Aidan Sezer to Huddersfield

Copa

4 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

It seems that Canterbury were the only club that made serious attempts to sign him, but if the word is to be believed what they were offering was going to be a massive pay cut.

Yeah I think GC interest was before they managed to nail down Brimson. Huddersfield have been pursuing this for a long time. 

Though he was a very solid player, with moments of brilliance, he never quite lived up to his full potential at the Raiders, but when he was at the Titans he more or less single-handedly dragged a team that should have won the spoon each year off the bottom of the table.

If he can reach his full potential at Huddersfield he'll be a huge signing, but either way he's a great signing and I wish him all the best.

7 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Yeah I think GC interest was before they managed to nail down Brimson. Huddersfield have been pursuing this for a long time. 

I think Germ's connection to the Raiders probably helped with getting Sezer on board as well to be honest. 

Once they heard that Huddersfield had offered a contract there would've been more than a few blokes around the club suggesting that hooking up with Woolford would be a good idea, and the clubs have got the whole joint academy thing that they are doing now as well, so I reckon there would have been quite a few people in his ear suggesting that Huddersfield would be a good place for him to go.

the story of a man who went from gold coast to fartown - lets hope the backroom staff at the giants are stocking up on homesickness remedies for personal reasons.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I think this is a very good signing for Huddersfield.  While Jack Wighton got all the plaudits for Canberra in the halves last year for his attacking threat, Sezer's stability and tactical kicking was very much underrated and helped to turn them from a team that lost the majority of the tight games in 2018 to one that got over the line more often than not last season.

I can't help but think that for Canberra George Williams and Wighton will struggle to provide the game management they need to get back to the Grand Final.  If Ricky Stuart is capable of turning Williams into a game management half however, with his other attributes that would be very good news for England.

All in all, I think Huddersfield have done very well out this piece of player musical chairs.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

16 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I think this is a very good signing for Huddersfield.  While Jack Wighton got all the plaudits for Canberra in the halves last year for his attacking threat, Sezer's stability and tactical kicking was very much underrated and helped to turn them from a team that lost the majority of the tight games in 2018 to one that got over the line more often than not last season.

I can't help but think that for Canberra George Williams and Wighton will struggle to provide the game management they need to get back to the Grand Final.  If Ricky Stuart is capable of turning Williams into a game management half however, with his other attributes that would be very good news for England.

All in all, I think Huddersfield have done very well out this piece of player musical chairs.

Fartown certainly need a bit more at half back than they had last season, including a reliable & varied kicking game. 

The giants need a good organiser at 7, Ollie Russel is too young to play that role yet, Frawley just hasnt had the kicking game needed.

Sezer has 150+ NRL games and guided the Raiders to a grand final, and a lot of the time the half getting the plaudits isnt the important one (Giants 2013, Brough got MoS, but Robbo was the player took the team to the top of the table for example)

This is a final piece in a jigsaw, the most important piece being back office recruitment, but it is a very key piece.

Plus, Sezer is an 83% goal kicker, very important for a team that lost 12 league points by one score last season...with a good goal kicker, the giants would be top 4 last season.

On 28/11/2019 at 10:38, DoubleD said:

Why do you say that? Sezer is to replace the hugely underwhelming Frawley. 

With Leeming gone, I imagine the Giants still have cap space for Gigot. But not at full back, because they signed Golding for that. I think he would work well with Sezer in the halves but I doubt they’d go for him when they have Gaskell, Holmes and Russell 

Frawley could be lined up as a 2nd hooker to replace Leeming.

Gaskell and Sezer will be the halves, Golding full back, McIntosh into the centres probably.

On 28/11/2019 at 12:00, MattSantos said:

I reckon that’s fair. Pushed them around a fair bit but obviously second fiddle to Hodgson and Wighton.

Who is 6 and 9 at Huddersfield? What styles are they?

Gaskell 6, main strengths are his running,game, loves to take the line on,  has a good passing game, good kicking game and is pretty solid in defence.

O'Brien 9, good worker, quick out of the ruck, quick off the mark, good defender, not all that creative, but can score close to the line.

19 hours ago, Ant said:

The giants need a good organiser at 7, Ollie Russel is too young to play that role yet, Frawley just hasnt had the kicking game needed.

Sezer has 150+ NRL games and guided the Raiders to a grand final, and a lot of the time the half getting the plaudits isnt the important one (Giants 2013, Brough got MoS, but Robbo was the player took the team to the top of the table for example)

This is a final piece in a jigsaw, the most important piece being back office recruitment, but it is a very key piece.

Plus, Sezer is an 83% goal kicker, very important for a team that lost 12 league points by one score last season...with a good goal kicker, the giants would be top 4 last season.

I'm very pleased we have got Sezer , whether our pack can give him or Gaskill half a chance i don't know but they should be quite an improvement on the last few seasons, also i would say he is not the last piece in the jigsaw either, there is an equally big piece missing at L forward , Now if we were to move Turner to LF and manage to get Gigot in the centre i would consider the jigsaw complete, That's not asking a lot is it.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

On 01/12/2019 at 10:29, meast said:

Frawley could be lined up as a 2nd hooker to replace Leeming.

Gaskell and Sezer will be the halves, Golding full back, McIntosh into the centres probably.

Do you think Frawley will be up to the hooker's tackling machine role Martin? 

Any news on whether Leroy is likely to be fit to play come February?

On 04/12/2019 at 16:48, longboard said:

Do you think Frawley will be up to the hooker's tackling machine role Martin? 

Any news on whether Leroy is likely to be fit to play come February?

On Frawley, yes, but guess we won't find out now!

Leroy is training but had lots of problems with rehabilitation, i hope we see him again, i fear for him if not.

1 hour ago, meast said:

On Frawley, yes, but guess we won't find out now!

Leroy is training but had lots of problems with rehabilitation, i hope we see him again, i fear for him if not.

If he isnt ready to play by season start, he wont play again I suspect. 

Which will be a massive shame for a very very good player

Archived