Don’t Expect NRL To Take Internationals Seriously...

Brisbane could actually handle two new teams at once.

redcliff is the ARLC appointed favourite.  they have a strong leagues club and juniors.  ipswich was formerly highlighted by david gallop as a major growth coridoor.

from a strategic standpoint there are hardly any negatives in doing this.

Broadcasters are keen for more queensland teams, people are bored with seeing the broncos every friday night.

brisbane can clearly support more teams.  the broncos turn over 50 million pa with hardly any effort.

it would be a major boost for nrl crowds as queensland clubs generally have much better crowds,  plus the benefit of having more derbies.

it would also annhialate AFL in queensland.  the suns get 25 million a year from the AFL and are a basket case.  the lions have been losing money for 10 years.

two more NRL clubs in brisbane would crush the AFL there.  it would probably force the AFL to relocate the suns to tasmania to survive.

makes more sense fighting AFL in rugby league territory in queensland than putting a club in perth who would need tens of millions each year more than other nrl clubs to survive and have to compete with one of the strongest AFL clubs, the eagles

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you read the article in the OP, while damning towards Perth, it makes sense to target Brisbane and Queensland further when it is Rugby League’s Second State, the percentage (15) of contracted players eligible for Queensland in the NRL and because State of Origin’s stature in the game. 

I don’t read it as shutting the door on Perth completely, more secure-prioritising them while they attempt to grow their Golden Turkey, State of Origin. Perth are still getting the Nines, State of Origin and regular NRL games, it’s not as though they’re getting nothing, it just seems at this time that they’re not top of the NRL’s list and I don’t think that’s a problem. 

On 03/12/2019 at 02:38, Pyjamarama said:

Yet it does seem odd that the "billion dollar business" that is the NRL struggles to spread it's wings beyond NSW & Queensland - but by comparison, in it's 14 years of existence from virtually nothing, the A League (the Aussie soccer league) has managed to establish clubs in 4 states & 2 countries - including clubs in Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, & Wellington - with plans for further expansion. Even to 'non experts' like myself it does suggest that there just isn't the will to try no matter what the size of any TV/sponsorship deals.

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/foxtel-cut-sports-after-losing-417-million-012103191.html

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/rugby/news/rugby-union-foxtel-optus-broadcast-rights-television/14r0pferk83r61ue2zqrd1rabe

heres a big reason why sports in australia shouldnt be taking risks with expansion.  the ARU has already culled the western force.

the A league is a basket case, its another that will be lucky to survive in ten years.

the ARLC is playing it smart in the current climate

1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/foxtel-cut-sports-after-losing-417-million-012103191.html

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/rugby/news/rugby-union-foxtel-optus-broadcast-rights-television/14r0pferk83r61ue2zqrd1rabe

heres a big reason why sports in australia shouldnt be taking risks with expansion.  the ARU has already culled the western force.

the A league is a basket case, its another that will be lucky to survive in ten years.

the ARLC is playing it smart in the current climate

You do quote some very important matters in the expanding Australian sporting market. 

Personally, I think any thoughts of the A-League going under is unlikely.

The day that the ARU realise that the profile of RU in Aus will swiftly regenerate by pulling out of Super Rugby and develop a domestic professional club competition, will be the day that the NRL embarks on its biggest challenge since the super league war.

I used to think otherwise about Brisbane, but my opinion has changed as times have changed and I now think both Perth and Brisbane are imperative expansion posts for the NRL.

7 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

You do quote some very important matters in the expanding Australian sporting market. 

Personally, I think any thoughts of the A-League going under is unlikely.

The day that the ARU realise that the profile of RU in Aus will swiftly regenerate by pulling out of Super Rugby and develop a domestic professional club competition, will be the day that the NRL embarks on its biggest challenge since the super league war.

I used to think otherwise about Brisbane, but my opinion has changed as times have changed and I now think both Perth and Brisbane are imperative expansion posts for the NRL.

club rugby union vs the nrl lol no chance.

they lost that battle in the 1920s.  the only rival the NRL has is AFL.

