Sign in to follow this  
Trojan

BBC - again

This is a strange post. Suppose they showcased rugby league on this travel show, does OP or anyone else here think that people, who didn’t follow rugby league, were going to follow it because it’s popular in Australia? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boomer Bang Wool said:

This is a strange post. Suppose they showcased rugby league on this travel show, does OP or anyone else here think that people, who didn’t follow rugby league, were going to follow it because it’s popular in Australia? 

If you've been reading the last few pages, the answer is yes, some do believe that.

1 minute ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

No they don't. Literally nobody has suggested that.

No, no, you're right, they just want the good people of England to know that RU is smalltime in Oz and RL is the big fish because.... reasons.  

Just now, Mr Wind Up said:

No, no, you're right, they just want the good people of England to know that RU is smalltime in Oz and RL is the big fish because.... reasons.  

Whereabouts in the country do you live? I will then attempt to provide some context to explain it to you.

To keep to the topic...

The programme travelled through a relative hot bed of rugby league and failed to recognise it.  It strikes me that it is fair comment to criticise it.  Surely the point of using an out dated railway gazette was to counterpoint the old with the new, and it is surely appalling to ignore rugby league in modern Australia.

I don't need context or an explanation. This entire thread is a massive overreaction to something that isn't an issue. That RL has been mistreated by the media is no secret. That the BBC brass promote their favoured game is no secret either. 

Where I reserve my annoyance with the media, RU and the people that follow it is when they release nonsense propaganda directly targeting Rugby League. 

This? This is a joke. I don't care if someone ignores RL. I take umbrage when they attack it directly. Which is why, for instance, I'd be much more interested in the BBC taking an active approach to deleting every troll comment on RL articles it publishes, rather than making sure it adds sporting context for the 60 year old women that watch travel shows. 

Should the BBC, which takes a license fee from millions who prefer RL over RU, do more to promote the game? Absolutely. But this totally minute detail on a travel show, which makes no commentary on the state of the sport in Britain, is not a reason for outrage. 

I've had my say in this thread, and won't make any further input after this. 

RU is by far and away the worst piece of turgid trash to ever grace this good world, and everyone who follows it deserves to burn in misery in the firey pits of hell. As someone who actively despises RU, I'm bemused that this thread has gotten some of the response it has. You'd think we were talking about a Stephen Jones article. 

Keep fighting the good fight. There are bigger battles ahead.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

this totally minute detail on a travel show, which makes no commentary on the state of the sport in Britain, is not a reason for outrage. 

I can't speak for others but I'm certainly not outraged.

35 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

I don't need context or an explanation.

36 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

I've had my say in this thread, and won't make any further input after this. 

Very open minded of you. 

Do I think this is some sort of conspiracy against RL? Not really. And it’s definitely not about whether it affects the popularity of RL.

However, it is pretty odd that you would ignore something so central to the place you are reporting on and focus on a similar thing whilst completely ignoring the other one as if it simply doesn’t exist. 
For example, can you imagine someone doing a bit of a mini documentary on Newcastle (for instance) and not at least mentioning how big a part of local life NUFC are? It’s illogical.

As I say, I don’t really think it’s worth getting upset over but it’s definitely not the obvious angle for such a piece. 

Five posts deleted, one person given a short suspension from the forum and a final warning.

I'll leave this locked to settle down until later as there's too many people getting over excited on this subject.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain