could mention were Martin Offiah and "Harry Handley" while none of them knew that Toronto or even Catalan had a team in the league.

However, the same group knew at least some of the current England Rugby Union team (Yes, maybe because of the recent RU World Cup).

OK not a ideal opinion poll but maybe it gives an idea of how much knowledge or interest the general non-RL public have of the game.

2 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I went to an event (non-sporting) earlier today where most people were not RL followers. However, I was in conversation with some of them and in a subtle way mentioned RL to try and find out what they knew about it.  The only players any of them could mention were Martin Offiah and "Harry Handley" while none of them knew that Toronto or even Catalan had a team in the league.

However, the same group knew at least some of the current England Rugby Union team (Yes, maybe because of the recent RU World Cup).

OK not a ideal opinion poll but maybe it gives an idea of how much knowledge or interest the general non-RL public have of the game.

Exactly.  Outside the traditional heartlands the majority know nothing about the game and going by what other posters have reported most of the remainder have a negative view of it.  The game's proverbial 64,000$ question is how to overcome that obstacle to its growth and sustainability.

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Exactly.  Outside the traditional heartlands the majority know nothing about the game and going by what other posters have reported most of the remainder have a negative view of it.  The game's proverbial 64,000$ question is how to overcome that obstacle to its growth and sustainability.

More internationals. End of. Nothing else is going to cut through.

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

You're feeding the troll Kman. That is his point... wee tiny little thing that it is

Now let him speak for himself Tiwit....let him speak up and make his point.

2 hours ago, Themusician_2 said:

The Ontario rugby league

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

What is your point?

Time to face the music...get to the point for the love of Mike...these musical types sometimes need it spelled out for them so:  "Whaaaatttt   aaarreeeee youuu tttrryyijng to ssaayyyy?   Isss tthhhaattt sloowwww eeennnouggghhhh foorrrr yyoouuu?" 

GET TO THE POINT MAN!!!!!