First Choice 17s

MZH

The first pre season games of the year are about a month away. Most sides have finished their recruitment for the season.

Injuries permitting, how to you expect your club to line up for round 1?

I will have a stab at Hull, but there are a lot of variables and it may turn out to be miles away, but here goes.

1. Jamie Shaul

2. Mahe Fonua

3. Jake Connor

4. Carlos Tuimavave

5. Ratu Naulago

6. Albert Kelly

7. Marc Sneyd

8. Scott Taylor

9. Danny Houghton

10. Josh Bowden

11. Manu Ma'u

12. Josh Jones

13. Ligi Sao

14. Chris Satae

15. Masi Matongo

16. Josh Griffin

17. Gareth Ellis

I'm assuming Merrin is gone but I think its something like this.

1. Jack Walker

2. Luke Briscoe

3. Konrad Hurrell

4. Harry Newman

5. Ash Handley

6. Robert Lui

7. Luke Gale

8. Ava Seumanufagai

9. Kruise Leeming

10. Matt Prior

11. Rhyse Martin

12. Alex Mellor

13. Stevie Ward

14. Brad Dwyer

15. Adam Cuthbertson

16. Mikeli Oledski

17. Liam Sutcliffe

That is far far better than what we started with last year. I have swapped Hurrell and Newman around from their positions last season as I suspect this is what Agar will do as Hurrell's preferred position is Right Centre and Newman's is Left Centre.

5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

1. Jack Walker

2. Luke Briscoe

3. Konrad Hurrell

4. Harry Newman

5. Ash Handley

6. Robert Lui

7. Luke Gale

8. Ava Seumanufagai

9. Kruise Leeming

10. Matt Prior

11. Rhyse Martin

12. Alex Mellor

13. Stevie Ward

14. Brad Dwyer

15. Adam Cuthbertson

16. Mikeli Oledski

17. Liam Sutcliffe

That is far far better than what we started with last year. I have swapped Hurrell and Newman around from their positions last season as I suspect this is what Agar will do as Hurrell's preferred position is Right Centre and Newman's is Left Centre.

Leeds starting to have some genuine depth to the squad when you consider players like T Briscoe, Crosby, C Smith, Myler and Donaldson aren't in that 17. If Merrin did stay I'd say Leeds have an outside chance of going all the way. Stevie Ward to be captain if he does go btw. 

5 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Leeds starting to have some genuine depth to the squad when you consider players like T Briscoe, Crosby, C Smith, Myler and Donaldson aren't in that 17. If Merrin did stay I'd say Leeds have an outside chance of going all the way. Stevie Ward to be captain if he does go btw. 

It does look a much better and more balanced side than last year. I like the signing of Leeming. I think he will do really well.

That said the backline doesn't fill me with fear (Hurrell aside), and there has to be a question mark alongside Gale. Can he return to his previous standard after the injury?

There is also the Agar factor. Possibly the one coach I trust less than Radford to get the best out of his players.

I do think it's a decent side on the whole though. But probably one of those sides scrapping for a playoff spot rather than genuine contenders.

Going to have a go at Wigan's 17 as they interest me with their recruitment:

1 - Hardaker

2 - Manfredi

3 - Bibby

4 - Gildart

5 - Burgess

6 - French

7 - Hastings 

8 - Flower

9 - Powell 

10 - G Burgess 

11 - Greenwood

12 - Farrell

13 - Smithies 

14 - Leuluai

15 - Clark

16 - Bullock

17 - O'Loughlin 

Escare, Isa, Clubb, Partington, Shorrocks, Hankinson all very capable to come into that side. 

8 hours ago, MZH said:

The first pre season games of the year are about a month away. Most sides have finished their recruitment for the season.

I will have a stab at Hull, but there are a lot of variables and it may turn out to be miles away, but here goes.

1. Jamie Shaul

2. Mahe Fonua

3. Jake Connor

4. Carlos Tuimavave

5. Ratu Naulago

6. Albert Kelly

7. Marc Sneyd

8. Scott Taylor

9. Danny Houghton

10. Josh Bowden

11. Manu Ma'u

12. Josh Jones

13. Ligi Sao

14. Chris Satae

15. Masi Matongo

16. Josh Griffin

17. Gareth Ellis

Tasty looking side that, especially the pack. 

