All the Clubs since 1895

fevnut

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carlisle City didn't even make it through to the New Year so were gone by the close of 1928. A proposal to move the club to Maryport was rejected by the RFL. Strange to think that had that happened then maybe one or both of Workington and Whitehaven might not have been.

Ditto Fev had Normanton or Pontefract survived the early years.

Considering just how marginalised our sport is nowadays it's a real downer to read through that list and see that if even only a few of the opportunities had been persevered with then RL would have a genuine national footprint.

These clubs played in the Lancashire Seconds.

Barton
Crompton
Dalton
Fleetwood
Leigh Shamrocks
Millom
Ulverston
Walkden
Werneth
Whitworth

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

My mind could be playing tricks on me but I think I remember a team called New South Wales around 1996?

Real interesting list that!

Yes. I saw them play Carlisle. It was a double-header along with Saints v Sheffield, which ended something like 50-40.

This is really interesting. Coventry have done a fair bit of digging on the original Coventry Northern Union team who incidentally also played at the Butt's Park where the Bears play now. This old Northern Union team wore black and white and the Bears home shirt this year is a nod to that. At the time of the Northern Union team there was also several factory teams as well. 

Thanks for doing this FevNut

It's always interesting to see teams like Liversedge, Heckmondwike and Sowerby Bridge, all places that I know quite well. Yet when one drives through, there is absolutely no trace now that those clubs once existed. I don't even think any of those places have an amateur team now!

Mind you there's no trace now of Bramley RFLC, apart from a new road called McLaren Fields where they built houses where the ground once was.

On 28/11/2019 at 17:11, RunItOffAfi said:

Bradford Northern dropped out of League 2 just before Christmas 1963 but re-formed during the following close season and came back into the league at the start of the 1964-65 season. So, that's less than a year out. A bit similar to York in the early part of this century, methinks.

There was no League 2 at that time, just a single consolidated professional league of 30 clubs. Otherwise, you are correct.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

Stan Doffarf - there were 2 divisions in operation in 1962/63 and 1963/64, and it was during the latter season that Bradford went belly up. I remember it well because it happened in December 1963, on the Monday before they were due to play my team (Oldham) on the following Saturday at Odsal. They reformed in the close season and re-joined the league in time for the 1964/65 season, when the league had reverted to one division, No proof at the time but the rumours were that the reason for going back to one league were down to Bradford's demise and the fear that other not so well off clubs would follow. 

15 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Full of Aussies were they?

On 30/11/2019 at 10:14, Gav Wilson said:

My mind could be playing tricks on me but I think I remember a team called New South Wales around 1996?

Real interesting list that!

They were called simply South Wales and are on the list. Played in 1996 but folded after just one season. Sadly the fate of so many Welsh teams.

On 28/11/2019 at 14:05, fevnut said:

fevnut has produced a chart showing all the professional and semi-professional clubs that have existed since the Northern Union breakaway in 1895. Clubs are grouped by their current or lat names but all the names and the dates of the clubs are shown.

Access the page by clicking on the link below.

https://fevblog452.blogspot.com/2019/11/all-rfl-clubs-since-1895.html

fevnut and stats 2020.png

Hemel will be back soon

On 30/11/2019 at 18:51, Stan Doffarf said:

There was no League 2 at that time, just a single consolidated professional league of 30 clubs. Otherwise, you are correct.

Correct Stan, Northern were in the Yorkshire league at the time all shown in that one consolidated league table. Seems like a different world…. 

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

1 hour ago, Bulliac said:

Correct Stan, Northern were in the Yorkshire league at the time all shown in that one consolidated league table. Seems like a different world…. 

If I remember rightly there were sixteen clubs in Yorkshire and fourteen in Lancashire/Cumberland. To balance the two halves of the comp, one Yorkshire club (Huddersfield?) played in the Lancashire League. Champions were decided by a top four playoff.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

No tears to cry no feelings left

22 hours ago, Stan Doffarf said:

If I remember rightly there were sixteen clubs in Yorkshire and fourteen in Lancashire/Cumberland. To balance the two halves of the comp, one Yorkshire club (Huddersfield?) played in the Lancashire League. Champions were decided by a top four playoff.

I can certainly remember Batley being in the Lancs league but I'm sure there must have been others at different times. You're right it was top four back then, though it changed to top eight and even top sixteen t one stage. Back in 63/64 winter season there were no subs (until next season), just three points for a try and still two for a drop and we still hadn't even started with the four tackle rule (let alone the current six). Different game, and different world, in is so many ways!

I don't want to labour the point but, in 1962/63 and 1963/64, the RFL operated two divisions and Bradford Northern were in the second division in 1962/63 and up to December 1963, when they folded. County leagues did not exist in those seasons, other than the Western and Eastern divisions, which were mini leagues, followed by knockout competitions involving the top 4 in each. 

12 hours ago, RunItOffAfi said:

I don't want to labour the point but, in 1962/63 and 1963/64, the RFL operated two divisions and Bradford Northern were in the second division in 1962/63 and up to December 1963, when they folded. County leagues did not exist in those seasons, other than the Western and Eastern divisions, which were mini leagues, followed by knockout competitions involving the top 4 in each. 

Ooops, sorry about that. You're correct, of course  I'd totally forgotten about that earlier, short two division period.

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 14:05, fevnut said:

fevnut has produced a chart showing all the professional and semi-professional clubs that have existed since the Northern Union breakaway in 1895. Clubs are grouped by their current or lat names but all the names and the dates of the clubs are shown.

Access the page by clicking on the link below.

https://fevblog452.blogspot.com/2019/11/all-rfl-clubs-since-1895.html

fevnut and stats 2020.png

You have missed off Rochdale Mayfield, formerly Mayfield ARLFC, 1958-present

2 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Great idea, love the concept in time hope you can put the evolution of club logos/emblems also

So long as we don't go into the evolution of every club's shirts, as I doubt even Google has sufficient gigamegasuperbytes to store all that information..

Archived