NRL rule changes approved

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

You do realise this is already a rule internationally?

I'm 99.9% sure you've always been able to tackle an attacking player in the air. It is in Australia anyway I'm not 100% on worldwide but I assume it would be the same.

5 hours ago, jim_57 said:

20/40 - Will hardly ever be attempted, a but gimmicky but overall not fussed.

No Tackling in the air at all - Will be a disaster, tall wingers will have an absolute field day and it will become the go to tactic for every team moreso than it already is. It will also result in some farcial sinbinnings and even penalty trys when the defending players tries to compete for the ball but makes contact with the attacking player.

Challenge - Not bad but needs to have set guidelines on when it can be used. 

Scenario: Team A makes a break downfield with their player tackled 5 metres short of the try line. Team B defense is absolutely shot. Team A goes to play the ball for a simplw shift to score BUT Team B captain challenges saying he saw the Team A player knock-on. Play is reset and defensive line is reset.

20/40, very gimmicky. The option to get the feed by kicking the ball to touch at a 20m restart is already as rare as rocking horse dung, I don’t imagine seeing players taking that option mid set now its available.

Disagree w you on tackling in the air. No player should be tackled in the air. If a player is not making a legitimate attempt to catch the ball whilst in the air, then penalise him.

Challenge... agree w you again. Must only be available at stoppages in play like turnovers, infringements or occasions of potential scoring.

3 hours ago, jim_57 said:

I'm 99.9% sure you've always been able to tackle an attacking player in the air. It is in Australia anyway I'm not 100% on worldwide but I assume it would be the same.

You have never been able to tackle in the air whilst I've watched the game. I'm actually surprised this is allowed in the NRL.

Your situations haven't gone to fruition at all. Contact with legitimately going for the ball is penalised. Just go for the ball. It's dangerous to tackle a player who isn't on the ground as you have far less control over them and they have no control of themselves.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

You have never been able to tackle in the air whilst I've watched the game. I'm actually surprised this is allowed in the NRL.

Your situations haven't gone to fruition at all. Contact with legitimately going for the ball is penalised. Just go for the ball. It's dangerous to tackle a player who isn't on the ground as you have far less control over them and they have no control of themselves.

It's always been a rule as long as I can remember, I can't say whether it was just an NRL/Australia rule or not. You still get penalised if the player got in to a dangerous position but you were always aloud to wrap up the player if they caught the ball. I'm surprised it's been different internationally all these years if that is correct.

The rule as it was didn't really result any serious situations from memory, now though you can bet the NRL refs will over enforce it. We'll see I guess.

12 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

It's always been a rule as long as I can remember, I can't say whether it was just an NRL/Australia rule or not. You still get penalised if the player got in to a dangerous position but you were always aloud to wrap up the player if they caught the ball. I'm surprised it's been different internationally all these years if that is correct.

The rule as it was didn't really result any serious situations from memory, now though you can bet the NRL refs will over enforce it. We'll see I guess.

Being able to tackle the attacking player in the air Is an NRL only rule SL and international rules it isn’t allowed. There are some NRL only rules I like such as being able to strip the ball if the player is attempting to pass or score a try. This one though has never made any sense to me if it’s too dangerous to tackle a defender in the air why is it less dangerous to tackle an attacker in the air. 

28 minutes ago, Allora said:

You cannot tackle a player going for the ball in the air in the NRL.

It is a penalty.

You can contest for the ball.

You could previously if it was an opposition player off an opposition kick, as long as you didn't get them in a dangerous position it was fair play.

34 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Being able to tackle the attacking player in the air Is an NRL only rule SL and international rules it isn’t allowed. There are some NRL only rules I like such as being able to strip the ball if the player is attempting to pass or score a try. This one though has never made any sense to me if it’s too dangerous to tackle a defender in the air why is it less dangerous to tackle an attacker in the air. 

Fair enough, I didn't know that. So really this is the NRL changing one of their own unique rules back to the standard.

4 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

20/40, very gimmicky. The option to get the feed by kicking the ball to touch at a 20m restart is already as rare as rocking horse dung, I don’t imagine seeing players taking that option mid set now its available.

Disagree w you on tackling in the air. No player should be tackled in the air. If a player is not making a legitimate attempt to catch the ball whilst in the air, then penalise him.

Challenge... agree w you again. Must only be available at stoppages in play like turnovers, infringements or occasions of potential scoring.

I thought the 20/40 thing was at first, but it sure opens it up once the kick has been made and ensures not so many are in the defensive line.

4 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I thought the 20/40 thing was at first, but it sure opens it up once the kick has been made and ensures not so many are in the defensive line.

You say that, but currently when a team restarts on the 20 with a kick to touch instead of tapping the ball, they earn the restart if they find touch, yet that niche is never attempted or capitalised upon.

