Don’t Expect NRL To Take Internationals Seriously...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of nonsense in that regarding Perth and some lame excuses. In particular its hard for any place to have a huge league audience if they don't have a team to get behind. The travel excuse is laughable. I completely understand the argument for Queensland getting and deserving another team but that shouldn't mean a no to real expansion.

Absolute frauds calling themselves the NATIONAL Rugby League when they wont even take the competition to Perth or Adelaide.

It’s like they just don’t see the long term benefits of having a presence in the biggest cities. Happy with their Sydney centric comp and will be for years.

As always with RL a lack of vision holds it back. 

Surely the TV companies would love part of their package in a new location AND a different time zone. It really shouldn’t be difficult to sell.

1 hour ago, Cdd said:

Absolute frauds calling themselves the NATIONAL Rugby League when they wont even take the competition to Perth or Adelaide.

It’s like they just don’t see the long term benefits of having a presence in the biggest cities. Happy with their Sydney centric comp and will be for years.

As always with RL a lack of vision holds it back. 

Surely the TV companies would love part of their package in a new location AND a different time zone. It really shouldn’t be difficult to sell.

Same ###### in Rugby Union.  The ARU canned Western Force when they were the best drawing team in Australia and had the most corporate support.  RL has a real chance to push the game forward here, a missed opportunity.

2 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

Same ###### in Rugby Union.  The ARU canned Western Force when they were the best drawing team in Australia and had the most corporate support.  RL has a real chance to push the game forward here, a missed opportunity.

Exactly. Huge missed opportunity with Super Rugby ditching it. Create a pathway and get all the youngsters in WA aspiring to play League. 

1 hour ago, Celt said:

The bloke saying that expansion should take place in Queensland (ahead of Perth) is almost as backward as the people on here who were recently saying that SuperLeague would be better off having featherstone in it, than Toronto Wolfpack.

Both arguments share the same idiotic ideaology.

mabe but if yer key goal is to drive the origin series, then why be bothered or its a lower priority setting a footprint elsewhere...

Not saying i agree, but all depends what the goals are...

V’landys may be over dramatic on the Perth comments but you need to read between the lines a bit here. 

The money will not be as freely available for the next TV deal in the depressed TV market (not just for sports but across the TV industry). So if NRL is to expand it’s looking like an increase to 17 teams rather than 18. The market is dictating this.

Its obvious Brisbane needs a second team. Brisbane, a rusted-on Rugby League stronghold with a population on 2.4 million and only one team is ridiculous. Channel 9 are obsessed with airing Brisbane Broncos games every single week to boost Queensland TV ratings and everyone is utterly sick of it (including Queenslanders). No such problem exists in NSW because Channel 9 has nine Sydney teams to choose from. A second Brisbane team will give Channel 9 a second option, and offer respite for Aussie league fans sick of the Broncos. Channel 9 would be willing to pay $$$ TV money for this even though an odd number of teams offers no extra games - all because of the Queensland TV ratings a second Brisbane team will bring with it.

From the NRL’s perspective, if the depressed TV market dictates there’s only enough money to go around for 17 teams, then a Brisbane 2 must be next cab off the rank. For the NRL it’s a win-win - admitting a second Brisbane team with be low risk: a ready-made Rugby League market, minimal investment required (compared to the millions required to throw at Perth to make it a success), a ready-made player base, juniors, a ready-made supporter base, the game’s ready-made high-profile in a Rugby League stronghold city, at a great stadium - all for an increased $$$ TV deal return due to Channel 9’s obsession with Queensland ratings - it’s a no-brainer.

If the NRL had the bargaining power, and if TV market had the finances for 18 teams then Perth would be in as the 18th team. The fact that they can only just barely increase to 17 teams means Brisbane 2 is in.

16 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

... when the head of the commission V’Landys is quoted in today’s Telegraph as saying Perth is not a destination for expansion for NRL.

3A8C8810-7ED9-49A8-BA1F-D05AA1770461.jpeg

Was anyone else trying to read the Trent Merrin story below.....

I know the NRL has its flaws but I do find it comical that people on this forum who live on the other side of the world feel they know more about the commercial sporting landscape of Australia than the NRL commission/hierarchy.

The same commission/hierarchy that over the past 10 years have turned the NRL into commercially the number 1 rugby competition on the planet.

But we, on a UK forum know better haha

2 hours ago, AB90 said:

I know the NRL has its flaws but I do find it comical that people on this forum who live on the other side of the world feel they know more about the commercial sporting landscape of Australia than the NRL commission/hierarchy.

The same commission/hierarchy that over the past 10 years have turned the NRL into commercially the number 1 rugby competition on the planet.

Yet it does seem odd that the "billion dollar business" that is the NRL struggles to spread it's wings beyond NSW & Queensland - but by comparison, in it's 14 years of existence from virtually nothing, the A League (the Aussie soccer league) has managed to establish clubs in 4 states & 2 countries - including clubs in Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, & Wellington - with plans for further expansion. Even to 'non experts' like myself it does suggest that there just isn't the will to try no matter what the size of any TV/sponsorship deals.

12 hours ago, AB90 said:

I find it comical how in this day and age how people think people from England can't know about something that interests them in Australia, likewise the other way around. They're not exactly waiting for 3 month old newspaper clipping to travel over by boat. Also there are plenty of Australians on here.

There is another Australian based forum where V'Landys is copping a lot of slack for his comments and rightly so. They are some of the stupidest comments I've seen from a chairman in quite a long time, especially about a city they are trying to sell tickets for their next "event" (9's). If the guy supports Brisbane 2 fair enough but for him to actively s*** on Perth in the process is extremely backward. Why not just talking up each bids positives and the competition for spots the NRL has?

He has basically talked down his own code by admitting he doesn't think they NRL is up to expanding to Perth but blaming Perth for it despite some very good crowds and a lot of hard work from staff on the ground over the last 10 years. The WA minister of sport has replied by saying they're reevaluating the generous amount of money they put towards Rugby League if that is the stance the Chairman is going with. 

People arguing this as "tactics" I just cannot see it, and if it is I think his tactics are awful.

14 hours ago, Pyjamarama said:

Yet it does seem odd that the "billion dollar business" that is the NRL struggles to spread it's wings beyond NSW & Queensland - but by comparison, in it's 14 years of existence from virtually nothing, the A League (the Aussie soccer league) has managed to establish clubs in 4 states & 2 countries - including clubs in Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, & Wellington - with plans for further expansion. Even to 'non experts' like myself it does suggest that there just isn't the will to try no matter what the size of any TV/sponsorship deals.

Yet the ALeague is declining year after year. Things aren't looking to bright atm for that competition.   

8 hours ago, Celt said:

Absolutely mate.  For a sport that is apparently only played by Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters*, it certainly seems to making a lot more inroads across the nation than the traditional proudly Aussie sport of Rugby League. Makes you wonder if the people running the sport are fit for purpose...

* I am referring to a book bearing the same title, written by a former captain of the Australia football team, before anyone gets "offended" and reports me to the moderator.

A poor A-League match can sometimes get tv ratings that are around 3% of the ratings a big NRL regular season match gets. I guess that is growth because it’s probably more than a poor match in the national soccer competition got 15 years ago.

The a-League is a black hole for money from soccer’s true believers

Archived