Sign in to follow this  
Trojan

BBC - again

I was on a train between Ashford Intl & Hastings a couple of years ago, and Portillo got on with his crew at Rye. They did a bit of quick filming on the platform & got on the same carriage as me, and filmed a very quick link, it all looked very rushed, and the on board link didn't appear on the programme.

Interesting to note that when Chris Tarrent did Australian Railways he never mentioned Rugby League either, and it wasn't mentioned at all on here. Maybe it's Trojan with an agenda?

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

3 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Actually, you might be surprised to find he’s not quite one of the elite, didn’t attend the right school in Harrow.   I’m not defending Portillo here at all, but having watched a lot of the stuff he does I was surprised to find he’s actually not a ‘Toff’ but just what you might call ‘traditional middle class’ if you abide by such terms.

He comes across as a bit pompous and naive but I certainly don’t think he has any anti-RL agenda.   If you’ve ever watched the Great British Railways series you can see he gets excited about all sorts of things, from Stately Homes right through to Factory Floors.

He’s no John Inverdale, that’s for sure.

I don't think he is, I think the Beeb told him what they wanted, and he did it. AFAIK Portillo went to a state school in Harrow, I may be wrong but I think it was the same state school Diane Abbot went to, I believe outside of politics the two are quite close friends. Portillo has said that up to his entering Uni he was a huge Labour supporter

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

13 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

If you hadn't seen a particular tv programme and then found out it had mentioned Rugby League I suspect you would try to watch it at a later date ... so maybe just as some Rugby Union supporters will do for this programme.

Quite right, I certainly watch anything that has something to do with league, just like I will watch absolutely any programme that has something to do with Hull, I guess I just like to see a bit of publicity for the things I enjoy or have a link to.

3 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I was on a train between Ashford Intl & Hastings a couple of years ago, and Portillo got on with his crew at Rye. They did a bit of quick filming on the platform & got on the same carriage as me, and filmed a very quick link, it all looked very rushed, and the on board link didn't appear on the programme.

Interesting to note that when Chris Tarrent did Australian Railways he never mentioned Rugby League either, and it wasn't mentioned at all on here. Maybe it's Trojan with an agenda?

Did Chris Tarrant do tackling practice with the Brisbane Reds?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Let's say it's the ultimate conspiracy, designed to put down RL. 

If that's the case, are you assuming that everyone who watched the show is going to turn around and say, 'Well, you know what, bloody hated RU before, but now that I know they play it in Queensland, sod this lark I've been following all my life, when's the next Sale Sharkies game on?'

I reckon 3 people who watched the show took any note of that, and all of them are members on TotalRL.

Edited by Mr Wind Up
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Let's say it's the ultimate conspiracy, designed to put down RL. 

If that's the case, are you assuming that everyone who watched the show is going to turn around and say, 'Well, you know what, bloody hated RU before, but now that I know they play it in Queensland, sod this lark I've been following all my life, when's the next Sale Sharkies game on?'

I reckon 3 people who watched the show took any note of that, and all of them are members on TotalRL.

I've not seen the show so won't comment on that specifically, but this is a flawed argument. Hundreds of these small slights add up, often subconsciously to change perceptions. Your argument is similar to what people use to dismiss the extent of sexism. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

I've not seen the show so won't comment on that specifically, but this is a flawed argument. Hundreds of these small slights add up, often subconsciously to change perceptions. Your argument is similar to what people use to dismiss the extent of sexism. 

How does the perception of what people play in Queensland have any bearing on the sporting interests of Britons? 

Despite all the toffs who come through the British Brainwashing Corporation to indoctrinate us sheep into liking what they like, RU isn't adored by all and sundry, and remains irrelevant in RL territory. 

On the list of things that influence sporting fandom, not talking about RL in a travel show is somewhere between 120 and 130 on the list.

1 minute ago, Mr Wind Up said:

How does the perception of what people play in Queensland have any bearing on the sporting interests of Britons? 

Despite all the toffs who come through the British Brainwashing Corporation to indoctrinate us sheep into liking what they like, RU isn't adored by all and sundry, and remains irrelevant in RL territory. 

On the list of things that influence sporting fandom, not talking about RL in a travel show is somewhere between 120 and 130 on the list.

So why in your opinion did they choose to ignore the most popular sport in the state and instead feature a less popular one?

7 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

So why in your opinion did they choose to ignore the most popular sport in the state and instead feature a less popular one?

Did you only pick up on it because you're an avid RL fan, conveniently overlooking all the other places in BBC travel shows that don't plug the most popular sport in the city they're passing through? Or are you upset because it happened in RL heartlands. I'm asking because it seems like you're keeping tabs. 

To answer your question, maybe the presenter, or even the producer of the show, really like RU, and so decided to incorporate that into the piece. As I said in the comment you quoted, it doesn't matter how much BBC toffs promote RU through their shows, it's not going to have any real effect on what people follow. There are too many bigger influencers of sporting fandom than bloody travelling shows to make any difference. 

The BBC have promoted RU for a long time, and still the nation is mostly indifferent to the game. This isn't going to move the needle. 

Edited by Mr Wind Up
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

You've misunderstood my point. I expressly said I wasn't talking about this case and instead that your argument was flawed. 

You may say RU remains irrelevant despite the bias, but that doesn't mean it hasn't elevated RU even if to a small degree. 

9 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Did you only pick up on it because you're an avid RL fan, conveniently overlooking all the other places in BBC travel shows that don't plug the most popular sport in the city they're passing through? 

The BBC have promoted RU for a long time, and still the nation is mostly indifferent to the game. This isn't going to move the needle. 

I'm not buying that, i'm sure a lot of soccer ppl in the south of In-glund watch and know a reasonable amount about RU; J Mourinho for one.  

11 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

I'm not buying that, i'm sure a lot of soccer ppl in the south of In-glund watch and know a reasonable amount about RU; J Mourinho for one.  

Yeah, Mourinho is a die hard union fan...must be all the travel shows he watches

Edited by Mr Wind Up
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

You've misunderstood my point. I expressly said I wasn't talking about this case and instead that your argument was flawed. 

You may say RU remains irrelevant despite the bias, but that doesn't mean it hasn't elevated RU even if to a small degree. 

What do you think had more of an effect? Six Nations, winning 2003, being a perennial contender on the international stage.....or travel shows?

18 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Did you only pick up on it because you're an avid RL fan, conveniently overlooking all the other places in BBC travel shows that don't plug the most popular sport in the city they're passing through? Or are you upset because it happened in RL heartlands. I'm asking because it seems like you're keeping tabs. 

To answer your question, maybe the presenter, or even the producer of the show, really like RU, and so decided to incorporate that into the piece. As I said in the comment you quoted, it doesn't matter how much BBC toffs promote RU through their shows, it's not going to have any real effect on what people follow. There are too many bigger influencers of sporting fandom than bloody travelling shows to make any difference. 

It doesn't matter whether the country is indifferent to Union or League, the impression is given the Rugby Union is the major sport in Queensland, when it's anything but the truth.  Most Brits will never go to Oz, and they'll remain ignorant of the fact that there are major cities in the world where Rugby League is the dominant part of the sporting culture. 

My daughter went to Oz from November 2000 to March 2001 - effectively during the NRL closed season, but she was shocked to note that even then, RL dominated papers' sports coverage in NSW and Queensland, even to the extent that often it was on the front (news) pages of the papers.

Clement Attlee.

14 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Did you only pick up on it because you're an avid RL fan, conveniently overlooking all the other places in BBC travel shows that don't plug the most popular sport in the city they're passing through? Or are you upset because it happened in RL heartlands.

I'm not upset at all. But it is an observation that I've made as an RL fan in this instance. I don't watch travel shows at all, so am just reacting to second hand comments from a relative who did watch the show.

13 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

I'm asking because it seems like you're keeping tabs. 

Are you keeping tabs on me keeping tabs?? 🤨

16 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

To answer your question, maybe the presenter, or even the producer of the show, really like RU, and so decided to incorporate that into the piece.

I suspect exactly the same.

As I said in the comment you quoted, it doesn't matter how much BBC toffs promote RU through their shows, it's not going to have any real effect on what people follow. There are too many bigger influencers of sporting fandom than bloody travelling shows to make any difference. 

I disagree here, and believe it does have an impact, albeit an extremely minor one at first glance. I think Cowardly Fan makes an excellent point about the long-term drip, drip drip effect of 100s of slights adding up to subconsciously influence people's perceptions. Living in a non-heartlands area, I've sat in countless meetings and had countless conversations with people who have made sneering and disparaging comments about rugby league. Often, these people (many of whom are from private school backgrounds) hold influential positions in various organisations.

Don't get me wrong - the reasons why rugby league isn't more popular and more successful in this country are primarily caused from within the game itself. However, there is definitely a disproportionate bias towards RU in certain influential sections of the media, which doesn't help.

• Like 1

Just now, Trojan said:

It doesn't matter whether the country is indifferent to Union or League, the impression is given the Rugby Union is the major sport in Queensland, when it's anything but the truth.  Most Brits will never go to Oz, and they'll remain ignorant of the fact that there are major cities in the world where Rugby League is the dominant part of the sporting culture. 

My daughter went to Oz from November 2000 to March 2001 - effectively during the NRL closed season, but she was shocked to note that even then, RL dominated papers' sports coverage in NSW and Queensland, even to the extent that often it was on the front (news) pages of the papers.