AFL has more cash that it knows what to do with and is backing its expansion clubs to the hilt

union only had appeal when the wallabies were a draw.  now the soceroos have taken that they are stuffed.

A league clubs are losing millions on average.  crowds are fairly average and tv ratings are below union.  funnily enough they decided to add two new teams as a hope it will spark interest again in the competition

7 hours ago, aj1908 said:

club rugby union vs the nrl lol no chance.

they lost that battle in the 1920s.  the only rival the NRL has is AFL.

AFL has more cash that it knows what to do with and is backing its expansion clubs to the hilt

union only had appeal when the wallabies were a draw.  now the soceroos have taken that they are stuffed.

A league clubs are losing millions on average.  crowds are fairly average and tv ratings are below union.  funnily enough they decided to add two new teams as a hope it will spark interest again in the competition

I was more referring to a new pinnacle for domestic rugby union in Aus. RU has been on the ropes for a very long time in Aus, but it is still very far from dead.

NRL cannot rest on its laurels. RL needs a larger Australian and pacific geographical footprint if it wants to continue to pull further ahead of RU.

4 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I was more referring to a new pinnacle for domestic rugby union in Aus. RU has been on the ropes for a very long time in Aus, but it is still very far from dead.

NRL cannot rest on its laurels. RL needs a larger Australian and pacific geographical footprint if it wants to continue to pull further ahead of RU.

i cant see union ever recovering now.  melbourne rebels arent sustainable and the brumbies are struggling financially

the ARLC has said it wants to do more in the pacific

if the ARLC spent time on it league would become the dominant sport in the pacific and provide lots more players that currently go to the all blacks or union in general.

the australian clubs need to be financially stable.  under the last deal we had a lot of clubs that borrowed money from the ARLC or go broke including the titans, knights, tigers and dragons.

56 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

i cant see union ever recovering now.  melbourne rebels arent sustainable and the brumbies are struggling financially

I tentatively agree with you, but only because the ARU doesn't have the balls to attempt what would have to be done to resurrect the sport in Australia.

On the Brumbies. I wouldn't worry to much about them, they're just struggling because the Raiders are so successful at the moment. Unfortunately the Raiders current successful streak won't last forever, and eventually things will swing back around in the Brumbies favour again.

That's kind of just how the Canberra market works, whichever of the two pro teams is more successful at any given moment dictates which of the two sports is more popular and successful in the city at any given moment.

6 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

I tentatively agree with you, but only because the ARU doesn't have the balls to attempt what would have to be done to resurrect the sport in Australia.

On the Brumbies. I wouldn't worry to much about them, they're just struggling because the Raiders are so successful at the moment. Unfortunately the Raiders current successful streak won't last forever, and eventually things will swing back around in the Brumbies favour again.

That's kind of just how the Canberra market works, whichever of the two pro teams is more successful at any given moment dictates which of the two sports is more popular and successful in the city at any given moment.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6181641/where-are-the-fans-brumbies-feel-financial-pinch-of-record-low-crowd/

https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/australias-super-rugby-teams-broke-unless-media-revenue-increases/

this time its different.  with the new nrl funding model of 12.5 million grant vs 9.5 million salary cap league clubs are now on a very solid footing.  even the ###### clubs like cronulla should be ok.

raiders are just getting back fans lost since super league, they never really got them back fully.  and they arent that succesful yet they need a decent run of finals appearances.

apparently the current foxtel offer for super rugby is way less than the current deal.

6 hours ago, aj1908 said:

I'm born and raised in Canberra, and I've lived the majority of my life here. I've also followed the Raiders more or less from the beginning. So I think I know a little about the culture and the workings of Canberra and the Raiders.

The only difference this time is that the Brumbie's problems have been compounded by the fact that the ARU and the sport it's self is doing so poorly, other than that their current struggles are pretty much par for the course of being one of the two big rugby clubs in Canberra.

Any talk of the Brumbies folding is nonsense , because even if the current mob of people running them send them broke the Tuggeranong Vikings will just buy them and bankroll them. The Vikings need the Brumbies (or another professional RU club) and the Vikings are just as loaded as the Raiders, so if they had to they could bankroll them for quite a while.