I can’t imagine that it would be any easier mid set with the requirement to kick it a minimum of 40m. Do you?

15 hours ago, snapski said:

I dislike the 20/40 rule immensely. It negates what could be a very strong defensive set, and also adds more unwarranted kicking into the game.  Be turning it into that other code.

I don't really agree.  RU has unlimited tackles, we have 6, so we are bound to have kicking, plenty of it.  With RU these days you get endless recycling of rucks and kicks are far less than before.

With a 40/20 you get the skill of bouncing the ball into touch being rewarded. And if the attacker "dummies" the kick, the defence has already pulled back some of its players.

13 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

You may be right in perfect world theory, but, your suggestion is unfortunately fanciful.

The NRL cannot rely on the IRL to improve the sport as a spectacle to the fans. In fact, the NRL would be negligent to rely on the IRL (with employees you can count with one hand) to make any decisions in the interest of the sport’s success in Australia, let alone have the IRL dictate and enforce changes.

The IRL can’t enforce the NRL to do anything. That’s just a simple power balance matter.

At least the decisions were made in consultation with the sport’s stakeholders. Over 20,000 fans answered the NRLs poll. I answered it. I answered it last year. It was about 50 questions long. I don’t remember the IRL running a similar poll asking for input from fans on how the game can be improved. In turn, I am so far, very satisfied with the NRL making their own changes to laws and interpretations.

I accept that the NRL is so powerful within the game that it can do what it wants & there is very little any other organisation can do about it. I also accept that the intentions of the NRL are to improve the game. Whether all the rule changes do so remains to be seen as there doesn't appear to have been any trial of these changes. 

However, as the game continues to grow internationally, I still think that individual RL nations having free reign to change the rules at will could cause problems further down the line of the sports development. To ignore the issue is possibly just storing up problems in the future. 

I know this is hypothetical, but what concerns me is that with the current set up, we could in theory in 10/15 years time have English RL rules, French RL rules, NZ RL rules, Serbian RL rules, Canadian RL rules etc...It then becomes take your pick as to which set of rules would any new RL playing nation adopt - or why not make your own up? 

In my opinion, it has the potential to make the sport look ridiculous. 

I just feel that a system needs to be in place whereby the sport is flexible enough to allow rule changes to be tried out & that all the IRL full members have an input. This input need not be equal (i.e. one vote per nation) but could be weighted so that the NRL has the largest number of votes - down to (for example) the newest/smallest nation having one vote - then at least there is some sort of democratic system in place that acknowledges the NRLs undoubted dominance, but at least gives everyone an input & hopefully avoids the 'pick your own rules' situation that we have at the moment.

I also wonder if this may have any bearing on our application for GAISF. Maybe it's not something that the GAISF are that bothered about. However, if I were an organisation that wanted to find any way possible of trying to scupper RLs application of becoming a permanent GAISF member then I would certainly make sure that the GAISF were aware of the potential for a free for all concerning the sports rules - which demonstrates that the so called world governing body making the GAISF application is in fact no such thing.

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

You say that, but currently when a team restarts on the 20 with a kick to touch instead of tapping the ball, they earn the restart if they find touch, yet that niche is never attempted or capitalised upon.

I can’t imagine that it would be any easier mid set with the requirement to kick it a minimum of 40m. Do you?

Not sure I understand mate, but with the opportunity to kick it would put pressure on the defending team to cover that kick, thus taking out 3 or 4 players from the line.

I never always thought it was the right thing to do, to get too close immediately. Normally the defending team are chasing their arris off to get back in position, that’s why the quick tap where possible.  

On 06/12/2019 at 02:20, Man of Kent said:

Fascinating set of changes for 2020. A touch gimmicky, perhaps, so will be interesting to see the impact.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/06/nrl-announces-rule-changes-for-scrums-trainers-2040-kick-endorses-challenge-system/

Good to see a clampdown on water-carriers/former international half-back coaches is coming.

Approved by whom? The IRL?

Just highlights yet again why our poor old game isn't taken seriously 

7 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Not sure I understand mate, but with the opportunity to kick it would put pressure on the defending team to cover that kick, thus taking out 3 or 4 players from the line.

I never always thought it was the right thing to do, to get too close immediately. Normally the defending team are chasing their arris off to get back in position, that’s why the quick tap where possible.  

What I mean is, when a team finds touch from a kick at a 20m restart, they get the head and feed (or tap, depending on which country you are in ?).

Correct, defending players are chasing their arris off to get back in position at 20m restarts. So there are already opportunities to find touch and retain possession from 20m, but, teams do not take them. The 20/40 will be even more difficult, so I expect less attempts.

I can’t remember any team being tackled five times within 30m of their own line. I think the safe option coaches will want is to aim to at least approach the 40 and go for the 40/20, at least securing good field position if unsuccessful.

