Plant based diet

My friend had a very serious health scare a few months ago and has decided to go on a 100% plant based diet.

I think he’s still terrified of the health matter returning and has gone all in to improve his health. 

He’s from a family and community that absolutely loves meat and isn’t getting much support.

So I’ve joined him in the diet to offer some support. 

I’ve done a heap of research about nutritional requirements and have some B12 supplements etc.

I think that because I’m being very cautious I’m actually eating better than when I was eating meat.

I’m a few weeks in. 

I love my leather shoes so I’m not vegan... it’s just the diet.

Has anyone else on here lived on a plant based diet? How did it go?

3 minutes ago, Shadow45 said:

Been a vegetarian for the past 20 years. It's no biggie and fairly straightforward once you get into it 

That’s still dairy and eggs isn’t it?

I’ve gone all in... no eggs or dairy. Have you spent periods without any eggs or dairy?

55 minutes ago, Copa said:

That’s still dairy and eggs isn’t it?

I’ve gone all in... no eggs or dairy. Have you spent periods without any eggs or dairy?

You've gone vegan then and have my admiration. I still eat dairy occasionally, probably a couple of times a month. 

6 hours ago, Copa said:

My friend had a very serious health scare a few months ago and has decided to go on a 100% plant based diet.

I think he’s still terrified of the health matter returning and has gone all in to improve his health. 

He’s from a family and community that absolutely loves meat and isn’t getting much support.

So I’ve joined him in the diet to offer some support. 

I’ve done a heap of research about nutritional requirements and have some B12 supplements etc.

I think that because I’m being very cautious I’m actually eating better than when I was eating meat.

I’m a few weeks in. 

I love my leather shoes so I’m not vegan... it’s just the diet.

Has anyone else on here lived on a plant based diet? How did it go?

Balanced diet , keep active both mind and body . 

7 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

If he is going all in to improve his health, the solution isn't a vegan diet. The solution is a balanced diet including lots of fruit and vegetables. 

It does look a bit like the health scare possibly made him over-react. 

A vegetarian or reduced-meat diet, as long as it is ruled by medical sense, rather than some celebrity's bankable neuroses, is fine. Vegetarian cooking for everyday meals has come a long way - Yotam Ottolenghi seems to be approaching sainthood, just because his (mostly vegetarian) recipes are interesting, they work and they taste nice.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

It does look a bit like the health scare possibly made him over-react. 

That’s it.

I’m joining in to offer support and it also means he’ll listen if I offer tips and hints for what’s working for me.

Can’t have him going off eating just chips every night.

6 hours ago, Shadow45 said:

You've gone vegan then and have my admiration. I still eat dairy occasionally, probably a couple of times a month. 

A vegan diet, yes. 

I am still, however, on the hunt for some nice Solovair shoes.

Anyway, I’ll see how long he wants to do this and also how I feel after a month or so.

I went Vegan some time back (not sure exactly when but maybe around 20 months back) and it's done wonders for me. 

I'm 52 and I haven't felt physically or mentally as good as I do now since I was in my 20's.

Works for me.

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

Many of the top Ultra runners have gone vegan, mainly due to the negative impact meat (mainly red) has on the digestive system when trying to compete/exercise for maybe 24 hours plus. Plant based food has less of an impact

34 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Many of the top Ultra runners have gone vegan, mainly due to the negative impact meat (mainly red) has on the digestive system when trying to compete/exercise for maybe 24 hours plus. Plant based food has less of an impact

So, in a few years, they'll end up with knackered joints, but a wonderfully healthy set of intestines.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

So, in a few years, they'll end up with knackered joints, but a wonderfully healthy set of intestines.

Not to mention farts that could incapacitate a regiment. :kolobok_wink:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 hours ago, JohnM said:

...nd emitting more hot exhaust gasses than the animals they want to save. 

To these people I say "You want to be a vegetarian? Fine. You are free to become one. Just don't make it compulsory." 

You ok hun?

Each to their own as far as I'm concerned 

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

What happened to vegetarianism? It seems to have gone to only labelling things vegan now? 
If people were serious about reducing meat consumption, they’d be pushing vegetarianism rather than the pretty extreme option of veganism. 

Exclusion diets are all the rage these days, and you know how competitive people are. Add in the toxic ingredient of airbrushed celebs and wealthy Instagram faces (who can afford personal trainers, beauty treatment, private healthcare etc.) pushing a monetised version of their own fads (Gwyneth Paltrow's deranged 'Goop' cash-cow or "Deliciously" Ella Woodward's wellness regime or many others). You end up with an unhealthy approach to food that thinks it is being healthy while promoting malnutrition and self-loathing.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 hours ago, JohnM said:

They need to remember that it's not their place to impose their views on others, though. 

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/apr/11/they-want-us-to-shut-down-farmers-hit-back-after-invasive-vegan-protests

Interestingly, since I’ve started this in support of my friend, I’ve had people I’ve worked with tell me they have the same diet. All this time they never proselytised once.

I’ve also had other people tell me I have to eat meat and I’m crazy to not eat meat. They are the ones telling me what to do.

The vast majority of people are just indifferent to it.

Anyway, my mate is feeling good, likes having a “vegan mate” as support and all is well so far. I’ve also lost 2kg in a few weeks while eating a heap of food. I still lift the same weights in the gym though.

19 hours ago, Copa said:

Interestingly, since I’ve started this in support of my friend, I’ve had people I’ve worked with tell me they have the same diet. All this time they never proselytised once.

I’ve also had other people tell me I have to eat meat and I’m crazy to not eat meat. They are the ones telling me what to do.

The vast majority of people are just indifferent to it.

Anyway, my mate is feeling good, likes having a “vegan mate” as support and all is well so far. I’ve also lost 2kg in a few weeks while eating a heap of food. I still lift the same weights in the gym though.

There is a certain type of man whose only claim to masculinity is liking steak. They go on a bit too. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

44 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I’ve read (but not in depth so not saying it’s true) that if we switched to mass plant production to feed the masses, this would have a severe effect on the land too. Basically all the extra roots and stuff would take too much moisture from the land. Or some such scientific gubbins. 

I am skeptical.

Much depends on where. Much of this is from the USA, where huge amounts of energy is used to make lots of fertilizer, some of which boosts maize production, which is fed a cows and the final output is a very small amount of meat and a large amount of dairy that the Government buys.

Clearly, growing veg for humans rather than cows would be far more efficient.

That said, if you are feeding the animal on a pasture, there is less waste. If the animal is on a rocky hillside, then it would not be suitable arable land anyway.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived