Matty Smith leaves Catalans by mutual consent

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

Do London need a half after Brock Lamb leaving? Or maybe Hudds?

No thanks.

We have Morgan Smith and Aston. Plus Meadows in the wings.

Never been a particular fan of his. ( as if he knows or cares!) He did have some very good games at Wigan, that's true. But a good kicking game? Not sure I agree with that when kicking on the last. maybe his team mates not quick enough?

However, Lance Todd winner, 723 points for Wigan in 139 games, three Grand Finals, one as a winner, and deservedly man of the match in the final England V NZ test at the DW in 2015.  But something not quite right when you've played for 7 different clubs. 

Of course, we don't really know why he was released by Catalans...or any of the other clubs he played for. 

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Never been a particular fan of his. ( as if he knows or cares!) He did have some very good games at Wigan, that's true. But a good kicking game? Not sure I agree with that when kicking on the last. maybe his team mates not quick enough?

However, Lance Todd winner, 723 points for Wigan in 139 games, three Grand Finals, one as a winner, and deservedly man of the match in the final England V NZ test at the DW in 2015.  But something not quite right when you've played for 7 different clubs. 

Of course, we don't really know why he was released by Catalans...or any of the other clubs he played for. 

Quite a steady player but McNamara quotes indicate he just didn’t fit in.

That point about players having a big amount if clubs isn’t far off the mark imo.  

Give him a simple game plan and structured plays and he's a decent half. I think that's why he went well at Wigan under Wane for a decent spell, there wasn't really any expectation for him to set the game alight or play what was in front of him, it was all about getting the ball to the right players at the right time to execute the plays. Similarly his kicking game is half decent but predictable.

Put him in a team with less structured play where the key players have a bit more freedom to play the situation, take the line on and he struggles. You're not likely to see that match winning piece of magic or conjuring of something from nothing that a lot of people want to see from a half back. He's just not that type of player.

Like painting your walls beige. Sure it does a job, but it's a bit, meh...

16 minutes ago, RayCee said:

I visit a Catalan forum on occasion and he didn't seem popular among the fans commenting there. 

Can’t go on those views much.  Represented England so not a dud by any stretch.

I think Moove sums it up though.  Polar opposite to Albert Kelly.

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

Those man of the match performances for England and Lance to have one big similarity. Both were played in bad weather conditions what suited his game. 

19 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Toronto?

If he isn't 'finished' and can get himself back into shape then that would be a very good shout. They could do with some experience and marshalling in the middle for this transition year. They'd obviously prefer a bigger name but needs must.

40 minutes ago, LR23 said:

If he isn't 'finished' and can get himself back into shape then that would be a very good shout. They could do with some experience and marshalling in the middle for this transition year. They'd obviously prefer a bigger name but needs must.

They certainly need another halfback. They are probably the weakest in that area in SL.

10 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Smith was finished at Wigan, he was certainly over the hill at Saints and he was absolutely abysmal for Catalans. I will be shocked if he gets another go in Super League but I don’t know if his arrogance would see him drop to the Championship. 

Would say finished after Wigan.

Can see where you are coming from with the rest of your post.

Archived