BBC to show Challenge Cup first round draw live on BBC website

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/50646131

The draw for the first round of the Challenge Cup will be shown live on the BBC Sport website on Thursday.

A total of 44 teams will be in the hat, including Thatto Heath Crusaders, who made it to the fifth round last season.

RFL Vice-President Carl Hall and England Wheelchair player Wayne Boardman will make the draw at 18:30 BST.

Super League sides enter in the fifth and sixth round including 2019 winners Warrington Wolves.

Five clubs - Hammersmith Hills Hoists, Bedford Tigers, London Chargers, Torfaen Tigers and Wests Warriors - are members of the new Southern Conference League, while Ireland's Longhorns, Edinburgh Eagles from Scotland, and Rhondda Outlaws and Torfaen Tigers from Wales represent the Celtic nations.

First round ties will be held over the weekend of 11-12 January.

Draw numbers

1 Ashton Bears

2 Barrow Island

3 Bedford Tigers

4 Bentley

5 British Army

6 Dewsbury Moor

7 Distington

8 East Hull

9 Edinburgh Eagles

10 Featherstone Lions

11 Great Britain Police

12 Hammersmith Hills Hoists

13 Hunslet Club Parkside

14 Ince Rose Bridge

15 Jarrow Vikings

16 Leigh Miners Rangers

17 Lock Lane

18 London Chargers

19 Longhorns

20 Milford

21 Normanton Knights

22 Oulton Raiders

23 Pilkington Recs

24 RAF

25 Rhondda Outlaws

26 Rochdale Mayfield

27 Royal Navy

28 Saddleworth Rangers

29 Siddal

30 Sherwood Wolf Hunt

31 Skirlaugh

32 Stanningley

33 Thatto Heath Crusaders

34 Thornhill Trojans

35 Torfaen Tigers

36 Underbank Rangers

37 Upton

38 West Bank Bears

39 West Bowling

40 West Hull

41 Wests Warriors

42 Wigan St Judes

43 Wigan St Patricks

44 York Acorn

48 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Some new and familiar names in there for me.

Anyone shed any light on some of the new/newish clubs?

All the southern clubs are pretty well established. Hoping at least one gets drawn at home.  Be interested to see how Edinburgh do. 

23 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

All the southern clubs are pretty well established. Hoping at least one gets drawn at home.  Be interested to see how Edinburgh do. 

Do you know what sort of support teams in the Southern Conference get ERL, if any? I mean attendances btw, not financial support. 

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do you know what sort of support teams in the Southern Conference get ERL, if any? I mean attendances btw, not financial support. 

Some are reasonable in London. Interestingly Auz and Kiwi expats more likely to follow a team like London Chargers than Skolars. When we’ve had cup ties at New River there have been around 500 there from London. Don’t know about Bedford. 

Can't be.The BBC are prejudiced against the sport.

They neither mentioned the game on a Railway journeys programme,or during coverage of a cup draw in another sport.

I read it on here...?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

5 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/50646131

The draw for the first round of the Challenge Cup will be shown live on the BBC Sport website on Thursday.

A total of 44 teams will be in the hat, including Thatto Heath Crusaders, who made it to the fifth round last season.

RFL Vice-President Carl Hall and England Wheelchair player Wayne Boardman will make the draw at 18:30 BST.

Super League sides enter in the fifth and sixth round including 2019 winners Warrington Wolves.

Five clubs - Hammersmith Hills Hoists, Bedford Tigers, London Chargers, Torfaen Tigers and Wests Warriors - are members of the new Southern Conference League, while Ireland's Longhorns, Edinburgh Eagles from Scotland, and Rhondda Outlaws and Torfaen Tigers from Wales represent the Celtic nations.

First round ties will be held over the weekend of 11-12 January.

Draw numbers

1 Ashton Bears

2 Barrow Island

3 Bedford Tigers

4 Bentley

5 British Army

6 Dewsbury Moor

7 Distington

8 East Hull

9 Edinburgh Eagles

10 Featherstone Lions

11 Great Britain Police

12 Hammersmith Hills Hoists

13 Hunslet Club Parkside

14 Ince Rose Bridge

15 Jarrow Vikings

16 Leigh Miners Rangers

17 Lock Lane

18 London Chargers

19 Longhorns

20 Milford

21 Normanton Knights

22 Oulton Raiders

23 Pilkington Recs

24 RAF

25 Rhondda Outlaws

26 Rochdale Mayfield

27 Royal Navy

28 Saddleworth Rangers

29 Siddal

30 Sherwood Wolf Hunt

31 Skirlaugh

32 Stanningley

33 Thatto Heath Crusaders

34 Thornhill Trojans

35 Torfaen Tigers

36 Underbank Rangers

37 Upton

38 West Bank Bears

39 West Bowling

40 West Hull

41 Wests Warriors

42 Wigan St Judes

43 Wigan St Patricks

44 York Acorn

Great from my perspective that the Armed forces are there again and the GB police.

13 hours ago, EssexRL said:

Sherwood Wolf Hunt are a new one on me.

I presume they’re a Nottinghamshire side.