Truth be told the Vikings have had their eye on owning the Brumbies for years, they just haven't had the opportunity to buy them yet.

Any talk of their not being an Australian professional RU competition in at least some form is also nonsense, it may be a shadow of what it once was, but even if the ARU pulls out of Super Rugby and goes broke there'll still be pro Rugby in some form, and the Brumbies (or at least a Canberra team) will always be a part of that.

6 hours ago, aj1908 said:

raiders are just getting back fans lost since super league, they never really got them back fully.  and they arent that succesful yet they need a decent run of finals appearances.

The exodus of Raiders fans in the 00s wasn't because of SL, pretty much everybody in Canberra was behind the Raiders in that fight.

The exodus was the bandwagon jumping off the club after the Raiders weren't winning anything anymore (and because the club was being openly hostile to the fans at times, but that's a whole other thing).  BTW most of that bandwagon that left the Raiders went over to, you guessed it, the Brumbies.

That is kind of just how the sports market works in Canberra, whatever the most popular team is at any given moment is determined by fads created by whoever the most successful team is at any given moment . 

From 1987-2012 the Raiders were in the finals at least once every second year, and it made no difference to the Raiders popularity for most of that time because people don't care about finals appearances unless you are an actual competitor, and from about 99-2012 (with a couple of notable exceptions) the Raiders were just making up the numbers in the finals.

So unless that decent run of finals appearances are top 4 appearances were the Raiders go deep into the finals, it won't make much difference, and even if they do go on an extended period of being premiership contenders that won't last forever, and once the run is over the Brumbies will be waiting in the wings to capitalise. 

1 hour ago, The Great Dane said:

I'm born and raised in Canberra, and I've lived the majority of my life here. I've also followed the Raiders more or less from the beginning. So I think I know a little about the culture and the workings of Canberra and the Raiders.

The only difference this time is that the Brumbie's problems have been compounded by the fact that the ARU and the sport it's self is doing so poorly, other than that their current struggles are pretty much par for the course of being one of the two big rugby clubs in Canberra.

Any talk of the Brumbies folding is nonsense , because even if the current mob of people running them send them broke the Tuggeranong Vikings will just buy them and bankroll them. The Vikings need the Brumbies (or another professional RU club) and the Vikings are just as loaded as the Raiders, so if they had to they could bankroll them for quite a while.

Truth be told the Vikings have had their eye on owning the Brumbies for years, they just haven't had the opportunity to buy them yet.

Any talk of their not being an Australian professional RU competition in at least some form is also nonsense, it may be a shadow of what it once was, but even if the ARU pulls out of Super Rugby and goes broke there'll still be pro Rugby in some form, and the Brumbies (or at least a Canberra team) will always be a part of that.

The exodus of Raiders fans in the 00s wasn't because of SL, pretty much everybody in Canberra was behind the Raiders in that fight.

The exodus was the bandwagon jumping off the club after the Raiders weren't winning anything anymore (and because the club was being openly hostile to the fans at times, but that's a whole other thing).  BTW most of that bandwagon that left the Raiders went over to, you guessed it, the Brumbies.

That is kind of just how the sports market works in Canberra, whatever the most popular team is at any given moment is determined by fads created by whoever the most successful team is at any given moment . 

From 1987-2012 the Raiders were in the finals at least once every second year, and it made no difference to the Raiders popularity for most of that time because people don't care about finals appearances unless you are an actual competitor, and from about 99-2012 (with a couple of notable exceptions) the Raiders were just making up the numbers in the finals.

So unless that decent run of finals appearances are top 4 appearances were the Raiders go deep into the finals, it won't make much difference, and even if they do go on an extended period of being premiership contenders that won't last forever, and once the run is over the Brumbies will be waiting in the wings to capitalise. 

theres been loads of talk to the brumbies being killed off.

they were the ARUs first choice before they killed off the western force.

their crowds are at all time lows.

that golden era was based on once in a lifetime players, much like the raiders in the early 90s.  

the problem now for union is all the good australian schoolboys are signed up at an early age by nrl clubs.  the aru is left with the dregs.  who are the stars now ?  they had guys like gregan larkham etc.  other than israel folau i dont think many people can name a current wallaby.