Thank you for demonstrating my point so perfectly. In your world, people sitting at home watching the show would've heard that RL is the major sport in Queensland, and.......... what happens next? Would they all convert to RL knowing that Queenslanders like it? What is it exactly that you think would change if this segment had been presented differently? 

The answer is nothing of course, but I'm curious to hear your take anyway. The segment did nothing for either sport, and only managed to rile up the small number of diehard fans who are outraged by every perceived discrimination, even when said discrimination makes no mention of RL.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

]

Don't get me wrong - the reasons why rugby league isn't more popular and more successful in this country are primarily caused from within the game itself. However, there is definitely a disproportionate bias towards RU in certain influential sections of the media, which doesn't help.

Of course there's a bias. No one is denying the BBC promotes RU over RL. They may even promote RU over football for all I know. To be honest I don't watch much TV outside sports programming. 

As I said above in another post, England winning the Six Nations will have an effect on RU's popularity in ways that 'drip drip' effect never will. 

Just now, Mr Wind Up said:

Thank you for demonstrating my point so perfectly. In your world, people sitting at home watching the show would've heard that RL is the major sport in Queensland, and.......... what happens next? Would they all convert to RL knowing that Queenslanders like it?

This isn't what people are suggesting. Your example is far-fetched and ludicrous.

What is it exactly that you think would change if this segment had been presented differently? 

The answer is nothing of course, but I'm curious to hear your take anyway. The segment did nothing for either sport, and only managed to rile up the small number of diehard fans who are outraged by every perceived discrimination, even when said discrimination makes no mention of RL.

In isolation it would have made next to no impact whatsover. Instead, try to consider the cumulative impact of hundreds and hundreds of this type of example over several decades. 

• Like 1

As I said above in another post, England winning the Six Nations will have an effect on RU's popularity in ways that 'drip drip' effect never will. 

Short term most definitely. Long term over several decades?

4 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Short term most definitely. Long term over several decades?

What does that even mean? A short term 'event', such as the RL world cup final held at Wembley, in front of 90,000 people and millions watching on TV, with England beating Australia with a last-gasp try has the potential to create a legion of lifelong fans. This travel show has the potential of making someone want to spend their summer holidays in Queensland. 

This drip-drip effect has nothing on the power of watching a single game on TV, or by playing a single game with friends. This is why the drip-drip effect is so weak, and it's why RU is a shadow of football even in a country where private school toffs run the media. There's no substitute to being exposed a sport firsthand. 

Thank you for demonstrating my point so perfectly. In your world, people sitting at home watching the show would've heard that RL is the major sport in Queensland, and.......... what happens next? Would they all convert to RL knowing that Queenslanders like it? What is it exactly that you think would change if this segment had been presented differently? 

Nothing would change immediately but if it was followed up with mentions of the game on shows about Aussie sport culture, maybe something would change.  Perhaps the impression given by journos that a UK side beating the Aussies at Union was a major feat would be dispelled. 

I recall the 1984 Wallabies touring here and the Unionistas raving about the brand of football they played.  Of course anyone who'd seen the 1982 Kangaroo side would recognise where it had come from.  But Bill McLaren and the rest of the League hating crew could never bring themselves to do that.  TBF in private the Union lot did credit the '82 Kangaroos, but the story was not picked up by Mclaren etc. here.

Of course the one way to establish the game in the British sporting consciousness would be a series victory over the Aussies.  The sporting press would be compelled by events to reveal how big RL is in Oz.  At the moment that seems a long way from happening given our stumblebum performance against Tonga, NZ and PNG. 

• Like 1

Clement Attlee.

14 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

What does that even mean? A short term 'event', such as the RL world cup final held at Wembley, in front of 90,000 people and millions watching on TV, with England beating Australia with a last-gasp try has the potential to create a legion of lifelong fans. This travel show has the potential of making someone want to spend their summer holidays in Queensland. 

This drip-drip effect has nothing on the power of watching a single game on TV, or by playing a single game with friends. This is why the drip-drip effect is so weak, and it's why RU is a shadow of football even in a country where private school toffs run the media. There's no substitute to being exposed a sport firsthand. 

Whereabouts do you live if you don't mind me asking? I'll then try to answer your point and provide some context.

4 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Nothing would change immediately but if it was followed up with mentions of the game on shows about Aussie sport culture, maybe something would change.  Perhaps the impression given by journos that a UK side beating the Aussies at Union was a major feat would be dispelled. 

Why does this matter? 

What difference does it make if journos write that or not? It's not going to convert anyone to RU if they think RU is a major sport in Australia.

People are delusional across all walks of life. You cant make everyone see your point of view and agree with it. Why get bothered over a non mention in a travel show which no one other than a few outraged TRL members would even notice.