BBC - again

Trojan

Anyone been watching Michael Portillo's Great Australian Railway Journeys?  I watched it last week, he was in Sydney, no mention of TGG even though it's the biggest sport there, but fair enough, the programme's not about sport.  Last night,   he travelled from Sydney to Brisbane via Australia's east coast.  Fascinating, Koala Bears, coalmining in Newcastle, the lot, only thing was, when he got to Brisbane, rugby did get a mention.  But the wrong rugby.  And they went for it big style with Portillo in Queensland Reds' shirt and shorts doing tackling practice.  Once again the impression was given that Union is the major sport in NSW & Queensland.  There was even a whole history section about how they'd broken with the AFL, but still no mention of Queensland's main sporting activity.  What do they gain from these false pretences?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

25 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Anyone been watching Michael Portillo's Great Australian Railway Journeys?  I watched it last week, he was in Sydney, no mention of TGG even though it's the biggest sport there, but fair enough, the programme's not about sport.  Last night,   he travelled from Sydney to Brisbane via Australia's east coast.  Fascinating, Koala Bears, coalmining in Newcastle, the lot, only thing was, when he got to Brisbane, rugby did get a mention.  But the wrong rugby.  And they went for it big style with Portillo in Queensland Reds' shirt and shorts doing tackling practice.  Once again the impression was given that Union is the major sport in NSW & Queensland.  There was even a whole history section about how they'd broken with the AFL, but still no mention of Queensland's main sporting activity.  What do they gain from these false pretences?

He was talking about Queensland RU being established in the 19th century. IIRC RL was founded in Australia in 1908. Now had he talked about modern day rugby rivalries then fair enough. But he didn't. It is called Railway journeys and focusses on history of towns/stations/destinations.

51 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I've done pretty well the same trip and the main theme, to be honest, was the lovely ocean!  The weather was magnificent....currently sitting through an ice storm at the moment here....ahhh...the warm Pacific Ocean.

Chuffin Train Spotters!

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

54 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I've done pretty well the same trip and the main theme, to be honest, was the lovely ocean!  The weather was magnificent....currently sitting through an ice storm at the moment here....ahhh...the warm Pacific Ocean.

Move to Vancouver ?

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

He was talking about Queensland RU being established in the 19th century. IIRC RL was founded in Australia in 1908. Now had he talked about modern day rugby rivalries then fair enough. But he didn't. It is called Railway journeys and focusses on history of towns/stations/destinations.

Except of course he didn't just stick to the 19th century, St Johnnie's mighty drop goal was mentioned at length. What bugs me is why the impression that Rugby League doesn't exist anywhere except the M62 corridor is always allowed to continue unchecked by the truth.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

19 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I don't buy that. Nobody is going to be tuning in to a programme about Michael Portillo travelling across Australia on the basis that he mentions rugby union. But to not mention rugby league obviously reveals an agenda by the producers of that particular show. It's hardly surprising though, given Portillo's background.

I slightly disagree...............there is no need to mention rugby league on such a programme. However, the fact they mention sport, and specifically the other code, is more of an agenda. Not surprising at all for Portillo or Beeb

29 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Except of course he didn't just stick to the 19th century, St Johnnie's mighty drop goal was mentioned at length. What bugs me is why the impression that Rugby League doesn't exist anywhere except the M62 corridor is always allowed to continue unchecked by the truth.

He only made reference to that because the guy he was talking to was an International who played 100 tests (and played in that game). Sometimes you need to live away from the M62 to realise that the whole world isn't conspiring against RL. Like it or not, RU was here first and Queensland RU came half a century before RL in Australia.

It is a railway and history programme, working through travel books written largely in the 19th century. 

11 minutes ago, Scubby said:

He only made reference to that because the guy he was talking to was an International who played 100 tests (and played in that game). Sometimes you need to live away from the M62 to realise that the whole world isn't conspiring against RL. Like it or not, RU was here first and Queensland RU came half a century before RL in Australia.

It is a railway and history programme, working through travel books written largely in the 19th century. 

I'm pretty sure the huge coal ships and the koala rescue centre weren't there in the 19th century   No one says the whole world is conspiring against RL.  But surely you've noticed when any programme about Australia's leisure pursuits is broadcast, Rugby League is studiously avoided.  They show AFL, they show cricket, they show the Melbourne Cup, but not RL.

Clement Attlee.

21 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I'm pretty sure the huge coal ships and the koala rescue centre weren't there in the 19th century   No one says the whole world is conspiring against RL.  But surely you've noticed when any programme about Australia's leisure pursuits is broadcast, Rugby League is studiously avoided.  They show AFL, they show cricket, they show the Melbourne Cup, but not RL.

In my experience, Southerners are by and large completely unaware how big RL and how small RU are in Australia.

For me down here in Kent, League is a like big, wonderful secret unless you find this stuff out for yourself.

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

I slightly disagree...............there is no need to mention rugby league on such a programme. However, the fact they mention sport, and specifically the other code, is more of an agenda. Not surprising at all for Portillo or Beeb

Yes you make that point better than I did. Nobody would watch that programme because they were going to mention sport. But because they did choose to mention it, they should've done something that was more reflective of the local culture. It'd be like going up to Newcastle and focusing on rugby but never mentioning Newcastle United.

17 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

It gets better....where do you think i moved from?   YUP!

If I had a choice between the East and West of Canada it would be the West every time seems less intense and laidback in my experience ?

I tuned in accidentally right at the end, channel surfing and was staggered by the reference to the Queensland, New South Wales rivalry in Rugby Union. Ha! The omission of any mention of Rugby League was so flagrant it was almost deafening. It was nothing short of outrageous.

A marvelous, wonderful smidgen of compensation presented itself though, when Portillo emerged from the changing room. His thick lipped, camp public schoolboy, posturing (while poncing around on the field) provided a perfectly grotesque caricature of the archetypal Hooray Henry. One that I will never ever forget.

8 hours ago, Trojan said:

They probably genuinely thought union was the most popular sport.

5 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

In my experience, Southerners are by and large completely unaware how big RL and how small RU are in Australia.

For me down here in Kent, League is a like big, wonderful secret unless you find this stuff out for yourself.

Not just southerners, in Ireland we tended to think of RU being big there, while Aussie rules is seen as the sport most closely identified with Oz. Having first watched RU around ‘91 with the RUWC I had only ever known RU as being a big deal in Oz.

Remember during the 2013 RU Lions tour and it was really shocking how poorly attended the games were by Aussies (stands had a sea of red jerseys from the UK and Ireland). This was in stark contrast to the 2001 Lions tour there when green and gold was everywhere...many Lions fans were deliberately prevented from getting tickets for the final test.  It was only during that 2013 tour that I was informed that the 2001 tour was a golden period for the popularity for RU in Oz, and that before the 90s it was nowhere, and since the mid 2000s it’s gone back to being nowhere. Basically their golden era was a blip, the norm has resumed. It’s bad for RU that RU in Oz is on its knees as the Aus vs NZ game was a highlight in the sports calendar, a game that was prominently advertised on Sky Sports whereas now they barely mention that it’s on. The decline in Aussie RU has allowed NZ to dominate far too easily. 

Regarding Portillo and RU, surely it’s due to him being a toff?

4 hours ago, Clogiron said:

If I had a choice between the East and West of Canada it would be the West every time seems less intense and laidback in my experience ?

It's like California North vs. New York North. Totally different vibe.

• ckn locked this topic

Archived