What salary cap could each club spend to if available?

Not many clubs turn a profit, and it's a pretty modest one for the ones that do. So I guess how much more clubs could pay depends how much the owners want to put their hands in their pockets. Unless you know them personally it's just speculation.

Salford would be spending the same as now.

Maybe a Better question would be, how many competitive teams would be left if teams could spend what the earned?

another good question Why does it appear most think more money = more entertaining/better games?

16 minutes ago, redsi42 said:

Salford would be spending the same as now.

Maybe a Better question would be, how many competitive teams would be left if teams could spend what the earned?

another good question Why does it appear most think more money = more entertaining/better games?

It would certainly attract better players, or keep them. 

56 minutes ago, redsi42 said:

Why does it appear most think more money = more entertaining/better games?

It's a case of attracting the best players for me. These are the players who are going to capture the public's imagination and inspire the next generation of players.

When I got in to RL, I was lucky to be able to see the likes of Martin Offiah, Jonathan Davies and Ellery Hanley in action. If they were around nowadays, the likes of Davies and Offiah (and countless others) would never have switched from RU, and Ellery Hanley would've been signed up by RU.

As many have pointed out, since the start of SL, we've still only had 4 teams win it in the past 23 years. Compare that to 11 different winners in the preceding 23 years before SL (we've also only had 7 different Challenge Cup winners compared to 11 in the same time periods). This season saw the 2nd placed team closer to the bottom of the league than the top, so it isn't leveling out the competition (unless we're talking in terms of mediocrity). We're also still seeing countless clubs getting into financial bother, so it isn't stopping that problem either. 

I also can't see how a salary cap is consistent with P&R. We're artificially holding clubs back in order to level the playing field, and then punishing them by relegating them when they finish bottom. The idea that Leeds could have been relegated is absolute lunacy for me. How is losing our biggest club in our biggest population centre going to attract more sponsors and money in to the game??

I'm therefore not convinced that the salary cap is fit for purpose any more, especially considering as it hasn't risen with inflation since 2002, so players are now earning less than they were 17 years ago, relatively speaking. If Super League wants to engage fans then it needs superstars. The marquee player rule has allowed this to some degree, but I would be in favour of either a much higher cap or getting rid of it altogether. There could still be a safeguard of allowing a maximum spend of 50% of income, for example, as a safety net to stop clubs overspending. 

3 hours ago, SL17 said:

If you have limitless resources as with the OP. Surely youth should come top of your bucket list. 
Youth is really only the way of making any money. Glamour and flashing lights doesn’t create a pathway.

And youth will only continue to play the game if they can make a decent living from it. They can't now and that is why the game is in trouble.

Solution? Increase the salary cap.

3 hours ago, SL17 said:

If you have limitless resources as with the OP. Surely youth should come top of your bucket list. 
Youth is really only the way of making any money. Glamour and flashing lights doesn’t create a pathway.

You need both, star players make kids want to play. 

Archived