Club Identity

fredm

1 hour ago, Batley Bob said:

Mcgilvary played for us in 2009

After signing for the Huddersfield Giants, McGillvary was sent out on loan to Batley Bulldogs for the 2009 Co-operative Championship, a season which saw him progress as a talent and earned him selection in the 2009 Championship team of the season.

He also played back end of 2008 with Aaron Murphy

On 01/12/2019 at 09:15, beefy1 said:

There is nothing specific in the terms of the contract re: changing colours etc. but between myself and the club we thought it was a good idea to give a nod to the NRC winning season with it being a decade on. 

With the off-field gear, there are plans to expand the range and for that to include more items in the “traditional” colours (there is a set of training kit in maroon/amber online already), but I felt it had been a bit “samey” for the last 2/3 years so I decided to base the players range around the away colours for a change. You see more and more clubs going away from their traditional colours for their non-playing apparel and admittedly it is done with a hope of increasing sales but I also do think that it looks very smart. 

I know people refer to the club not getting anything from sales but without them we wouldn’t be able to offer the deal they have (which I’m sure they’re happy with). That being said it was important to have a bit of a change this season as I think this is our seventh year of supplying Batley and we’ve probably turned a profit in three or four of those years, with last year being particularly poor. Sometimes poor performances on the field can cause sales to be down, but I also take responsibility and needed to try something new. It may work, it may not. 

Please don’t take this as some kind of rant. I look on here because I appreciate all the feedback, good or bad and I feel that the members of this forum are very passionate about their club. I just wanted to use it to try and explain the decisions we make and how we come to them. I’d like to think I’m approachable, so if anyone sees me and you have ideas/suggestions/questions please feel free to come and have a chat. 

Thanks for your reply beefy.

May I ask, has there been a drop in shirt sales over the years across the industry?

I ask, because at one time it seemed like you would see a RL shirt of some description almost everywhere you went, supermarkets, town, pubs, playing sports etc. but now a days it is a scarcity to see someone wearing a shirt, except on match days. I don't see as many replica football shirts as I used to either.

Mind you, it could be just me getting older and mixing in different circles/places and not noticing/seeing them as much. If it isn't just me:-

Do you think it is a fashion thing? Has it dropped since the move from cotton shirts to the lightweight nylon stuff? I know I stopped buying them for myself after I stopped playing because they don't help to make the best of my physique like the old heavy cotton ones did hehe. 

Kids are just not playing out as much as they did so you don't see them as often?

or

Some other factor?

I buy a shirt every season for my lad, as we live a long way from the area now, and it is great for spreading the brand out here in union country. A few of the other dad's have started to look out for the scores and ask how we're doing etc.

Also, they wash and dry so well, they are ideal for kids to mess about in and boy do they last!!!

Anyway, if you are looking for ideas My vote for next year's away shirt would be a copy of hull's away shirt colours from a few years ago, cracking colour scheme and really smart looking with jeans.

302 (1).jpg

2 hours ago, coolie said:

They'll have red, amber, black on them

All works well sharing with bulls; the strip that is! Only prob is when you play eachother who has to turn theirs inside out???!!!!

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

6 hours ago, coolie said:

Not seen our new shirts this season yet

But I'll have a stab in the dark and guess

They'll have red, amber, black on them

Stay loyal to your colours.. Always!! 

I have a lot of sympathy with what you are saying Coolie, but I don't see any harm in there being a nod to the kit worn in the NRC final and which was Batley's standard colours for many a year;  as long as it is just for the one season and as long as the original colours are used the season after  

On the theme of club identity, I don't especially like the 'away' kit idea. I liked the idea that the home team would give way and wear their second kit if the team colours were too similar.  I like to see visiting teams wearing their famous colours (although I can see some of the reasons that the away kit principal has become the norm).

Archived