@Pyjamarama this has no bearing on GAISF. There are plenty of GAISF sports with varying continental domestic rules to those of the international game. The first that come to mind are Baseball, Basketball and Ice Hockey.

As for trialing the new rules, the IRL can consider this as a trial of new rules. NRL rules often get adopted anyway.

Thinking about the captains call a bit further, it may give referees the strength to award or disallow scoring plays without video review and speeding up the play.

The obvious one I would want to keep a review for would be for an attempted field goal in a tight match in the last ten minutes. We all know markers and defenders leave before the PTB has been taken. Here is a chance to take the field goal and if missed, then ask for a video review and likely get a penalty closer to the sticks because the opponents were offside.

On 06/12/2019 at 18:29, Yakstorm said:

No, generally only the Premiership. Sometimes they will be extended to the NSW & Queensland Cups, but most competitions play International rules.

All rule changes should be run thru the International Rugby League board and approved for a universal set of rules worldwide. Very small-time thinking. So they consulted the fans did they? Did they consult the French Rugby League, who have been running Rugby League competitions since 1934? Or the RFL since 1895? No self-respecting sport does this. Unilateral rule changes might work for AFL and NFL but they are not international sports. 

On 07/12/2019 at 23:31, Sports Prophet said:

@Pyjamarama 

As for trialing the new rules, the IRL can consider this as a trial of new rules. NRL rules often get adopted anyway.

Governing bodies are usually told about trials beforehand. In union they run them with SA universities or something 

6 hours ago, John Rhino said:

Governing bodies are usually told about trials beforehand. In union they run them with SA universities or something 

Maybe, but this isn’t a usual circumstance is it. This is a national governing body with over 100 staff that between itself and it’s members, turn over hundreds of millions of dollars and the other is Nigel and a couple of staff with fortunately no influence over how the NRL is directed.

On 09/12/2019 at 05:39, Bluebags1973 said:

All rule changes should be run thru the International Rugby League board and approved for a universal set of rules worldwide. Very small-time thinking. So they consulted the fans did they? Did they consult the French Rugby League, who have been running Rugby League competitions since 1934? Or the RFL since 1895? No self-respecting sport does this. Unilateral rule changes might work for AFL and NFL but they are not international sports. 

Works in ice hockey, basketball and baseball as well FYI. The US national governing bodies of those sports seem to be doing ok, as are their international governing bodies.

Why on earth would the NRL consult French and UK based fans on how to make the sport attractive to Australian fans? ? 

That would be like having 2nd tier teams with their own self interest, dictate the future of the sport for the greater audience... oh wait, think I’ve heard that one before.

for those worried about the 20/40 rule, it is a difficult skill and a risky one as if you get it wrong you are giving the ball away around the half way line potentially.. the idea of going for depth and defending hard is still going to be a good safe option. the 40/20 has been around a while now and they are still a rare sight... kicking 40 meters for touch and missing the dropped wingers (who are dropping to stop it going out) is very difficult. 

7 minutes ago, RP London said:

for those worried about the 20/40 rule, it is a difficult skill and a risky one as if you get it wrong you are giving the ball away around the half way line potentially.. the idea of going for depth and defending hard is still going to be a good safe option. the 40/20 has been around a while now and they are still a rare sight... kicking 40 meters for touch and missing the dropped wingers (who are dropping to stop it going out) is very difficult. 

This rule does nothing to promote or reward the team that is leading after 70 minutes. 

Successfully executed, it will fail to reward the team that deserves rewarding.

13 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Works in ice hockey, basketball and baseball as well FYI. The US national governing bodies of those sports seem to be doing ok, as are their international governing bodies.

Why on earth would the NRL consult French and UK based fans on how to make the sport attractive to Australian fans? ? 

That would be like having 2nd tier teams with their own self interest, dictate the future of the sport for the greater audience... oh wait, think I’ve heard that one before.

If your argument is correct, this annual rule tinkering method should be encouraged throughout all the other RL nations.

Every RL nation should be encouraged once a year to alter the rules solely to make the sport attractive to their own nation. The more sets of rules the better - what could possibly go wrong for a growing international sport? 

We could even have regional variations in the same country (introduce lineouts under Queensland rules, have 16 a side under Yorkshire rules). Why only do this once a year - bring in Easter rule tinkering as well. Consultation & communication should be avoided. 

The annual NRL rule changes are so successful that they feel compelled to change them again every 12 months.

There may be a few other sports which have rule variations, but I suspect the vast majority don't. Even the ones that do surely don't feel the need to change them so frequently.

Regardless of what other sports do, we need to consider what is best for our game. Each year our sport is being played in nations new to RL. So surely it is common sense to have a sensible unified global policy to play under one set of rules, and to retain some semblance of control on reviewing and implementing any rule changes for the benefit of the whole game & not just the NRL.

Archived