Toronto Wolfpack approached to end Mitchell saga

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The default line from clubs wanting to move on players before their contract ends — "You’ll be playing reserve grade" — is loaded with dynamite. Look what happened at the Wests Tigers when then coach Jason Taylor pushed out Robbie Farah.

That won't happen at Easts. If I was Nick Politis and Trent Robinson had a dispute with Jesus Christ, I'd be telling Jesus to get on his bike.

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I tried to tell people this was happening a while back but was dismissed as crazy.   If the marquee player rule was up to three/four and the salary cap was increased Mitchell would certainly be coming to SL in a Wolfpack jersey...too bad.

"Raise The Cap!"

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I tried to tell people this was happening a while back but was dismissed as crazy.   If the marquee player rule was up to three/four and the salary cap was increased Mitchell would certainly be coming to SL in a Wolfpack jersey...too bad.

"Raise The Cap!"

K-man....see my bolding above.  After reading the linked article, to be frank, I don't want to see Mitchell anywhere near Toronto.  Sorry.   Shame as he would appear to be an outstanding rugby player.

52 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

K-man....see my bolding above.  After reading the linked article, to be frank, I don't want to see Mitchell anywhere near Toronto.  Sorry.   Shame as he would appear to be an outstanding rugby player.

Sonny Bill would have taken him under his wing and shown him the right path.

13 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Sonny Bill would have taken him under his wing and shown him the right path.

Kayakman you defiantly don't want Mitchell anywhere near the Wolfpack, even if Dollar Bill was going to take him under his wing. He's a massive myth that been pushed out by the Sydney media. 

He's got a bad attitude, and was dropped early in his career partly because of it. He's a massive grub on the field, that only gets away with three quarters of the stuff he gets away with by hiding behind the refs and the no punching rule, and unless there's a try on or there's a goal to be kicked he's nowhere to be seen on the field most of the time.

Also every time he's played in a rep team it's been a bit of a disaster, just watch his game against Tonga or watch him playing for the blues this year.

2 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Kayakman you defiantly don't want Mitchell anywhere near the Wolfpack, even if Dollar Bill was going to take him under his wing. He's a massive myth that been pushed out by the Sydney media. 

He's got a bad attitude, and was dropped early in his career partly because of it. He's a massive grub on the field, that only gets away with three quarters of the stuff he gets away with by hiding behind the refs and the no punching rule, and unless there's a try on or there's a goal to be kicked he's nowhere to be seen on the field most of the time.

Also every time he's played in a rep team it's been a bit of a disaster, just watch his game against Tonga or watch him playing for the blues this year.

Ok......OK Great Dane...I'll take your word on it....anyone else available over there that we can somehow sneak under the cap?...the artificially low cap.

1 hour ago, The Great Dane said:

Did he not make a great pass for the winning try in the NRL Grand final?

8 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Ok......OK Great Dane...I'll take your word on it....anyone else available over there that we can somehow sneak under the cap?...the artificially low cap.

I'm not sure of everybody that is available for next year at this point, but it'd be pretty slim pickings this late in the day.

However if you want a really good international outside back who'd come cheap then Jordan Rapana would be a really good signing. He took a contract in Japanese rugby that finishes in May, but the NRL has said they'll block him from coming back to the NRL after that contract is up. So you'll have to wait for him, but he'd probably come on a very good deal for the first year and for the price he's easily the best winger/fullback available.

If you are willing to wait for 2020 though then there's a ton of good players coming off contract, but the Wolfpack would need to get into the market now to have a serious chance of signing most of the best talent.

5 hours ago, SL17 said:

Available,is fine.. Unfortunately TWP salary cap is increasing by the minute.

Just like Catalans did.

The game carries rules. If you want them changing, simply create your own league.

Yeah, it's disgusting when a Club demands a change in the rules like say an increase in the salary cap.... 

I hope a super league club can sign him.

Clearly we need more marquee player spots. 

Or perhaps a club who won’t be using both marquee player spots should be able to sell/trade theirs to Toronto for cash or a player?

Either way. We need as many big names and stars playing in super league as possible. 

2 hours ago, Cdd said:

Or perhaps a club who won’t be using both marquee player spots should be able to sell/trade theirs to Toronto for cash or a player?

That is a very interesting angle you have thought of there...is that allowed?

1 minute ago, LR23 said:

No, otherwise Salford would have been on the phone offering you two.

Is one club not allowed to purchase a contract from another club?...I think this just might be doable undert the current rules.....GET SALFORD ON THE HORN ASAP!

3 hours ago, Cdd said:

I hope a super league club can sign him.

Clearly we need more marquee player spots. 

Either way. We need as many big names and stars playing in super league as possible. 

I seem to remember this was actually discussed a while back, but I cant remember what the outcome was. Its basically how the NFL draft works isnt it?

7 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Is one club not allowed to purchase a contract from another club?...I think this just might be doable undert the current rules.....GET SALFORD ON THE HORN ASAP!

You can buy out a contract but it counts on your cap. You can't buy out someone's marquee spot as this goes against the reasoning for the salary cap rules. You are stuck with these rules for now at least.

As much as I rate him and would like to see him over here It seems to me that he's just using Toronto as leverage to get a new gig in the NRL. He needs new advisors. 

1 hour ago, LR23 said:

You can't buy out someone's marquee spot as this goes against the reasoning for the salary cap rules.

That is your own opinion on the matter but there are other ways of looking at it...... you saying that it goes against 'reasoning' is purely subjective....buying an 'option' isn't against the salary cap as far as I can see.  Therefore, buying the option out on another teams marquee player could be interpreted as counting against their salary cap of the selling , not the cap of the purchasing team....why is this not plausible?

GET WAKEFIELD ON THE PHONE RIGHT NOW!

21 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

That is your own opinion on the matter but there are other ways of looking at it...... you saying that it goes against 'reasoning' is purely subjective....buying an 'option' isn't against the salary cap as far as I can see.  Therefore, buying the option out on another teams marquee player could be interpreted as counting against their salary cap of the selling , not the cap of the purchasing team....why is this not plausible?

GET WAKEFIELD ON THE PHONE RIGHT NOW!

It's not subjective and not my opinion unfortunately as the rules are clearly written down and online for you to take a look if you want to: https://www.rugby-league.com/flipbooks/2019-operational-rules-tiers-1-3/mobile/index.html#p=274. What I meant by 'reasoning' is covered in section 1.1.

The full wage of a player on your team is counted against your salary cap unless covered by one of the exemptions - there isn't an exemption for what you have described above. I admire your enthusiasm but you are clutching at straws with this one!

12 hours ago, SL17 said:

Available,is fine.. Unfortunately TWP salary cap is increasing by the minute.

Just like Catalans did.

The game carries rules. If you want them changing, simply create your own league.

Maybe you can advise them how to do it Degsy.

3 hours ago, LR23 said:

It's not subjective and not my opinion unfortunately as the rules are clearly written down and online for you to take a look if you want to: https://www.rugby-league.com/flipbooks/2019-operational-rules-tiers-1-3/mobile/index.html#p=274. What I meant by 'reasoning' is covered in section 1.1.

The full wage of a player on your team is counted against your salary cap unless covered by one of the exemptions - there isn't an exemption for what you have described above. I admire your enthusiasm but you are clutching at straws with this one!

Quite a read...really in depth...is there no way around this silly low cap?

Archived