22 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

1. Jack Walker

2. Luke Briscoe

3. Konrad Hurrell

4. Harry Newman

5. Ash Handley

6. Robert Lui

7. Luke Gale

8. Ava Seumanufagai

9. Kruise Leeming

10. Matt Prior

11. Rhyse Martin

12. Alex Mellor

13. Stevie Ward

14. Brad Dwyer

15. Adam Cuthbertson

16. Mikeli Oledski

17. Liam Sutcliffe

Will Stevie Ward be fit lol 

Has Prior officially signed?

22 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

1. Jack Walker

2. Luke Briscoe

3. Konrad Hurrell

4. Harry Newman

5. Ash Handley

6. Robert Lui

7. Luke Gale

8. Ava Seumanufagai

9. Kruise Leeming

10. Matt Prior

11. Rhyse Martin

12. Alex Mellor

13. Stevie Ward

14. Brad Dwyer

15. Adam Cuthbertson

16. Mikeli Oledski

17. Liam Sutcliffe

Is Myler not a better option alongside Gale? 

Let's Gale do the fancy stuff and Myler is always good for a try.

32 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Is Myler not a better option alongside Gale? 

Let's Gale do the fancy stuff and Myler is always good for a try.

Myler is a better option in the Reserves ?

Actually I'm only joking Myler has got a lot of stick from the Leeds fans but he was signed to perform a role he was never capable of, he looked a lot better when we signed Lui and I think it's good we have a bit of competition for the half back places with Mclelland also pushing for a place.

Like the looks of that Hull and Wigan side. I'm not as convinced by Leeds and think it would be a great season for them to challenge for the top 5.

I reckon Saints will look like

1. Coote
2. Makinson
3. Naiqama
4. Percival
5. Grace
6. Lomax
7. Fages
8. Walmsley
9. Roby
10. Thompson
11. Taia
12. Peyroux
13. Knowles

14. McCarthy-Scarsbook
15. Lees
16. Amor
17. A Smith

I think you will see more Aaron Smith this year with Roby winding down. I don't think Lees will make the start of the year after that awful injury so Ashworth will come in for him to begin with at least. Maybe towards the end of the year, Taia will be phased out for Bentley.

Barring injuries, I can't see that Paulo will get many opportunities. Hopefully we see a bit of Welsby again next year and a couple of run outs for Lewis Dodd, a young half back who is very highly rated (hence our decision to sell Richardson).

Salford possibly:

1. Evalds

2. Left wing up for grabs - Inu or Williams

3. Sarge

4. Up for grabs - Welham, Kear or Inu 

5. Sio

6. Lolohea

7. Brown (Atkin may take over at some point)

8. Mossop

9. Lussick (can see him doing 80 minutes until Jones is ready)

10. Dudson

11. Seb 

12. McCarthy

13. Yates

14. Flash

15. Walker

16. Pauli 

17. Atkin

Backline could change a lot and I'm not sure what the plans are for the 2nd row. It's good that we have some real competition for places this year though as the team was nailed on for most of last year. I expect Greenwood and Chamberlain to force their way into the team when fit (could be by the season's start).

3 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Like the looks of that Hull and Wigan side. I'm not as convinced by Leeds and think it would be a great season for them to challenge for the top 5.

I reckon Saints will look like

1. Coote
2. Makinson
3. Naiqama
4. Percival
5. Grace
6. Lomax
7. Fages
8. Walmsley
9. Roby
10. Thompson
11. Taia
12. Peyroux
13. Knowles

14. McCarthy-Scarsbook
15. Lees
16. Amor
17. A Smith

I think you will see more Aaron Smith this year with Roby winding down. I don't think Lees will make the start of the year after that awful injury so Ashworth will come in for him to begin with at least. Maybe towards the end of the year, Taia will be phased out for Bentley.

Barring injuries, I can't see that Paulo will get many opportunities. Hopefully we see a bit of Welsby again next year and a couple of run outs for Lewis Dodd, a young half back who is very highly rated (hence our decision to sell Richardson).