Do we expect the BBC to cover one of the first round ties via the BBC website?

18 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Some new and familiar names in there for me.

Anyone shed any light on some of the new/newish clubs?

The usual venues for the southern sides are 

Bedford Tigers play in Biddenham about three miles from the town centre, they have been in existence at least 15 years and superseded other teams from the town. Modem facility off field but nothing pitch side for spectators

Hammersmith Hill Hoists and West Tigers. The first are an almost all Aussie team and the second have I believe a strong kiwi connection. Both have used Chiswick RU and Wasps training ground in Acton / Ealing. A match at Skolars more likely if drawn at home

London Chargers. League matches tend to be at Old Blues which is near Raynes Park, Wimbledon. Cup matches recently have also been at Skolars.

Rhonnda use Pontypridd RU so if at home, will be the most impressive of the venues. Ground used occasionally for Wales RL fixtures and has capacity of over 10k

Sherwood Wolf Hunt are based next to Mansfield Woodhouse station. Reasonable facilities as ground is a former miner welfare sports facilities

Torfaen Tigers are fairly nomadic but last year we’re at New Panteg RU which is walkable from Pontypool Station. Only a railed off pitch

Lomghorns are the Irish representative. They play at Ashbourne RU just outside the built up area of Dublin. Decent facility with cover of on main pitch

I think only Jarrow and Edinburgh in draw which would be a new ground for me and both a bit far for me in January, unless chargers play at Old Blues

5 hours ago, groundhopper said:

The usual venues for the southern sides are 

Bedford Tigers play in Biddenham about three miles from the town centre, they have been in existence at least 15 years and superseded other teams from the town. Modem facility off field but nothing pitch side for spectators

Hammersmith Hill Hoists and West Tigers. The first are an almost all Aussie team and the second have I believe a strong kiwi connection. Both have used Chiswick RU and Wasps training ground in Acton / Ealing. A match at Skolars more likely if drawn at home

London Chargers. League matches tend to be at Old Blues which is near Raynes Park, Wimbledon. Cup matches recently have also been at Skolars.

Rhonnda use Pontypridd RU so if at home, will be the most impressive of the venues. Ground used occasionally for Wales RL fixtures and has capacity of over 10k

Sherwood Wolf Hunt are based next to Mansfield Woodhouse station. Reasonable facilities as ground is a former miner welfare sports facilities

Torfaen Tigers are fairly nomadic but last year we’re at New Panteg RU which is walkable from Pontypool Station. Only a railed off pitch

Lomghorns are the Irish representative. They play at Ashbourne RU just outside the built up area of Dublin. Decent facility with cover of on main pitch

I think only Jarrow and Edinburgh in draw which would be a new ground for me and both a bit far for me in January, unless chargers play at Old Blues

Rhondda are now in their own facilities that they acquired from a rugby union club that went pop.

18 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Rhondda are now in their own facilities that they acquired from a rugby union club that went pop.

Thanks for the info, didn’t realise Rhondda had moved

Twitter shows this to be Glyncoch. This has been used before by RL. I think it was Valley Cougars and was a one off but managed to find out about the game attend

Will probably go back if Rhondda are drawn at home

in reply to other poster, RAF have used Cranwell in Lincolnshire recently but other venues in the past so not guaranteed. They don’t use the stadium pitch

Navy are at Portsmouth, decent ground with stand. It is technically on military land with a gatehouse but no problems with access

2019 Challenge Cup: First Round Draw

Rochdale Mayfield v London Chargers
GB Police v Torfaen Tigers
Edinburgh Eagles v Ashton Bears
Leigh Miners Rangers v Stanningley
Underbank Rangers v Lock Lane
West Bank Bears v Royal Navy
Featherstone Lions v West Bowling
British Army v Oulton Raiders
Normanton Knights v Irish Longhorns
Barrow Island v Rhondda Outlaws
Pilkington Recs v West Hull
Thornhill Trojans v Thatto Heath
York Acorn v Hammersmith Hills Hoists
Siddal v Saddleworth
Sherwood Wolf Hunt v Wests Warriors
Wigan St Patricks v Dewsbury Moor
Distington v Bedford Tigers
Milford v Wigan St Judes
Upton v Jarrow Vikings
Skirlaugh v Hunslet Club Parkside
RAF v Bentley
Ince Rose Bridge v East Hull

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

One match streamed by the BBC, one streamed by OurLeague.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

52 minutes ago, bamfordsbeans said:

Good segment on Look North about Bentley.They seem to have made great progress in recent years particularly with the youngsters.

Not within 2 miles of the M62 though; seen it all before, they’re big time Charlies, fly by nights, they’ll never last. 

2 hours ago, groundhopper said:

Not sure why I posted where the clubs play

Apart from the armed forces all six teams south of Nottingham drawn away

A one in 64 chance in normal circumstances 

At least BARLA said in advance one year southern teams would have to travel

A regionalised draw would seem sensible at this stage - Rhonda travelling to Barrow Island could be crippling financially, same with London to York and Rochdale, it’s not like these teams are semi professional. 

Archived