the AFL is also agressively targetting their juniors.  AFL is in the sydney private schools.  schools like trinity grammar used to field five union teams in year 12, i think its down to two or three (not sure).

you could even say AFL has overtaken union in queensland and nsw, unions two heartland states.  its basically on par with soccer now in nsw and qld.

the raiders themselves have hardly been killing it for there to be such a bandwagon.  they still havent won a title in over 25 years.

heres some links about the brumbies being killed off / merging with melbourne :

https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/super-rugby/brumbies-boss-issues-dire-warning-after-woeful-canberra-crowds/news-story/60148344d62d238f7bcb131a69f5286c

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/act-brumbies-proud-history-saved-club-from-super-rugby-axe-aru-document-reveals-20170905-gybibf.html

2 hours ago, aj1908 said:

theres been loads of talk to the brumbies being killed off.

they were the ARUs first choice before they killed off the western force.

their crowds are at all time lows.

that golden era was based on once in a lifetime players, much like the raiders in the early 90s.  

the problem now for union is all the good australian schoolboys are signed up at an early age by nrl clubs.  the aru is left with the dregs.  who are the stars now ?  they had guys like gregan larkham etc.  other than israel folau i dont think many people can name a current wallaby.

the AFL is also agressively targetting their juniors.  AFL is in the sydney private schools.  schools like trinity grammar used to field five union teams in year 12, i think its down to two or three (not sure).

you could even say AFL has overtaken union in queensland and nsw, unions two heartland states.  its basically on par with soccer now in nsw and qld.

the raiders themselves have hardly been killing it for there to be such a bandwagon.  they still havent won a title in over 25 years.

heres some links about the brumbies being killed off / merging with melbourne :

https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/super-rugby/brumbies-boss-issues-dire-warning-after-woeful-canberra-crowds/news-story/60148344d62d238f7bcb131a69f5286c

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/act-brumbies-proud-history-saved-club-from-super-rugby-axe-aru-document-reveals-20170905-gybibf.html

You didn't actually read/understand what I said did you. . .

If the Brumbies were the first choice to be killed then they would have been killed off.

The proposal to merge the Brumbies and Rebels was thrown out there by supporters of the Force who were desperately looking for a way to save them from being cut from Super Rugby, the proposal was thrown out instantly, and hasn't been brought up since SR dropped the Force.

Do you realise that the Raiders have had crowds as low as the Brumbies in the past?

The ACT is probably RU's strongest heartland left, and the Brumbies struggles aren't necessarily a reflection of the strength of RU in the ACT either.

Finally stop trying to compare Canberra to Sydney/NSW and Brisbane/Queensland. Canberra is culturally and historically significantly different from either of them, and has a totally different sporting landscape, trying to compare them is like trying to compare pineapples and oranges.

28 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

You didn't actually read/understand what I said did you. . .

If the Brumbies were the first choice to be killed then they would have been killed off.

The proposal to merge the Brumbies and Rebels was thrown out there by supporters of the Force who were desperately looking for a way to save them from being cut from Super Rugby, the proposal was thrown out instantly, and hasn't been brought up since SR dropped the Force.

Do you realise that the Raiders have had crowds as low as the Brumbies in the past?

The ACT is probably RU's strongest heartland left, and the Brumbies struggles aren't necessarily a reflection of the strength of RU in the ACT either.

Finally stop trying to compare Canberra to Sydney/NSW and Brisbane/Queensland. Canberra is culturally and historically significantly different from either of them, and has a totally different sporting landscape, trying to compare them is like trying to compare pineapples and oranges.

Buddy I've been to Canberra loads of times stop making out it's so hard to understand 

IVe been to Queanbeyan oval in the 80s to watch my team lose.to.camberra.on the bell

Its freezing cold.  And fireworks and pot are legal lol

I've partied with nrl players at mooseheads

Yes all the public servant toffs have a thing for union 

The aru decided to kick out the brumbies then changed its mind 

Anyway well see whose right.  

I remember when the union world.cup.was on and they had a 100.million watchest league seemed to.be down on its knees.  John oneill.was saying union would take over from league.