No real change for Saints.  Another double quite possible.

On 28/11/2019 at 13:40, MZH said:

1. Jamie Shaul

2. Mahe Fonua

3. Jake Connor

4. Carlos Tuimavave

5. Ratu Naulago

6. Albert Kelly

7. Marc Sneyd

8. Scott Taylor

9. Danny Houghton

10. Josh Bowden

11. Manu Ma'u

12. Josh Jones

13. Ligi Sao

14. Chris Satae

15. Masi Matongo

16. Josh Griffin

17. Gareth Ellis

I don’t think Ellis will start the season but totally agree with the permutations.  Difficult.

Swift and Fairamo to consider plus i’m certain we’ll see Johnstone on the bench regularly.

Looking at these lists, St Helens still have to be favourites but their challengers are looking better (aside from Salford who are a little weaker). Its shaping up as a very good competition.

Hull, Wigan, Warrington and Leeds have all made good signings which strengthen their claims. After what is a strong top 5, Catalans have it in them to challenge with Maloney joining, Toronto could beat anyone on their day, Wakefield and Huddersfield have both improved their squads, Salford should still be hard to beat, and Castleford are probably only one or two good signings away from challenging at the top. I think they should chase someone like Morgan Escare... 

1. Jack Logan

2. Tom Halliday

3. Jason Tali

4. Sam Smeaton

5. Sam Doherty

6. Rangi Chase

7. Matty Beharrell

8. Russ Spiers

9. Keiran Cross

10. Ryan Boyle

11. Brad England

12. Brad Foster

13. Jordie Hedges

14. Watson Boas

15. Brandon Wilkinson

16. Ross Peltier

17. Brandon Douglas

17 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I suppose the counter argument to that is there is a lot of change for other clubs so they may not have it so easy next season.

Sure.  But I think it would be fair to assume not all will be able to gel immediately.  Saints dont have that problem and they will definately be the team to beat.

I think there are a few question marks over what Wigan's starting line up will be for the opening game. A lot will depend on Lam's ideas for the shape of the team and how players perform in pre-season.

Gildart won't be fit so we might start with Bibby and Hankinson in the centres. Other options would be Burgess or Manfredi, as they've played centre before, Isa - which might be considered if Greenwood can find a bit of form, or Hardaker - which would be bold since he's our player of the season at fullback, but I think most Wigan fans want to see what Bevan French can do at fullback.

On the subject of French, Lam has already said he isn't sure where he's going to play him. He's mostly featured on the wing so he could be competition for Manfredi, Burgess and Marshall. There was talk of him being brought in to play in the halves so he could be paired up with Hastings, but that would mean moving a key player (Leuluai) from a key role.

In the forwards the only real guaranteed starters are Powell and Farrell. Greenwood, Isa or Smithies could take the other back row place (or maybe another youngster to stake a claim, such as Jack Wells, Kai Pearce-Paul or Joe Shorrocks.

Our middles are another mystery. George Burgess is a definite pick but he could be used off the bench or to start. Our experienced props (Clubb and Flower) aren't exactly guaranteed a place due to poor form and injury this year. Bullock is back to fitness and if he picks up his early season form again he'll be a dangerous player. Mitch Clark I'm not sure of but the club obviously rate him and he's another player in the mix, along with Navarrete (poor last year but he's still got potential), Partington and Byrne. We've also got competition for the loose forward role with O'Loughlin going for one more year and Smithies breaking through.

With so much competition for places and so many roles up for grabs I'm not sure how Lam will have any idea what our strongest team will be until they've got out on the field.

However, based on what our players are capable of, our strongest team to start in my opinion would be:

French; Manfredi, Hardaker, Bibby, Burgess; Hastings, Leuluai; Burgess, Powell, Flower; Greenwood, Farrell, O'Loughlin; (Bench - Smithies, Clark, Clubb, Bullock)

Although if I was to pick it again in a week it would probably be completely different. While I'd leave Willie Isa out of a theoretical strongest line up based on how good players could be at their best, he'll almost certainly be in the side because he's so consistent.

Archived