Since.then it's collapsed.  I remember when average crowds were 20k.  

Now they don't even publish crowds for most games.because they are so bad.  

The crowd average for games they have given is around the same as a league ie around 10k.  That's bad 

If ralene castle.stays a few more years shell.finish the job off 

1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

Buddy I've been to Canberra loads of times stop making out it's so hard to understand 

IVe been to Queanbeyan oval in the 80s to watch my team lose.to.camberra.on the bell

Its freezing cold.  And fireworks and pot are legal lol

I've partied with nrl players at mooseheads

Yes all the public servant toffs have a thing for union

Fireworks have been illegal here for a decade now.

Pot isn't legal and never has been. It's decriminalised so long as it's small quantities for personal use and you aren't selling it.

Public servants aren't any more or less likely to "have a thing" for RU, it's people that were private school educated that are more likely to follow RU, and people from all classes work in the public service and the vast majority of them aren't rich.

And coming here "loads of times" doesn't mean that you "understand" the place, in fact you've demonstrated that your understanding of Canberra only goes so far as stereotypes of Canberra.

1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

The aru decided to kick out the brumbies then changed its mind 

That simply isn't true.

1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

I remember when the union world.cup.was on and they had a 100.million watchest league seemed to.be down on its knees.  John oneill.was saying union would take over from league.

Since.then it's collapsed.  I remember when average crowds were 20k.

If ralene castle.stays a few more years shell.finish the job off 

Just because something has collapsed doesn't mean that it can't be rebuilt, and RL has proven that time and again. 

Just like John O'Neill, Peter FitzSimons, and others predicted that RL would be dead in a generation while RU was riding high during and after the RWC, you now predict that RU will be dead in a generation or less while RL is riding high. Yet instead of RL dying in a generation like was predicted by the O'Neill's and FitzSimon's of the world, RL has rebounded from the SL war and it's aftermath and come back stronger then ever, and proven (again) how much things can change in a short time.   

You'd do well to keep that in mind next time you're ready to consign something to history, otherwise many of the things you consigned to history before they were dead and buried will come back to bite on the ######.

On 11/12/2019 at 22:41, aj1908 said:

Brisbane could actually handle two new teams at once.

redcliff is the ARLC appointed favourite.  they have a strong leagues club and juniors.  ipswich was formerly highlighted by david gallop as a major growth coridoor.

from a strategic standpoint there are hardly any negatives in doing this.

Broadcasters are keen for more queensland teams, people are bored with seeing the broncos every friday night.

brisbane can clearly support more teams.  the broncos turn over 50 million pa with hardly any effort.

it would be a major boost for nrl crowds as queensland clubs generally have much better crowds,  plus the benefit of having more derbies.

it would also annhialate AFL in queensland.  the suns get 25 million a year from the AFL and are a basket case.  the lions have been losing money for 10 years.

two more NRL clubs in brisbane would crush the AFL there.  it would probably force the AFL to relocate the suns to tasmania to survive.

makes more sense fighting AFL in rugby league territory in queensland than putting a club in perth who would need tens of millions each year more than other nrl clubs to survive and have to compete with one of the strongest AFL clubs, the eagles

Lions made a profit last season.

8 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

Fireworks have been illegal here for a decade now.

Pot isn't legal and never has been. It's decriminalised so long as it's small quantities for personal use and you aren't selling it.

Public servants aren't any more or less likely to "have a thing" for RU, it's people that were private school educated that are more likely to follow RU, and people from all classes work in the public service and the vast majority of them aren't rich.

And coming here "loads of times" doesn't mean that you "understand" the place, in fact you've demonstrated that your understanding of Canberra only goes so far as stereotypes of Canberra.

That simply isn't true.

Just because something has collapsed doesn't mean that it can't be rebuilt, and RL has proven that time and again. 

Just like John O'Neill, Peter FitzSimons, and others predicted that RL would be dead in a generation while RU was riding high during and after the RWC, you now predict that RU will be dead in a generation or less while RL is riding high. Yet instead of RL dying in a generation like was predicted by the O'Neill's and FitzSimon's of the world, RL has rebounded from the SL war and it's aftermath and come back stronger then ever, and proven (again) how much things can change in a short time.   

You'd do well to keep that in mind next time you're ready to consign something to history, otherwise many of the things you consigned to history before they were dead and buried will come back to bite on the ######.

Hey it's just my opinion 

I don't think ralene castle is reading my posts and getting angry over them 

I think there's way too many teams in Australia now in most sports and many won't survive especially with pay tv cutting costs 

"Don’t Expect NRL To Take ............ Seriously!"

For this new fill in as applicable competition mine is ...

Don’t Expect NRL To Take Anything Not NRL Seriously!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

10 hours ago, Oxford said:

"Don’t Expect NRL To Take ............ Seriously!"

For this new fill in as applicable competition mine is ...

Don’t Expect NRL To Take Anything Not NRL Seriously!

Don’t Expect NRL To Take Hosting A World Cup Seriously!

On 12/12/2019 at 11:17, aj1908 said:

Exactly 5 minutes in..

My favourite answer, “Zidane”. 

The profile of RU has clearly nosedived in Aus, and with the club scene entering even bigger turmoil with the South African clubs (and their tv money) pulling out of Super Rugby and heading north, the future looks grim (club level anyway). The ARU have been propped up by foreign tv money to date...Sky Sports in the UK paying for coverage of the Wallabies for instance (I can see that source of income declining too as interest here has declined massively in them since the days when the bledisloe Cup was a big deal, now it’s a non event that Sky barely advertises). If the ARU had to rely solely on income generated in Australia they would be in massive trouble.

@aj1908, I have to agree with @The Great Dane, there is no way on this continent that Brumbies were ever considered by the ARU for the waste bin. 

I also think you are ignoring the underbelly of interest RU has in this country. 

As for AFL losing the Suns, you might be right, but I reckon the Titans will go first. AFL is far too entrenched now to go the way of the dodo in any state.

Back to the thread, i have mentioned a few necessity expansion clubs in this and other threads.

I think we are unlikely to see anymore than two new clubs (if that, after reading the thoughts of Vlandys). Makes it difficult, but I would probably be looking at a Perth and NZ II addition and somehow converting Titans into South East Queensland. I can’t help but thinking that relaunching the Titans as the Crushers would be a good trick. Not because of any previous success, but, because they were a team designed for SE Queensland in the first place. People will remember that and perhaps they are in a more advantageous position to succeed now we near 25 years since SL war.

22 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

As for AFL losing the Suns, you might be right, but I reckon the Titans will go first. AFL is far too entrenched now to go the way of the dodo in any state.

Apart from mismanagement (which has been a consistent problem on the GC) there's no reason why the Titans can't be successful on the GC.

The Titans have a larger support base and are more successful then at least half of the Sydney clubs, and if most any of the other clubs had experienced the set backs that the Titans have then they would have folded years ago.

Just consider this statistic: There's been a Gold Coast club in the national first grade competition for 24 seasons (1988-98, 2007-19), in those 24 seasons the various GC clubs have only made the finals 4 time (97, 09, 10, 16). With a record like that any club is going to struggle to cement themselves in a market, and most of the other clubs would have folded a long time ago if they had a record like that.

Also the Titans can't be allowed to fold or move from the GC for strategic reasons, because if the Titans go while the Suns still exist it'd be a PR nightmare for RL and it'd give the AFL a once in a lifetime opportunity to totally cement the Suns into the GC.

45 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I would probably be looking at a Perth and NZ II addition and somehow converting Titans into South East Queensland.

There's only one NZ based bid that is publicly bidding for an NRL license, and it's a fanciful bid called the South Pacific Cyclones who would be based in Wellington but would play games all over the Pacific, i.e. it's not really a bid for an NZ team and it's not what the NRL needs in a second NZ club.

If/when the NRL call for bids new NZ bid teams could come out of woodwork, but as things stand there isn't really a bid for a license in NZ, which pretty much puts NZ off the table.

If only for financial reasons alone Brisbane is a must, but there's plenty of benefits aside from just the money. However relocating the Titans to Brisbane would not only be a PR disaster and a massive leg up for the AFL on the GC, but the vast majority of Brisbane wouldn't support them because they'll see them for what the are, a re-branded Titans, and they won't support the GC's sloppy seconds, especially when strong competition like the Broncos is right next door.

Brisbane definitely needs a second club, but it needs to be a new club otherwise it'll be a #######how that never meets it's true potential.

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

@aj1908, I have to agree with @The Great Dane, there is no way on this continent that Brumbies were ever considered by the ARU for the waste bin. 

I also think you are ignoring the underbelly of interest RU has in this country. 

Back to the thread, i have mentioned a few necessity expansion clubs in this and other threads.

I think we are unlikely to see anymore than two new clubs (if that, after reading the thoughts of Vlandys). Makes it difficult, but I would probably be looking at a Perth and NZ II addition and somehow converting Titans into South East Queensland. I can’t help but thinking that relaunching the Titans as the Crushers would be a good trick. Not because of any previous success, but, because they were a team designed for SE Queensland in the first place. People will remember that and perhaps they are in a more advantageous position to succeed now we near 25 years since SL war.

the AFLs pockets are bleeding dry though.

especially if the ARLC add redclff.

you could add another ten million pa to the losses of the suns and lions

the suns get 25 million a year off  the ARL plus loads of special draft concessions.  this is almost double what west coast eagles get.

the titans dont get anything extra in comparison compared to other clubs.

even with all that help the suns are hopeless.  they will end up in tasmania and GWS will end up in canberra.

you cant just put in a sport where there is no demand for it and spend hundreds of millions of dollars hoping it will work 

suns and GWS have had prob 1/2 billion dollars on them for nothing.

once the suns fold the titans will get back all the fans they lost before they came in 

they used to get over 20k before the suns came in and they had the problems with the centre of excellence.

and on super rugby its dead as a dodo.

im expecting the rebels to go next in the next five years. if the ARU can stabilse the ship then theyll be left with three teams.

the way its going now though that isnt even certain.  if they face a big cut in TV revenues they are stuffed.

9 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Apart from mismanagement (which has been a consistent problem on the GC) there's no reason why the Titans can't be successful on the GC.

The Titans have a larger support base and are more successful then at least half of the Sydney clubs, and if most any of the other clubs had experienced the set backs that the Titans have then they would have folded years ago.

Just consider this statistic: There's been a Gold Coast club in the national first grade competition for 24 seasons (1988-98, 2007-19), in those 24 seasons the various GC clubs have only made the finals 4 time (97, 09, 10, 16). With a record like that any club is going to struggle to cement themselves in a market, and most of the other clubs would have folded a long time ago if they had a record like that.

Also the Titans can't be allowed to fold or move from the GC for strategic reasons, because if the Titans go while the Suns still exist it'd be a PR nightmare for RL and it'd give the AFL a once in a lifetime opportunity to totally cement the Suns into the GC.

There's only one NZ based bid that is publicly bidding for an NRL license, and it's a fanciful bid called the South Pacific Cyclones who would be based in Wellington but would play games all over the Pacific, i.e. it's not really a bid for an NZ team and it's not what the NRL needs in a second NZ club.

If/when the NRL call for bids new NZ bid teams could come out of woodwork, but as things stand there isn't really a bid for a license in NZ, which pretty much puts NZ off the table.

If only for financial reasons alone Brisbane is a must, but there's plenty of benefits aside from just the money. However relocating the Titans to Brisbane would not only be a PR disaster and a massive leg up for the AFL on the GC, but the vast majority of Brisbane wouldn't support them because they'll see them for what the are, a re-branded Titans, and they won't support the GC's sloppy seconds, especially when strong competition like the Broncos is right next door.

Brisbane definitely needs a second club, but it needs to be a new club otherwise it'll be a #######how that never meets it's true potential.

if the ARLC were stupid enough to fold the titans it would hand the gold coast to AFL by deafult

i think its australias 4th biggest city.

it would be like the super league war aftermath where we bled fans to AFL and super rugby in sydney, canberra and queensland when clubs got killed off

and the problem is there are many people in the nrl who want the titans to go.  

Archived